400 headers @&^#

-

ducter

Reaction score
So I have been slowly trying to get fixed what I can on my new project..what a mess honestly, but that hasnt stopped me before :)

The stock headers are on the car now but had a massive exhaust leak so I was trying to separate the headers from the exhaust at the flange and this is what I found..even after a few days of pb blaster on the nuts, they wont budge.

That has lead me to think about replacing the headers..how the hell do these things come off?? Why did Chrysler think this is a good idea? I looks like the steering box has to be removed or disconnected? Torsion bars as well? Am I not seeing clearly the right way...or is it this involved to simply pull the headers?

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 508
  • cut (Medium).jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 519
years of heat cycles will do that......good luck. sometimes i have had luck with trying to tighten fasteners like that a bit before trying to loosen them.....

Thanks, I did try going tighter as well. Even with my impact gun I cant budge them, afraid to turn it up much more in fear of snapping them. Thats what has lead me to removing the headers, but a ***** it looks to be.

Only idea I have.. from working on rusty Cat equipment.. get the nuts and bolts hot then immediately sick the wrench on them. If you can work some common candle wax into the threads it actually helps some times.. it really gets in there when the heat melts it. Worked on the track adjuster bolt on my old dozer which hadn't been turned in who knows how long. Keep the fire extinguisher nearby and best of luck.. you'll learn new swear words undoubtedly.

are these headers or manifolds? instead of fighting them ,take them things off, bust the bolts, put them back on and replace the bolts with new ones. i dont take any sh8t from exhaust systems, chances are they are going to break anyway once they start turning. i usually try to break them. you already cut the pipe, they will slip right out.

welcome to the wonderful world of old exhaust systems don't blame the car the trouble starts the day there started.I have seen them a lot worse than that at lest you have something to work with.heat is your answer get the nuts cherry red and get a good six point socket on an extension and a ratchet or get one of those new sockets made for rounded off nuts.be pashent curse softly and it will come off.......Or take every thing off and put headers on.good luck...........Artie

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, they are manifolds. My mistake in calling them headers, I am still trying to get them off now, one bolt in the far back if your standing at the hood...I cant see how to get it out without removing the steering linkage..and not real sure how that comes off. I did take the bolts off from inside thinking that would give me enough wiggle room but doesnt have appeared to worked.

Oh, and I didnt cut the pipe. Thats what I found when I removed the clamp...

Its a 73 dart sport. 400 installed by PO about 10 years back and the car sat since. I got it a few weeks ago for 500 bucks.

IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

Gives you a better idea of what I am working with.

would be much easier to deal with if you took the manifolds out and clamped them in a vise. might as well just turn the impact gun all the way up and snap them off......

Its a 73 dart sport. 400 installed by PO about 10 years back and the car sat since. I got it a few weeks ago for 500 bucks.
Gives you a better idea of what I am working with.

nice score for the money

would be much easier to deal with if you took the manifolds out and clamped them in a vise. might as well just turn the impact gun all the way up and snap them off......

i couldnt agree more XS2

Yup. I agree now...lol. that's what I am trying to do is remove them now. Can't get to the rear most bolt because of the steering linkage. Haven't even gotten to the passenger side yet.

Yup. I agree now...lol. that's what I am trying to do is remove them now. Can't get to the rear most bolt because of the steering linkage. Haven't even gotten to the passenger side yet.

Now it makes sense. I was thinking smallblock.

Try loosening the motor mount and raise that side of the engine.

As it seems I am going to replace these with headers and I am nor real sure which to be looking at would any ones made for a Chrysler 400 work or specific ones only? All I can figure out so far is that its a 73 400.

Thanks again.

you will have to find some A Body BB headers from TTI or dougs. check out summit too. i bet if you ran a wanted add someone has some collecting dust

Alright, thanks for the information. I won't have anymore time till this weekend to mess with them. Hoping the passenger side is bit easier.

Ummm you do understand that Chrysler never put a big block in a Duster right?
Also, the engines are assembled fully and I stalled from under the car.

Ummm you do understand that Chrysler never put a big block in a Duster right?
Also, the engines are assembled fully and I stalled from under the car.

Are you talking to me? I never thought the motor was original to the car I did say where the PO had put a 400 in about 10 years back. I think the manifolds are stock to the motor.

also might check out these links.

Some B body headers will work.Leave more options open, just in case you run across a "deal".

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/BBody.shtml

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/hedshorty.shtml

Thanks for them links, does add more options.

On a second note, anyone know if these headers will fit?

From summit for 129 here

Yet when I actually do a search starting with engine manufacturer, year, then chrysler bb the ones above arent on the list and starting prices 250ish as seen here

thanks

those are manifolds, sounds if your used to chebbies where as if the bolts don't turn your in trouble

luckly your working on a mopar, cut/twist or whatever you have to do to the old manifold to exhaust pipe bolts and remove the exhaust, when you put it back together use good bolts that way it comes apart again easier

Just got some more free time and back to the garage I went..I have all the nuts and bolts off now except the S.O.B wont come out, its hitting the steering/column shifter linkage. Any tricks to this that you guys have learned along the way?

thanks so much..

you are going to have to clear the way. move/remove the linkage and kickdown out of the way. remove the starter if you have to. its a tight squeeze for sure

Got it, finally lol. Removed the brake master cyliner and got enough. Would be a proud moment except for the fact its just removing drivers side manifold...that shouldnt be a celebration moment when it comes out. Its sad, I know...but I did a little jig anyways.

I know for sure I dont want to put these back in, would like to swap to manual steering and I think that would give me a good bit more clearance as well as remove the leaking power one. Anyone able to tell me exactly whats needed to swap to a manual steering box? The PO had already moved the shifter to the floor from the column so that wont be an issue.

thanks again.

-
Back