408 Troubleshooting: Won't Idle

-
I would say starter could be clunking noise under driver's door.
That wp pulley has a slight wobble. Loosen belt and check bolts.
Check ring gear teeth too.

I will try that on Friday, when I have some free time and the temp runs down to the mid-90's.

So, I took a look at the underhood of the car for the first time since my last post. There doesn't seem to be an easy way of removing the water pump belt as there's no idler/tension pulley. I can't get an allen into my water pump pulley. It doesn't seem like I'll be able to remove the water pump without removing the radiator.

So, I think my plan of attack is probably going to be the falling:
1) Remove the starter to inspect the flywheel.
2) Empty fluids and remove radiator.
3) Replace water pump.
4) Inspect to see if things are fixed...

20180716_192656.jpg

20180716_192713.jpg

You got an abnormal clank there alltightee. But it doesn't sound like it could be inside the engine, more like in the trans or the flywheel to crank bolts
While the starter is off you can check to see if the flywheel is loose on the crank, or the clutch bolts are backing out, or the crank endplay.
As to the WP pulley, what if the retaining bolts were too long?

So, I took a look at the underhood of the car for the first time since my last post. There doesn't seem to be an easy way of removing the water pump belt as there's no idler/tension pulley. I can't get an allen into my water pump pulley. It doesn't seem like I'll be able to remove the water pump without removing the radiator.

So, I think my plan of attack is probably going to be the falling:
1) Remove the starter to inspect the flywheel.
2) Empty fluids and remove radiator.
3) Replace water pump.
4) Inspect to see if things are fixed...

View attachment 1715199594

View attachment 1715199595

I'm lost. Why can't you remove the water pump belt? It's not a jap car or some new turd. Loosen the alternator and push it towards the water pump and the belt will be loose enough to flop it off there.

Also, as AJ said, make sure the water pump pulley bolts aren't too long and hitting the water pump housing. I've seen it before. I've also seen guys run bolts too long into the lower pulley and through the damper and into the timing cover. Makes a really nasty sound and makes a nice smiley in the timing cover.

Or if the pump screw heads had never fully drawn the pulley on, for whatever reason,that would explain the pulley wobble, which I thought I saw increasing between the video sections
And the pulley moving back and forth on the screws would certainly make noise
Yeah I'm grasping at straws hoping for the easiest to fix

My guess is you installed the belt by removing the water pump pulley, slipping the belt over it and then tightening the pulley down. Not the way to do it. You might not have the pulley bolts tight. Loosen the alternator adjusting bolt to install the belt and check the pulley bolts.

I pulled the water pump belt and I still here a knocking noise. When I started the car up, it only took one try and idling was super easy. I didn't even have to babysit the car as it idled.

When I later spun the water pump pulley san belt, it seemed to rotate smoothly. I didn't feel any crunchyness or radial play.

I don't do well listening to stuff on my iPad but that sounds bad. Have you looked under the valve covers? Also, I've heard noises like that when a rod bolt it tagging the windage tray.

That's what I got.

-
Back