408 Stroker. Fresh build

-

Ivoryk3ys78

Reaction score
My dad and brother and I recently finished up building my 408 stroker for my 72 Duster. The camshaft is broken in and timing is set and everything seem to be running great. You certainly can't give it much gas in 1st and then your pealing through second too. I hope we can get to the track this summer and at least get some MPH numbers.

Thank you very much. Yeah I think it has a real nice racey sound to it. It's a pretty healthy build. I was born with glaucoma and it's pretty advanced so can not drive. I grew up with this stuff though with my dads 69 Roadrunner and brothers 67 Salelite and my relatives and parents ran a car club in the 80s. We had a 318 in the Satelite when my brother and I were in highschool in the mid 90s and right after he graduated I picked everything out for the 440 we built for the Satelite. Around 2002 my dad picked up this Duster dark blue at the time and no engine or tranny. I got it painted around 2005. We finally got it running with the 318 that had been in the Satlite a couple years ago. We were at the track last year and did a 13.9 at 100 but a lot of blowby and tired. My brother pitched in with me and we built this stroker from one of the 360 blocks my dad has. I have always been into the Engines and performance. It was always the tech section of the mopar mags I turned to. It was really awesome being able to design my dream very hot street/strip engine. My brother is my jockey/driver.

Sounds great

Nice history. Congrats and enjoy ! Sounds awesome. I too have a 1974 360 engine that I would love to do and put it in my 340 Ragtop. Hopefully someday.

Very nice Duster. Is that a factory Mopar color? Do you happen to still have the paint code? Love it!

Awesome, congrats!

She's a damn good lookin' Duster. Great story behind your family's history with Mopars.

Good stuff!

Thank you everyone.
Some info on the build.
TTI 1 7/8 race header into 2.5" exhaust and 50 series Flowmasters
It has a proform carb that should flow 800.
Strip Dominator
Trickflow Powerport 190 heads
0 decked with -13 cc Icon pistons 11.2 CR with .039 quench.

Howards solid lift Flat tappet 600/615 254/260 @050 108LSA in at 103.5
Howards EDM liftters
Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnum 1.5 rockers

No oil mods but running HV oil pump, the EDM Lifters, full groove main bearings, Kevko 5qt pan and pickup

It has 3500 Street/Strip 10.25 converter
4.10 gears with 27" tires

We are putting a Cope Racing Transmission full manual valvebody in this weekend.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone.
Some info on the build.
Strip Dominator

Howards EDM liftters

No oil mods but running HV oil pump, the EDM Lifters, full groove main bearings, Kevko 5qt pan and pickup

We are putting a Cope Racing Transmission full manual valvebody in this weekend.

Icon 9978? Picked up a set of those with my stroker kit as well. Decent price, the seem like a quality piston.

Yes those are the ones. Someone on here suggested that to me near the end of last summer when I was trying to figure out a compression and maintaining quench with the 60cc Trickflow head.

Yeah a real fair price. The machine shop who did the block work and put the pistons on the rods and the rings on for us said he had worked with those as well and felt they were a nice piston.

Icon 9978? Picked up a set of those with my stroker kit as well. Decent price, the seem like a quality piston.

Very nice. Just getting my 408 put together.

Nice, flat tappet cams don't like a lot of idling . Lubrication comes from crank spin off. Have fun!

Thanks.

I do have Howard's EDM lifters so it does have direct oil coming down between the lobe and the tappet. That should certainly help with that.

Nice, flat tappet cams don't like a lot of idling . Lubrication comes from crank spin off. Have fun!

I have found this to be completely untrue.
The tappets (lifters) are oil valley feed and if it is blocked off completely, (which is not the case as stated by the post above, HV pump, no oil mods) then the pushrods that feed oil to the top supply the oil after rocker lubrication drips down.

There should be no reason what so ever that a FT cam can not idle indefinitely.

Then something wrong was done in your travels.

Jones said splash oiling is insufficient
something being addressed in Krooser's circle track build

Wyrmrider, I believe, just agreed with me. The cam lobe actually gets a lot of spray and mist from everywhere, primarily though, the crankshaft. Low rpm, less spin off, less mist from everywhere. Not sure where you were going to the top end with the push rods oiling, try turning your rocker shafts around and see how well the rockers get oiled, anyway, nothing to do with the lobes. I am done.

no wait don't go
Rumble must have been thinking of a Magnum
I've had enough rocker ball problems to just do pushrod oiling as a SOP
That's "standard perating procedure" rumble
I've been pushing lifters with a narrow flat ground on the side like found on a stock 229 chevy V6
LA's do not get enough oil just flowing down past the lifters or splas
That's why edm lifters are mandatory for SFT cams
and I think the ground flat on hyd
I heard that someone has edm'ed hyd lifters but can't verify
if you have access to a magnetic plate grinder and a v block grinding the flats is dyi
Crower has a picture in their catalog
dart19666 gives members good guy prices if you can't diy

no wait don't go
Rumble must have been thinking of a Magnum
I've had enough rocker ball problems to just do pushrod oiling as a SOP
That's "standard perating procedure" rumble
I've been pushing lifters with a narrow flat ground on the side like found on a stock 229 chevy V6
LA's do not get enough oil just flowing down past the lifters or splas
That's why edm lifters are mandatory for SFT cams
and I think the ground flat on hyd
I heard that someone has edm'ed hyd lifters but can't verify
if you have access to a magnetic plate grinder and a v block grinding the flats is dyi
Crower has a picture in their catalog
dart19666 gives members good guy prices if you can't diy
Thanks for the acronym tip.

And yes, also trying to cover a Magnum oiling as well.

Cruze completely ignores the OE post of unmodified oiling system which is fine for solid cam tappet use. The unmodified oil galley is a huge opening to each lifter on its side. How can this not be enough oil? It is impossible not to be. Increasing the rpm capability for a solid or solid roller tappet with a oil galley tube and peening with a drilled oil hole in each tappet hole of, let’s just say .030 is still enough to oil the tappets and cam. The EDM lifter is a great idea and worth there cost in a build you want to keep a very long time under heavy loads. However, even a standard tappet will live thousands & thousands of miles. Many of have been there and done that.
Where has Cruze been? And what did he do wrong or was done wrong to him? How come you and I can slap this together and his stuff in his experience fails?

In ether engine series, LA or Magnum, there is still oil coming down from the head. And it is a lot. I wouldn’t call it a good way to oil the tappets & cam. But yet, it falls down in buckets!

IMO, if anyone thinks the crank can sufficiently oil the cam and/or tappets by itself, there nutz! And why Cruze mentions “Try turning your rocker shafts around” is beyond me!

Why would you purposely build an engine wrong?!?!?!
Just to prove.... what now about oiling?

I don’t know what the rest of the world calls that but around here, we call it “*** Backwards!” And “Domed for Certain Failure!”

Thank you everyone.
Some info on the build.
Strip Dominator

Howards EDM liftters

Your build is insanely close to what I'm building. I'm shooting for a little bit milder on the CR, 10.9, but I'm curious if you're running pump gas or not?

Good question. What’s the best pump gas in Oregon?
Connecticut should have 93 correct?

Yea I used the ABDC timing of 65 degrees that is listed on my Howards cam card. It showed me right at 190 cranking pressure and 9:1 dynamic.

I am running 92. We have done a few pulls on the street and have had zero signs of any detonation. Engine sitting right around the thermostat opening of 180.

Your build is insanely close to what I'm building. I'm shooting for a little bit milder on the CR, 10.9, but I'm curious if you're running pump gas or not?

-
Back