408 Build Thread

-
That is encouraging!! Caltracs are definitely in the plans. Probably after I burn through the first set of tires!

You went all out on the heads and cam. I plan on just some light clean up work on the Edelbrock heads and running this comp cam. Here's the cam card.

camcard0001Medium_zpsbd541567.jpg

Here´s mine with the XR286HR cam......expect yours to sound a little "meaner".....:D

http://dart340.blogspot.de/2012/06/michel-sein-valiant-ist-jetzt-endlich.html

Michael

I just got off of the phone with Comp's help line, and I use that term lightly. He recommended the 987 springs and said that there was no reason to run the beehive style springs on the Edelbrock heads. There are no interference issues that he was aware of and no advantages over the 987 springs???

Edit: So I tried Comp's online chat. That guy tried to sell me a set of springs, retainers, seals, seats and locks for $425 and they weren't even beehive style springs. I asked him about it, and then he recommended their part number 26918 and another kit. I asked him if I really needed to buy a $400 kit or could I just buy the springs and retainers because my heads are brand new, so my seals and locks should be okay??? He couldn't tell me. Sounds like they are trained to just push the high dollar kits.

I guess I will have to ask someone who knows more than the people who make the damned parts???

I would talk to someone who has already built a few strokers and get advice from them about parts. Every parts guy I have ever talked to from a manufacter gave me bad parts. I went to jegs in colombus to buy my intake and carb. I was told to go with the performer intake and a 600 cfm in carb. Then I told the guy I wanted it to be a strip/street car so he said to go with a single plain intake. At that point I walked away and just ordered the parts.

I just got off of the phone with Comp's help line, and I use that term lightly. He recommended the 987 springs and said that there was no reason to run the beehive style springs on the Edelbrock heads. There are no interference issues that he was aware of and no advantages over the 987 springs???

Edit: So I tried Comp's online chat. That guy tried to sell me a set of springs, retainers, seals, seats and locks for $425 and they weren't even beehive style springs. I asked him about it, and then he recommended their part number 26918 and another kit. I asked him if I really needed to buy a $400 kit or could I just buy the springs and retainers because my heads are brand new, so my seals and locks should be okay??? He couldn't tell me. Sounds like they are trained to just push the high dollar kits.

I guess I will have to ask someone who knows more than the people who make the damned parts???

Brian (IMM Engines) uses the 26918 set-up on his Indy iron heads I think. If anyone knows, it would be him.

The 987-16 springs are the same that an Eric Thompson @ Compcams recommend for me to use on my 408 eddyheaded compcam'd motor my cam 20-228-4 specs are very close to yours. Havent gotten around to get mine yet. really I got till spring here in Nebraska to worry about it.

I sent Brian a PM and this was his response.

ou812 said:
Install the 987's at 1.750 I.H. Using -.050 keepers (630-16). This will give you the correct pressure and get the retainer away from the rocker arm.

Brian is the expert I would go with what he says.

The advantage of beehive springs is a retainer that is smaller and weighs less and lighter spring pressure because the beehive shape dampens harmonics so less spring pressure is needed. More clearance between rocker and retainer too. But if you are running the Comp Pro Magnum rockers they don't need the extra clearance. So there are advantages just that clearance is not one of them in your case.

While at the machine shop today I spoke with Doc about oil pans and I think we agreed that the Kevko M302 will be the best bet for what I am trying to do. I will get it and the pickup ordered when I get paid again at the end of the month.

I run the Kevko pan. Its six quarts plus the oil filter capacity. Great ground clearance too, does not hang below k-frame. You don't have to run a windage tray either.

I run the Kevko pan. Its six quarts plus the oil filter capacity. Great ground clearance too, does not hang below k-frame. You don't have to run a windage tray either.

Awesome, can you give some additional feedback on the pan? What do the welds look like? How about the crank scraper that they say their pan incorporates? Is there any clearance issues at the crank? Thanks!

They are not the nicest or prettiest pans. Some of the welds are pretty large, but it seems to be the best choice out of the few available for Mopars. Looks like they start with a stock pan and simply add flare outs to it to increase the oil capacity without causing clearance issues At least it’s all black and should be tucked closed to the k-member so not to many or going to see it. The crank scraper is no more than some metal stock welded to the side of the pan should not be an issue. Mine is not on the car yet so I can’t offer an opinion on the fit. The trap door for the oil in the pan is a nice addition. I also picked up one of their oil pump pickups as well. I’m going to try and knock out some assemble of my 408 this week. If it get as far as the pan I’ll post some pictures for ya.

Thanks for the info!! Any additional pics of the pan would be awesome. I've heard about their welds before, and as long as it doesn't leak, we should be okay. I'm painting my whole shortblock black, so it should really just disappear in my black engine compartment.

Well here is a shot of the pan. Havent gotten it on the motor yet maybe tomorrow. Have more shots but apparently they are to larger to down load.
dsc00689xv.jpg

Awesome, can you give some additional feedback on the pan? What do the welds look like? How about the crank scraper that they say their pan incorporates? Is there any clearance issues at the crank? Thanks!

No clearance issues with the crank. I don't run a windage tray either. Welds are ugly but do not leak and its under the car. I run the ARP studs made for a windage tray even though I don't run a tray. That way I have something to bolt the oil pan pick up tube too.

Attachments

• OilPanBaffle1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,575
  • TransLines2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,559
  • BackTogetherUnderside.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,579
Here is pick up tab bolted to the main stud.

Attachments

• ShortBlockComplete.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,562
  • OilPanSide.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,565
Thank you both. This is the kind of real world information I was searching for!

We are trying to keep it around 10 to 1 for pump gas use. I know we could have gone higher, but this is a street car and we are not looking for every last ounce of power.

I got tired of Summit Racing telling me that my Powerforce Plus damper was on back order and it would be another two weeks, so I cancelled that order. I found one on Ebay from CNC-motorsports. It was $10 cheaper than Summit, they had it in stock, didn't charge ANY shipping and handling, and it was at my house in three days.

I'll be running that out to the machine shop in the next week or two. Hopefully, they will be getting started soon!

I ordered my Comp 987 valve springs, 740 retainers and 630 locks from Jeg's this morning.

While I was at it, I threw a pair of Pro Comp 3308 fabricated aluminum valve covers in the cart!

746-3308.jpg

I used Jeg's price match and got $53 knocked off the price. I don't know how that works, but I found them on the web for $90 and Jeg's website says they'll match any web price. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Nice pictures,of oil pans! Cnc motorsports,are good to deal with.

Springs, retainers and keepers all showed up yesterday from Jeg's. Pro Comp valve covers are on back order. Why don't they tell you that stuff before you place your order?? That's the same thing that Summit did with the balancer.

In a down economy back orders are the norm because they don't want to hold a lot of slow moving inventory. I constantly dealt with the back order head aches when I built my engine. But eventually all the parts came in.

-
Back