4 speed VS Automatic

-
my 505 in Hemiroid is a street engine that runs on pump gas. im not at all threatend by your swiss cheese excuse of a dart. your real quick with personl atacks on people. tell me, you going that fast on motor or you got the little blue bottle to help you. if you like, i'll pull the street cam out and put some lift in this *****, then ill drive right around your bad *** small block while im shifting gears and playing the radio, bet your car doesn't have one of those. :thebirdm:

now i remember why i hate car forums

my 505 in Hemiroid is a street engine that runs on pump gas. im not at all threatend by your swiss cheese excuse of a dart. your real quick with personl atacks on people. tell me, you going that fast on motor or you got the little blue bottle to help you. if you like, i'll pull the street cam out and put some lift in this *****, then ill drive right around your bad *** small block while im shifting gears and playing the radio, bet your car doesn't have one of those. :thebirdm:

now i remember why i hate car forums
what do you mean by personal attacks on people? where did I attack anybody? my car is a all out drag car not a street car. I,m sorry it affends you but that's life. and if you take YOUR CAR off street and change a few things it will run in the mid 9's maybe with a chev power gluide. and old swiss cheese is aLL MOPAR!

the day my car has a powerglide in it is the day it will burn!!! :burnout:although it might get a top loader based Jerico :toothy10:

the day my car has a powerglide in it is the day it will burn!!! :burnout:although it might get a top loader based Jerico :toothy10:
IS THE JERICO A 4 OR 5 SPEED I USE TO RACE A 4 SD IN A RECORD HOLDING C STOCK CAR IN 1967 AND SAME MUNCIE CLOSE RATIO IN A F MOD PERDUCTION CAR. THAT WAS LAST CAR I RACED A 4 SPD. THAT WAS BACK IN 1967 THROUGH 76. I DO LIKE THEM BUT I GUESS I'M GETTING TO OLD FOR THEM.IF YOU LIKE PULLING GEARS GO FOR IT. GARY

they make a few different transmissions. i was going to go with a DR4, its a 4 speed and you can get it with slilders so it can be downshifted on the street. For now i have a Libertys pro shifted hemi box im gonna run. i had a 727 in the car with all A&A parts that my dad put together. really good working trans, i just had a TCI super street fighter convertor in it though and it wasn't enough for the hemi, hell i couldn't even stall it at the line i was leaving off idle. but the whole thing with this car is i wanted a 10 sec, stick shift street car. i seen Ronnie Sox rip off some 9 sec passes in bob reeds cuda when i was a teenager, ever since then i've always had a thing for stick shift cars. Nevin

I'll bet with that big block and all the torque it puts out ,if you gear it right you will run low 10's maybe see a high 9. If you would of had a higher stall in the 727 you would of liked it more . I run a 8in. converter it stalls at 5200. what is fun to do is to leave at idle and mash it to floor and the stall lets it jump to 5200 and she will pick tires about 8in. off. know getting back to 4 spd. you can leave at any rpm. this could help et. I used a V gate in line shifter in my modified prod. car, it worked good. the car was a 1956 chev running a 301 sb. 557 gears in rear, and a munsie 4 spd, best time at Bandemeres mile high in Denver, was 10.19 back in 1978 I had to leave the line at 8000 rpm's or it would boog. shifted at 10000rpm's it was fun Good luck Gary:cheers:

Great info from everyone, but most racing is bracket racing where consistency is the key. Manual valve body in an auto is the way to go!

For driving around on the street a 4-speed is ok..but for racing and being consistent automatic all the way...

THE 4SPEED TRANS HAS GEAR RATIOS , THE RATIO CHANGES WITH HOW MANY TEETH ON EACH GEAR . AND THERE ISN'T VERY MANY COMBO'S . I HAVE RACED BOTH 4 SPEED CARS AND AUTO CARS EVEN A FUNNIE CAR WITH AIR BOX, AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST A 904 AUTO. BEHIND A 20 OVER 360. IN A 72 DART . HERES A GOOD CHALLENGE IF YOU ARE RUNNING A 360 WITH J HEADS POST YOUR 60 FT TIMES AND 660 TIMES AND MPH LETS SEE WHO IS FASTER? IF IT DOESN'T RAIN SAT NIGHT I WILL POST MY TIMES . SO FAR MY BEST 60 FT IS 1.42 AND 6.40 660 GOOD LUCK 4/ SD.

dude that makes no sense...gear ratios available for manuals are plentiful...i havent seen many auto ratios available (but i never looked really)...and this challenge you propose makes absolutly no sense whatsoever lol- just because i have a 360 with j heads and you do to means we are going to post similar times, except yours has an auto and me a stick????is your head on straight because there is alot more to a combo than that...stick it all the way- its a matter of skill and thats all there is too it...anyone can point and shoot like it is in an auto, but it takes practice and skill to be good at stick...thats why the staging lanes are filled with crappy drivers these days, because anyone can race now, and most of those joes have autos :toothy10:...oh and by the way i have an x headed 340 that isnt even running yet8)...have fun gettin carpal tunnel

The A-833 is fun to have in the car...it takes more skill to pull of fast shifts...but i've found it to work pretty well. Unless you've got some super wild combo you'll not break an A-833. It is harder on the rest of the drivetrain parts though.

Dunno why the arguin is going on, we all drive mopars dont we?
So chill.

dude that makes no sense...gear ratios available for manuals are plentiful...i havent seen many auto ratios available (but i never looked really)...and this challenge you propose makes absolutly no sense whatsoever lol- just because i have a 360 with j heads and you do to means we are going to post similar times, except yours has an auto and me a stick????is your head on straight because there is alot more to a combo than that...stick it all the way- its a matter of skill and thats all there is too it...anyone can point and shoot like it is in an auto, but it takes practice and skill to be good at stick...thats why the staging lanes are filled with crappy drivers these days, because anyone can race now, and most of those joes have autos :toothy10:...oh and by the way i have an x headed 340 that isnt even running yet8)...have fun gettin carpal tunnel
dear uninformed. automatics have torque multification and if you use a stall converter it is like a slipping clutch till the lock up point. as for auto ratios you don't need to many because of torque Mult. yes my head is on stright . remember same engine , same rear end and same weight. good luck!!

Gary, sounds like you've had some pretty wild rides in the past!!! sorry for placing judgement so quickly. Driving cars like that i'd say you had the same bug in the past that i have at the moment for manual tranmissions. i still have the auto but were gonna stick it behind my dads indyheaded 493 with a J convertor in a 70 roadrunner. gives him something to bracket race with. He kind of looks at me and shakes his head about the stick thing too :director:. oh well guess i gotta do it to get it out of my system. waiting on my denny's drive shaft to get here so i can let er rip, had some a-holes in a BBC camaro talking **** tonight and i couldn't do anything about it with my small u-joint temp driveshaft. :angry7: maybee next week lol
Nevin

dear uninformed. automatics have torque multification and if you use a stall converter it is like a slipping clutch till the lock up point. as for auto ratios you don't need to many because of torque Mult. yes my head is on stright . remember same engine , same rear end and same weight. good luck!!

dear mopar god, first you say there are tons of ratios for automatics and then you say there really arent but they have torque multiplication? make up your mind man...i dont claim to know everything and i have ALOT to learn, but please make some sense when you type here, it would help...good luck to you asking someone to post times for something they dont have...sorry i dont have a copy of your 360 j head motor (somehow they are all the same) to run down the track and post times to prove your pointless point...have fun with your slushbox and 360 with j heads, and ill enjoy my stick car thanks!:bootysha::toothy10:

The one thing I didn’t see anyone ask is, how well can you drive a 4 gear? And do you have nitrous?

It really depends on the driver first and then the car, you can have the best of everything and set up perfectly, but if you can’t drive a 4 gear you will launch the engine. Especially if you have nitrous and miss a shift.

As far as the question at hand, are we talking a stock suspension or a chassis car? You have to set up the car so the engine, trans, rearend and suspension all work together. If you are trying to compare the same car with a 4 gear or an auto, you are comparing apples to oranges not apples to apples. Things like your cam, carb, timing, shocks, suspension and more need to be matched to the tranny you are going to run.

You need to choose which ever one you are comfortable with and be honest with your self about your abilities. You will get just as many people that say the auto is faster as you will that say the 4 gear is faster, it all depends on the driver and weather or not your car is set up correctly.

I’ve always been a fan of the 4 gear. Back in the 80’s we were lucky enough to have a place where we could street race without getting hassled. We had a three lane road with the 1320 permanently marked on the road. My car wasn’t that fast, mid to upper 12’s but for an 18-21 year old kid it was fast enough and I could out shift a lot of the guys and there autos but it took a lot of practice to shift that fast.

Oh yea, I have a 4 gear in my blown 65, and I did see a few people say the 4 gear is lighter, this is not necessarily true. I’m not sure about the 904 but if you take the A-833, a good clutch, scatter shield, flywheel, clutch linkage and shifter, and compare it to your 727, torq converter, flex plate, shifter and cooler. You will find the auto is a lot lighter. My scatter shield alone is about 100 pounds or more, not to mention the cast iron A-833 and flywheel. I didn’t built my car for the track though or I would have done a lot of things differently.

bLOWNFISH ,if thats your car in the avatar,all i can say is unreal.

Tuff car,an that im a lil envious ;)

Do tell us abit about it.

hi, why do you have to use a air shifter on an automatic? as for electronics, they make an average or mediocre driver competive.thats all they do!!
those need to be removed and go back to driver control of all functions!
I see S/PRO racers with electronics and air shifted automatics.
as one drag racer commented , real men shift for them selves!!

bLOWNFISH ,if thats your car in the avatar,all i can say is unreal.

Tuff car,an that im a lil envious ;)

Do tell us abit about it.

That is my car, I had it since I was 16 but it was on the rough side so I tore it down when I was 18 (25 years ago) and just got it together and running this June.

It is a 65 factory 273 4spd car. It has a 416 stroker with a 578 roller cam, modified Edy heads, BDS 671 with 750 Demons, I tubbed it back in the late 80’s with a 9” Ford rear end with ladder bars, 18.50 M/T tires and I am running a 4 gear.

I will start a thread with photos Monday or Tuesday once I get better photos taken.

My personal feeling always was sports cars and race cars have manual gearboxes, women's cars have automatics.

JMNSHO

FF

That is my car, I had it since I was 16 but it was on the rough side so I tore it down when I was 18 (25 years ago) and just got it together and running this June.

It is a 65 factory 273 4spd car. It has a 416 stroker with a 578 roller cam, modified Edy heads, BDS 671 with 750 Demons, I tubbed it back in the late 80’s with a 9” Ford rear end with ladder bars, 18.50 M/T tires and I am running a 4 gear.

I will start a thread with photos Monday or Tuesday once I get better photos taken.

SWEEt! PICS SOON PLEASE!=P~

Lookn forward to it :cheers:
Ever raced it?

-
Back