4 speed with 440

-

RPMmachine

Reaction score
will a 1977 440 bolt up to an 18 spline 833 without any mods to the crankshaft pilot holt?

sorry but i dont know much about 4 speeds but im switching from a 440motor/727trans to an 833 in a 1970 dart

Like the joke about what 80 year old pu$$y taste like... Depends...

If the crank is cut for the pilot bushing then it will work. I'm guessing that it's not cut for one. Options:
1) drill the crank for the bronze
2)if the crank has a hole and the pilot shaft fits, run the later style pilot bushing that fits in the converter register.
3) run the register bushing and cut the pilot shaft shorter.

You won't know until it's apart

Cracked..That,s just plain sick LMAO!Bet the 440 BANGS good though..That tranny should work if the cranks set up for it.And i thought I was breakin parts with a warmedover 340.Good luck ,hope it,s got a dana?

it has an 8 3/4 742 case right now, im not gunna be doing a lot of drag racing

what about trans tunnel mods? you think this will just bolt right in?

thanks everyone

No, it won't just bolt right in and work. That's a B/E body transmission. Plus the price is $6-700 more than a brand new trans from Passon.

I have converted three cars to big block with a four speed. While it's not just a bolt and go deal it's not that bad either, but if you don't do your research properly you WILL wind up spending a ton more than you have to. I did make up my own linkage and z-bar, plus relocated the z-bar toward the firewall.

It's also not cheap to go four speed. I can build a street 727 for around $100 and cores are cheap (I have a couple plus spare parts). It's nearly impossible these days to go four speed for under $1k and will likely be in the $2k or higher range.

As was sais... the mainshaft and tail have to be swapped to A body style, and the input shaft will hit the crnak if it's not drilled. If it is drilled but not reamed, NAPA has a conversion pilot bushing, or you can run the MP crank hub bearing. If it's not drilled, you can drill it, or cut about 1/2" off the input shaft and run that same MP bearing. (I would mock them up to make sure you cut enough, but not too much off...) As far as the rear, if this car has real tires and good suspension, you may have issues after a while if it's driven hard. If it's a street car, the 8 3/4 is MORE than enough.

i'll be taking my time with this swap, any way which part # 18 spline trans will be the best fit? also can i use an ebody shifter for that trans?

thanks alot, all your help is appreciated 8)

the only reason i ask about the ebody shifter is because i dont want a super long shifter

Only the A-body 18 spline will work in the chassis. But, you also dont need an 18 spline input for your car... In fact, if you get your hands on an over drive A833 and have the bellhousing enlarged for the large input bearing. You won't break a 23 spline any faster and they made a million A body ones.

Ok & as far as bellhousings go, do i need an a body specific big block bellhousing?
thanks!

Nevermind , for some odd reason the board software adds a link to the beginning of the ebay link and i get an error message ... or is it me ???

Not just you... I believe it's a referrer link. I have to delete that portion before it will display.

I wouldn't run a factory OD behind a 440. There are places they are weaker than a standard 23-spline.

does any body have any tips on removing a set of manual trans clutch/ brake pedals from a 1968 dart 273 3 speed on the column.
THX!

does any body have any tips on removing a set of manual trans clutch/ brake pedals from a 1968 dart 273 3 speed on the column.
THX!

Tools would be a great start. :-D

Get the steering column out of the way.

Remove the master cylinder and steering column. Also remove the two studs that go through the bottom of the dash for the column bracket. A few more bolts and it's out.......

it took me 4 hours but i got it out, i was there last night wrestling with it for 3 hours in the night/ cold, the worst part was that the car was moldy so i had to lay down in it & my fingers froze. LOL i quit & came back today for 40 minutes to get it

9e3582cd.jpg

Sure it'll work IF you use the proper bellhousing and bracket. It says for 67-69 models because big blocks were only available in a-bodies those years.

That's not the way I would go, though. If you don't want to fab your own go to Brewer's or Passon and check their stuff out. Paddock, Year One, etc. are NOT manufacturers, they are retailers. Most anything any one of them has can be found elsewhere for less.

Only the A-body 18 spline will work in the chassis. But, you also dont need an 18 spline input for your car... In fact, if you get your hands on an over drive A833 and have the bellhousing enlarged for the large input bearing. You won't break a 23 spline any faster and they made a million A body ones.

im actually considering this swap, yeah im dead serious im going to use an A body Overdrive 4 speed trans behind my 440 because its going to be my first 4 speed swap & im only going to be driving it on the street.

im not going to be spending a load of money & i get to save up for a tko600!

theres a 1970's truck at my junkyard with a 400 & 4 speed, do you think the bellhousing off of that truck will work?
also if this bellhousing works, will it bolt up to the A body OD trans?

Thanks alot :happy10:

That 18 spline trans could probably be traded for the one that would go right in(a-body 23 spline) and all the other stuff too. You need a short tailshaft trans to have any way to get the shifter up through the floor and you need to find a 4-speed hump to make room for the linkage,Good luck Hemi Al

The truck 400 and four speed will not supply any parts for your swap, IF it is original.

ok long story short im going to go with a 23 spline a body 4 speed

so far i got the manual transmission pedals installed, now do i use the brake master cylinder rod that came with the 4 speed pedals or do i use the brake pedal rod from my automatic brake pedal assembly?

-
Back