408 stroker header size

-
Thanks Guys! and Happy New Year! I have been looking online at the TTI 340AW2s, And have a few more questions: Will they fit with a Moroso oil pan and can the starter be taken in and out ok with the headers in? What oil filter are you using, can I use a shorty? I have had 90 degree adapters for years and they always seem to leak. Would be great to get away from it. PS Congrats Locomotion on your Championship!!!

View attachment 1715126284
I have stepped w2, yes starter can be removed, using a mini from 440 source. I later learned it is same starter from 5.7 Hemi pickups.

I use Milodon deep pan. I believe 8 quart with flared out sump.

I had a 90 degree adapter but was able to remove it in favour of a straight on oil filter. I use Wix filter, can't recall part number at moment. About 3.5" long.

Last edited:
So it looks like the step headers are the way to go? I just don' want them to be restrictive if I decide to go more aggressive with cam and headporting down the road. What oil pan do you guys recommend I should use also? it has the stock starter and oil filter location.

TTI headers fit around an 8 qt. Milodon pan which is a touch shallower than the Moroso for ground clearance. Only glitch is that it needs a notch cut out of the frame rail lip for the right front corner of the pan to clear during engine installation/removal. They also have a 7 qt. which costs more but fits better.
A mini-starter would fit well and you can use a 3.5" filter without an adapter. A 3" exhaust won't restrict the flow. My Dart ran a bit faster with X pipe & Dynomax straight through mufflers over open headers. (May require some carb tuning for best results.) I still like to be on the conservative side with headers, especially with a dual purpose car. I had a W-2 360 in a 2,850 lb Challenger race car (10.22 best) and considered 1 7/8" as plenty. Bigger would be better with nitrous, but how often do you use it? Just like how often do you max out the engine which might benefit from the bigger headers. I'll relent and say 1 7/8" may not hurt street manners much, especially with more mods later. But I'm just going by what has worked for me.

What oil pan do you guys recommend I should use also?

Allot of us have had success with the Kevko pan.

upload_2018-1-2_6-42-18.png

for acceleration the 9" deep Canton pan is better than a pan that adds where the kevko does
I had one of those old Milodon pans that the center link went thru, what a pain when I wanted to pull the motor. My last three motors, 340, 363, and my present 408 I am using the Moroso pan.I am pretty sure i will be getting the TTI 340AW2 headers since they fit my Indy 360-1 heads. i am not worried to much about maximum power as the car is run on a throttle stop to run 11.50 anyhow for Street Eliminator and 11.50 index racing. Who do you guys recommend for a TTI dealer to buy them from? I have read Marsh Performance is good. I don't like buying from Mancini as their shipping costs are ridiculously high Thanks

I had one of those old Milodon pans that the center link went thru, what a pain when I wanted to pull the motor. My last three motors, 340, 363, and my present 408 I am using the Moroso pan.I am pretty sure i will be getting the TTI 340AW2 headers since they fit my Indy 360-1 heads. i am not worried to much about maximum power as the car is run on a throttle stop to run 11.50 anyhow for Street Eliminator and 11.50 index racing. Who do you guys recommend for a TTI dealer to buy them from? I have read Marsh Performance is good. I don't like buying from Mancini as their shipping costs are ridiculously high Thanks

What happened to that Milodon pan with the hole through it and the pick up that went to it? Also is it a 340 or 360 pan?

So does the Milton 7 quart fit without notching the subframe? I'm in Canada and can only seem to locate the Doug's headers here will these suffice for my motors power output? I need to call to see what oil pan options they have.

Thanks Guys! and Happy New Year! I have been looking online at the TTI 340AW2s,

View attachment 1715126284
Hey man! Right back atcha! Merry Christmas and happy new year.
The car looks good!

Did you get on the tti web site and check out there figment foot notes? A minor pain to go through but worth it.

Doug's headers are actually straight 1 5/8". Despite the initial 1 5/8" step, TTI 1 5/8"-1 3/4" step headers flow better because they act like a bigger header and provide a beneficial gradual transition.

The TTI oil pan footnote links take you to big block Mopar and Chevy oil pans. But the part numbers are correct for 7 & 8 qt. Milodon small block pans. I think the 7 qt. pans eliminate the clearance issue with the k-frame & other brand headers. I checked once and believe it was addressed, but it's been a while, so calling TTI would be best.

Their site shows several Canadian distributors so hopefully you can shop around.

TTi Authorized Distributors

I'm in Canada and can only seem to locate the Doug's headers here will these suffice for my motors power output? I need to call to see what oil pan options they have.
If you live near a border there is likely a company that accepts packages on the American side. Then you just have to go drive and pick it up and bring it across the border and pay any tax on it.
I order direct from tti. (Twice now)

They will ship it to your Canadian address but it's the unknown custom and brokerage fees some companies like to charge.

So does the Milton 7 quart fit without notching the subframe? I'm in Canada and can only seem to locate the Doug's headers here will these suffice for my motors power output? I need to call to see what oil pan options they have.
No, the Milodon pan requires small notch but fits with headers very well. The notch is extremely easy to do with zip wheel, about 1/2" by 3/4".
20170530_222056.jpg
Where in Canada are you? Pro Stock in Edmonton is a dealer with VERY good pricing on TTI, my W2 step headers came from there.

So mopac has either the moroso 8 quarts or mildon 8 quarts only with new pick ups and felpro gaskets which one will fit better ? I'l look into Pro stock thanks. I'm in Vancouver Canada. But not a fan of going over to pick up parts and paying duty etc

So mopac has either the moroso 8 quarts or mildon 8 quarts only with new pick ups and felpro gaskets which one will fit better ? I'l look into Pro stock thanks. I'm in Vancouver Canada. But not a fan of going over to pick up parts and paying duty etc
I ship many things to a warehouse on American side in Montana. When you bring across all you pay is GST, no duty.

After exchage rate gst and sometimes duty and storage fees for pick up it costs more than just getting it local unless it' a speciality part.

O-M-G!!!!!!!
That is insane!
Retire way south! Way south!

Hi so ended up going with the Doug's as I can get them locally here. What a pain installing them it's all installed now glad I had the motor pulled to fit them I havent tried putting the starter in yet. it has about 1/16th of a inch between the header tube and the power steering box. Is that normal I don' want vibrations when it' all back together running. Should I shim the motor mounts up or dent the pipe up which I don' want to do.

New mounts? A 1/16th? Pfst! Don’t worry about it but....
If the mounts are old or the engine isn’t level and you want to go for the extra clearance, it can only help. It’s winter time right? Yea... you got time.... LOL

-
Back