4 Speed or 727?

-
I just took out a 727 and put a 4 speed in, Just plain fun for the street........I guess you know my answer.

Attachments

• Picture 1025.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 132
No one has brought it up yet so I'll blurt it out-- get your fun side steppin' the clutch at 6 grand>bang the 1-2 & 2-3 with the ratchet shifter to the 727.

ClutchFlite accept no substitute.

i would like to ask a question tho, why do you guys change the valve bodies over? id drive and have driven an auto 3 spd like a manual before so you can shift it yourself and still have a d for drive when you dont wanna shift? just asking cause i dont know if there was a better beneift to a manual vb verse rowing a stock vb
The two main benefits I know of is that the full manual vb gives you the benefit of starting in second or third gear if you ever have to. For people like me this is a benefit as I have got my car stuck in wet grass in my yard a few times or like that that time my junior year when I went to go play for graduation and they were parking us in the grass. Then the down pour came and I came close to getting stuck in the mud. That was a bad year, the band lost $8,000 insound equipment and somebody got struck by lightning.:eek:ops: Also too, I drive my car year round and it would benice to have the ability to start in second or third gear on ice.

The reverse pattern is just so that in the heat of the moment you cant dump the car in neutral at WOT. Me personally, I am not much a fan of reverse patterns cause I live in a hilly area and going down big hills, its nice to be able to shift in neutral instead of letting my slant rev throttle closed at 3,500 rpm. A reverse pattern will not allow this asfar as I know because instead of your shift pattern being P N D 2 1 it becomes P N 1 2 3. Now maybe if the high speed govenor still controls the valvebody and you are able to go from 3rd to neutral without the tranny shifting into 2nd then 1st to getto neutral, I could live with the reverse pattern.

I love four speed manuals but Im thinking with the 440 an auto would be good. In stop & go traffic, like the Woodward Dream Cruise, manuals are a pain. So i say 4 speed manual unless you have a lot of traffic to deal with.

its nice to be able to shift in neutral instead of letting my slant rev throttle closed at 3,500 rpm. A reverse pattern will not allow this asfar as I know .

This depends on the shifter gate and "how fast you are."

If you have a shifter gate that allows it, you can "slam" the shifter from 3 through 2 - 1 to N so fast that it doesn't have time to shift.

I just LOVE my manual body. I bought a reverse because I "found" it good price used. I would not necessarily buy a reverse for street use, user perference

I wish I'd had one YEARS ago in the winter. I did used to have an old 78 Ferd LTDII (the SCUD missile, AKA, low flying, poorly guided missile) and on a Ferd C4--C6, putting the shifter in 2 results in STARTING in 2, which is pretty darn handy in winter driving, something that GM nor Mopar "did."

i love manuals but only cause well i cant drive it like a hot rod and you get that cool manual take off sound. but im liking the idea of a 318 727 idea as long as i can still pull burn outs easily like i can with a manual. im 25 and i like just like being rowdy and showing off.

..the son said he didn't need to prove his masculinity :) so the 727 was great...besides, in a race between the 2 (like cars) the 727 is faster...

So we are tossing in a ratchet shifter..best of both worlds..

Besides, in heavy traffic, a heavy clutch can be a drag..

So my parents went over to Scotland in the early 60's. When they went to rent a car, they figured that being on the other side was just enough to deal with since they were sight seeing...... so they asked for an auto. The quick response was "are you disabled ! ".

from experience ...a four speed is cool but will add a whole bunch of money to the build .....to use a cast engine like that you are going to have pilot bearing issues and need a balanced flywheel which adds to the cost ......plus the fit will fight you .....exhaust don't usually want to go around Z-bars very easy .....a lot of issues will come up

Good info. That is good to know, plus i already have the 727 from the motor home. Looks like i need to change the tail shaft though.

A motorhome is probably a steel-crank, heavy-rod motor, that MIGHT be drilled for a pilot pushing. Is it from a class A or a class C?

-
Back