400 "super block"

-
Reaction score
hey fellas

i was recently told my 400 had the "super block" numbers, so i went on 440 source and read the article, im a bit confused as mine is stamped as a 71' year block but it has the superblock numbers, and the article reads 72-73 have the biggest measurements, does anyone have experience with this stuff? ive emailed 440 source but havent had a reply, thanks

There isn't any 400 superblock, some of the early "230" blocks have thicker main saddles but that's about it, 440 site shows that, but actually the later blocks have stiffening ribs down the side, better cooling ports & thicker motor mount saddles and better cylinders with less core shift and usually thicker bores.

yea thats what im referring to the mains saddles, im personally not that fussed about it all but the guy who told me kept going on about it like it was a big deal, thanks for your input mate.

There is a good pic of the main saddle on that 440 site, you will see if your block is one of them instantly, it's a night and day difference!

The "cold weather" block. Unless youre gonna build a serious track engine, the later 400 blocks are fine. If, however you come across one, buy it!

It ends in 230, and has different typeface than later blocks. 400 blocks with casting dates from 4/4/1971 to 10/10/1971 are the thicker webbing. After that period it can still be a 230 casting but it won't be the thicker web. From what I'm told any 400 block is a good choice, as long as it passes mag and sonic test...if you're doing something max effort just buy an aftermarket block.

Here's mine I bought last fall, casting date 9/3/1971:

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a611/MPR_Chassis/T2eC16ZzEE9s3YbBSCitlNYw60_57_zps6e5d547c.jpg

No such thing really. The early blocks do seem to have thicker main saddles, but the later blocks have thicker bores. I mean really. What are you gonna do with the thing that ain't been done before? Just pick one and go.

Its those big *** numbers on the driver side (US) ;-) right under the deck.

-
Back