408 vs. 440: Which Would You Choose?

-
With what you have, I'd 408 the 5.9 just for the roller cam and your horsepower goal is easily obtainable with less weight.

Factor in swap mounts for the BB too.

Do you want power steering?

I argued this road for many months as i looked at both a 440 big block and a 340 small block.

i went the 416 stroker small block (340) route and added w2 heads.
I just drove it for a week and watched the fuel gauge rapildy decrease in volume

The reason i went with the small block was because i already had everything for the small block package aka headers.

I still wonder about the big block route but i am happy with the expense i put out into the small block. However i do think it would have been easier with the 440 to get to the same power level.
I only street drive and may never touch a drag strip (mainly time reasons)

My vote is for the SB stroker, especially for your goals. If the whole car is set up right, it will easily get you mid 11's and be street friendly.

Since your stated goal is mid 11's so you don't have to put in a roll bar; do a 408. Hell a stock stroke 360 can do mid 11's, do a 408 and you've got the torque factor you are looking for. Less weight, better handeling.

Yes! what he said

it only takes a very very mild 440 to get you into the 11's. I bet you could build a stock bottom end 440 with mid range forged off the shelf piston for allot less then the 408 bottom end. it takes nothing to make 425-450 hp with a 440.

stock bottom end rebuild with 9.5:1 pistons
comp cams 294s cam
stock 906 heads with decent valve job (bowl blend would be nice)
performer rpm intake
750 carb
1 3/4 + primary tube headers
3:55-3.91 rear gear
3500+ stall converter

done deal.

Demon Seed's car was a 383 with a 727 and it was an awesome looking car and a well put together package.
Seeing that you are starting with a blank canvas, i would go with a mild 10:1 440 with about 550 horses and the new Trick Flow aluminum heads.
Since we're spending your money, i would buy a S-60 Dana to put in the rear with 002 and 003 Super Stock springs, Schumacher headers, the Passon 5 speed trans, Centerforce clutch with an aftermarket ''blow proof'' bellhousing, big bolt pattern discs on the front with 1.04'' torsion bars, and topped off with an AAR six pack fiberglass hood. Subframe connectors and an upgraded cooling system are a must.
Then paint it black and install the Cragar SS wheels that you want. I would go with 15X8'' on the rear with 275-60 15s, and on the front 14X6'' with say a 225-70 14 tire.
This should easily get you into the mid 11s and be fun to drive with the looks you want.
Stroker small blocks are cool, but once you drive a big block in one of these cars, you will never go back, guaranteed..........
Boy it's fun spending other people's money!

I'm on the same page as this guy. 440 all day long.

Doesn't take much to make 425-450 with a 408, either. Stock magnum heads with a decent valve job/bowl blend, performer RPM airgap, 750 carb with 1" spacer, 1 5/8" headers, and a comp cams XE284H (maybe even XE274H), 3.91 rear would get you there and keep a decent idle.

Don't really need forged crank/rods/pistons for that power, so the bottom end wouldn't be too much. Cast crank can be found for around $300.

Trying to help the guy get there with what he has rather than have to start all over.

Doesn't take much to make 425-450 with a 408, either. Stock magnum heads with a decent valve job/bowl blend, performer RPM airgap, 750 carb with 1" spacer, 1 5/8" headers, and a comp cams XE284H (maybe even XE274H), 3.91 rear would get you there and keep a decent idle.

Don't really need forged crank/rods/pistons for that power, so the bottom end wouldn't be too much. Cast crank can be found for around $300.

Trying to help the guy get there with what he has rather than have to start all over.

what rods and pistons are used for the 408?

My brother has a atk short block 408 and eddy heads with a small .480 lift cam and it feels pretty darn stout! Next year we're putting in a much bigger cam, oh yeah and his best time so far was a 12.20 so I would go with a sb stroker.

440. My car is mild and goes mid 11's on street tires and through the mufflers and I can drive it anywhere. The 408 offers sleeper status. The 440 offers wow status. In regards to being put back on the trailer by a SB anyone who has ever been to the track knows HP means nothing. A 4 cylinder pinto that run 25.0 could put you on the trailer. If you plan to run heads up you'd best forget about either of your engine choices. You need an 8 second plus car to be competitive in the heads up stuff.

x2

My two cents, 5.9 Magnum built to a 408 stroker.....hands down.
- Not only the long block weighs less, but same applies to intake, exhaust manifolds & helps with handling.
- Roller valve train.
- Made for todays oils.
- Cheaper & plentiful parts.
- More room in the engine bay.
- Can run the stock magnum serpentine belt system at a cheaper cost than converting a big block and you can buy the idler/belt parts anywhere.
- Better on fuel.
- More reliable.
- Easier to fit headers in engine bay.

Since you have both I'd go 440. Just basic machine work and pistons, goal met. No expensive parts to buy unless you want to.

I have both engines, but the stroked 493", 6 pack is in a '70 e-body with a Passon 5 speed. The EFI'd 408 with a 4 speed automatic-overdrive, lock-up/3000 rpm stall torque converter and 3.91 gears is in my '68 Barracuda convertible.

Both are quick and fast, but the '70 is much more so, as it has a touch over 700 hp, and is a handful. The 408 has just under 500 hp, is a blast to drive, gets better gas mileage (15/20 premium) versus (10/14 w 101 octane unleaded) and can is better suited to daily driving.

Either motor could have been built stronger, but street manners outweighed the chase for that last chunk of top end power in my builds. Both cars have smallish hydraulic roller cams for that reason. It was a good trade off that I appreciate every time I drive either one of them.

You really can't loose either way you go. Especially, if you run an overdrive and possibly even fuel injection. I may even convert my 493 to EFI soon. I love EFI.

Where have I seen that 70 Cuda before?

Thanks everyone!

Been swamped at work recently so sorry for the late response. I'll write more later.

With what you have, I'd 408 the 5.9 just for the roller cam and your horsepower goal is easily obtainable with less weight.

Factor in swap mounts for the BB too.

Do you want power steering?

Actually, no, I'm thinking about manual steering.

I live in Texas so A/C is likely a must.

You can get pretty close to your goal with the stock stroke 5.9 if you are on a budget. I ran my stock stroke junkyard magnum 5.9 at the track last night. My first pass on the motor was a 7.88 in the 1/8th. That calculates to 12.30s in the 1/4 and I haven't even started tuning the carb or playing with timing. This is a 3410 lb race weight 71 Dart full interior.

440 has the cool factor but not necessary for your goals. Just my 2 cents

I appreciate the responses, everyone. Sorry it took so long to respond; got busy with work once again.

DA4AD made some excellent points about the modern characteristics of the 5.9, but that said I'm leading towards building the 440 since it looks like it'd be cheaper to build than a 408 as everything else is a wash.

I don't want to touch the short block of the 5.9 I have now so I'd have to buy another engine to stroke... I'm looking at about 6k-7k to build a 408.

I think I can rebuild the 440 for cheaper than that, especially since I can run stock heads.

You don't even need to "stroke" the smallblock a properly built 360 will whoop *** on most bigblocks:D:D

I appreciate the responses, everyone. Sorry it took so long to respond; got busy with work once again.

DA4AD made some excellent points about the modern characteristics of the 5.9, but that said I'm leading towards building the 440 since it looks like it'd be cheaper to build than a 408 as everything else is a wash.

I don't want to touch the short block of the 5.9 I have now so I'd have to buy another engine to stroke... I'm looking at about 6k-7k to build a 408.

I think I can rebuild the 440 for cheaper than that, especially since I can run stock heads.
I run stock heads on my 410 stroker, were you looking to go quicker than 11.72 in the quarter mile?

Small block...nothing more satisfying then blowing the doors off big blocks,or the look on the big block owners face when he looks under your hood and realizes a small block put him back on the trailer:D:D:D

Bing bing bing bing,,,,,,we have a winner!!!

-
Back