408 Stroker in a Dart

-

4spd340Swinger

Reaction score
I am thinking about pulling my 340 out of my car and buying a 408 stroker for it. Looking at a drop in ready 465 HP / 494 FT LBS engine. I am curious from those who have similar engines how the car runs in comparison to what you removed? I would also want to dress it out to look like original engine with stock manifolds ( maybe). Cooling or drivability problems? Honestly overall thoughts. Thanks!!!!

Superchargeddrt put a 418(340 based) in his 69 and is very happy with it.
Minimal heat issues.

I am thinking about pulling my 340 out of my car and buying a 408 stroker for it. Looking at a drop in ready 465 HP / 494 FT LBS engine. I am curious from those who have similar engines how the car runs in comparison to what you removed? I would also want to dress it out to look like original engine with stock manifolds ( maybe). Cooling or drivability problems? Honestly overall thoughts. Thanks!!!!

Forget the stock manifolds as that would hamstring that 465 hp motor. That level of hp from a 408" motor requires headers and a good intake. Take away those parts and you will end up with a less than happy combination. You can still make it look stock'ish without giving both of those up.

Have you considered EFI and overdrive? If not, drivability will definitely suffer. For cooling, a custom US Radiator will do nicely.

Airbox1 (Medium).JPG

Stock 340 Exhaust manifolds, low end torque engine. Keep it below 5000 rpm you will be fine.

You will be able to pull stumps with that setup.

Stock 340 Exhaust manifolds, low end torque engine. Keep it below 5000 rpm you will be fine.

You will be able to pull stumps with that setup.

Not sure if you saw that the motor he is asking about putting in is not a low rpm torque build, "Looking at a drop in ready 465 HP / 494 FT LBS engine." It's a relatively high rpm build that puts out well over 1 hp per cubic inch at well over 5000 rpm. Stock manifolds are a serious restriction on a motor like that. They are going to kill off quite a bit of power.

I agree that if he chooses a lower rpm, stump puller type 408, he can get away with those restrictive stock manifolds and have a much happier, more tractable street build.

Last edited:
I have yet to hear of somebody doing a stroker and saying they didn't like it...
But you'll find many that haven't did it and say things against it...

I have yet to hear of somebody doing a stroker and saying they didn't like it...
But you'll find many that haven't done it and say things against it...
All I ever read here when it comes to stroker’s is that you need a single plane intake, big headers, carb and that you should use a much bigger cam or else you’re choking it, strokers eat duration, etc. You can build all sorts of 3.31”, 3.58” 3.75” etc stroke engines with all sorts of heads, intakes exhausts, cams but a 4” stroke engine no no no! Slap a cast-iron intake manifold on it, 340 exhaust manifolds, carb it up and roll. And learn to pull the teeth out from the back of your throat every time you drive!

340 manifolds are a bit of a mid rise with the large ports, in and of themselves.

Power, Power . . .

Screenshot_20220221-133112_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220221-133017_Gallery.jpg

No bung in the bottom of the plenum on this one either. Good Dual Plane.

Hit the swap meets, they are out there yet.

Test #3, #4 and #5 in this link kind of shed some light on this - https://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/8408416strokerdynotestingsept2002.php

Looks like the cast iron intake and exhaust (with some work) gave up 56 hp and 45 ft/lbs to headers and an Air Gap. But even then, the cast iron test isn't too bad with 447/471. Now on the motor the OP is looking at, maybe he is down 50 hp? Up to him if that is giving too much up.

All I ever read here when it comes to stroker’s is that you need a single plane intake, big headers, carb and that you should use a much bigger cam or else you’re choking it, strokers eat duration, etc. You can build all sorts of 3.31”, 3.58” 3.75” etc stroke engines with all sorts of heads, intakes exhausts, cams but a 4” stroke engine no no no! Slap a cast-iron intake manifold on it, 340 exhaust manifolds, carb it up and roll. And learn to pull the teeth out from the back of your throat every time you drive!
Well I'm in big trouble then...
I just put a 408 in my power wagon build and it doesn't have a lot of high performance parts on it or a big huge cam... I do have headers..

Blueprint has plenty of good reviews on their 465hp/494ft lbs torque Magnum based motor. The main guy for Blueprint posts on here occasionally, but I forget his tag.

Mopar 408CI Stroker Crate Engine | Small Block Chrysler | Fully Dressed | Roller Cam

It's good to see shops building Mopar strokers with such good performance and warranties these days.

I love my 408 based Magnum, so much so that I ordered another one. I just wish the supply chain issues weren't delaying parts so much.

Supercharged and turbocharged Mopar engines.

Blueprint has plenty of good reviews on their 465hp/494ft lbs torque Magnum based motor. The main guy for Blueprint posts on here occasionally, but I forget his tag.

Mopar 408CI Stroker Crate Engine | Small Block Chrysler | Fully Dressed | Roller Cam

It's good to see shops building Mopar strokers with such good performance and warranties these days.

I love my 408 based Magnum, so much so that I ordered another one. I just wish the supply chain issues weren't delaying parts so much.

Calling @Johnny Mac - BluePrint Rep here on the F*BO sites. :thumbsup:

Same here....if the shipping issues and delays were not a consideration....I would be sniffing around for another 408 from BluePrint Engines.

Very happy with my conversion in the A100.

:lol:

My first stroker combo was 9:1 with an air gap, fitech, and a comp 274 hydraulic ft cam, rhs "x" heads (1.94 intake valve I think? The small ones) cheap hooker headers, 2.5" exhaust through 40 series mufflers. 4spd, 3.91 gears, 25.5" tall tire and it was super tame. Barely noticeable idle, but sounded mean as it climbed through the revs.
Had enough torque to leave in 3rd gear. More than once I did so and didn't really notice until I gave it more pedal and was met with a lot less smoke and screaming exhaust notes.. It did tend to run out of steam under 6k. It still pulled hard all the way there though.

Now it has trickflow heads, a ported Victor 340, more cam, more compression (about 10.25scr), same gear and tire and exhaust. It gave up about 500 rpm on the low side, but is happy to cruise at 2k. Floor it in any of the first three gears at 2500+ rpm and it would wheel hop so bad I have to lift (just installed assassin bars, we'll see how they do). It still doesn't feel like I have much pull once I get to about 6200, but I may need to re-evaluate the valve springs (running 1.6 rockers and near 615 lift, stock tfs 1.550 double springs). The single plane seemed to help the top end and acceleration a bunch, but butt dynos are notoriously inaccurate.

At any rate, the 318 it replaced is not missed. The stroker runs cooler, runs harder, and has been a ton of fun. The 318 had lots of cam, was rebuilt with flat tops at some point, and had the same air gap and rhs heads, so it didn't suck - it just had 100 fewer cubes.
Unless you know your hard parts are in good shape, the up charge to go with a stroker is not much compared with a typical overhaul. If you have a cheap shop, or are knee deep in oem parts, your calculus may be different.

No reason a stroker couldnt wear a stock intake and exhaust manifolds, so long as it's not expected to turn too much rpm.

The 465/495 build sounds to me like it would make peak torque under 5200 rpm (more torque than hp) and may not suffer the stock iron too much. But I'd discuss it with the engine builder directly first and compare what they say with the goal of the build.

Calling @Johnny Mac - BluePrint Rep here on the F*BO sites. :thumbsup:

Same here....if the shipping issues and delays were not a consideration....I would be sniffing around for another 408 from BluePrint Engines.

Very happy with my conversion in the A100.

:lol:

Thanks all! Lots of happy BluePrint 408 owners out there. It's unfortunate the supply chain is slowing everyone down, but we have slowly been building the mopars, and have rectified the cam shortage. Still have a backorder of about 100 to dig out of, but we are moving along. Definitely a "get on the list" time in the industry and order sooner than later. If I can help at all, shoot me a PM. Or my email is on my profile. Thanks

I replaced the 360 engine in my '70 Duster with a BPE Magnum 408 last Summer. The difference was day and night. The "original" 360 was tired and very cranky. The BPE engine was a drop-in, and ran great from the beginning. BPE dyno'd the unit before shipping and it came in with 465 HP and ~505 torque. I am running a 727 with a 9.5" 3500 stall converter, 3.23 gears and a 275/60r15 rear tires. Low end torque is great and the engine pulls strong. I have been playing around with the 3310/750 Holley the engine came with. Have also tried a new 750DP as well as the 650 AVS2. All have their advantages though the Holley's seem to be very fat at idle (fouls the plugs). Cannot use a vacuum gauge at idle because the needle is not highly damped and is all over the map (very lumpy idle). Have to tune with the RPM setting on my timinglight. The AVS2 seems to be more friendly down low but gives up some perf over 4500. Would I get another BPE again? You bet. Excellent quality.

Power=heat. Might need more cooling...minimum, I would use the HD water pump and maybe the HD (police, fleet) 7-blade(?) fan. Might need a bigger radiator. No real way to know beyong try it and watch the temp gauge.

Forget the stock manifolds as that would hamstring that 465 hp motor. That level of hp from a 408" motor requires headers and a good intake. Take away those parts and you will end up with a less than happy combination. You can still make it look stock'ish without giving both of those up.

Have you considered EFI and overdrive? If not, drivability will definitely suffer. For cooling, a custom US Radiator will do nicely.

View attachment 1715874764

Rick Ehrenberg ran 340 manifolds on a rip-roaring Ray Barton-built stroker. Cost some power, sure, but it still ripped.

And a set of these, all set.

View attachment 1715875068

I think that early (92-3) Dakota Magnum manifolds flow even better, though I have no idea how the packaging would or would not work on an A. (I know they can work on an F-body.)

IMG_20220225_192949.jpg
This is my 340 based 418 stroker. I've included a picture of my cooling. It works well, Champion radiator and a cooling fan from a Chevy HHR ($50.00 Brand New). 490 horsepower and 516 ft of torque.
IMG_20220225_192949.jpg

20180421_222237.jpg

Last edited:
I put a Blue print short block 408 in my 66 Dart. With Gear vendor overdrive. I finished the engine build for Torque, as I'm not really interested in racing it. Got warm, figured out it need a shroud, Factory V8 fan, WOW is all I can say on performance. I kept the small bolt pattern wheels, so I have 14 inch rubber, BFG, and they are for sure the weak link. Smoke show...

Dart7.jpg

And it gets 21 MPG hwy! 323 gears, with the GV overdrive...

I put a Blue print short block 408 in my 66 Dart. With Gear vendor overdrive. I finished the engine build for Torque, as I'm not really interested in racing it. Got warm, figured out it need a shroud, Factory V8 fan, WOW is all I can say on performance. I kept the small bolt pattern wheels, so I have 14 inch rubber, BFG, and they are for sure the weak link. Smoke show...

View attachment 1715877686

Yeah I agree. I loved my supercharged 340 but the horsepower and torque of the stroker is addicting. I have caltracs, split monoleafs and drag radials and I STILL have to be careful.

I ordered the race eliminator 408 la motor from PIE. I have a feeling it might be near Christmas before I see it though. But I’m in line and I can’t wait for the 600hp beast!! My 340 was tired and had 2 sleeved cylinders. The cam was from the 1980s… crane HIT-280.

go look at the spec on the race eliminator at pie…. The cam is insane. Gonna be a monster. But…He also makes a stealth 408 that looks stock.

im glad these cars are getting some dedication from engine builders and mopar only shops now. But talking about supply chain… prices are up too…. Just like the cost of the motor I bought…. But I got in right before the hike. Whew!

View attachment 1715877686

where did you get your 408 emblems?

-
Back