418 W2 Stroker - Dazed and Confused

-

69CudaFormulaS

Reaction score
I've been searching and reading old threads hoping to find the right advice for my build. I am down to camshaft selection now and asking for help. Here's what is going on with the stroker..........
1973 340 block, .040 over, Eagle forged crank,
Ross forged pistons, 10:5 to 1
W2 Econo Heads (long valve), ported, flow 302 at peak,
73cc combustion chmbr
W2 Single Plane Intake
Edelbrock 750cfm carb
TTI W2 Headers
Currently 3:55 gear ratio, 4-speed, no power brakes

Realize I may need to go 3.90 or 4.11 on the gears, but I want a serious sounding cam that wont give up too much at lower rpm. Is this even possible?
Would like a hydraulic roller, looking at Crane HR238/365 with 238/246 duration, 292/300 adv duration, 548/558 l;ift.

I think I am over-camming but cant help myself.
Any input would be appreciated!

Two things...
The carb's too small... WAY too small.
The cam's too small. What are the flow ratings on the heads at .200, .300, .400, and .500?

I don't have the flow numbers with me but will get them. Also should have mentioned, I want to drive this on the street with a periodic trip to the strip. This is my first stroker build so I dont want to screw it up too bad.

lose the eddy and go with a 950 or 1050 Holley HP, I would go annular on the 1050.

that crane hyd roller cam sounds like a decent street piece.

what rpm do you want to shift at, max rpm?

My stroker is similar to yours,minus the W2 stuff(I have M1 with P&P Eddy heads)I have a new AED 850DP(930cfm)carb and love it.My cam is a Comp Cam speacial grind solid roller 252,258 with a .631 lift.It doesn,t have a problem with idle,it actually sounds mild.LOL.I run it more at the track then street.Your best to call Comp and give them your specs and they will help with your cam choice.Good luck.

414 cu. in. I'm using a hydraulic roller Comp Cam with .577 lift on intake and .572 lift on exhaust with duration at .050 intake 230 and exhaust 236. I'm using 1.6 roller rocker arms. Eddy Magnum heads with Eddy air gap dual plane intake. With Bigs Performance Stage 7 750 carb. The engine is real responsive and has a lot of power. Just a street car that is a blast to drive.:cheers:

Good info, thanks. I have not ordered the carb yet, so gonna go bigger now. I will call Comp and get their recommendation.

just don't go over board on carb sizing, for bigger isn't always better when it comes to what you thought you were going to do and what you end up doing-in the usage depot.

I've been searching and reading old threads hoping to find the right advice for my build. I am down to camshaft selection now and asking for help. Here's what is going on with the stroker..........
1973 340 block, .040 over, Eagle forged crank,
Ross forged pistons, 10:5 to 1
W2 Econo Heads (long valve), ported, flow 302 at peak,
73cc combustion chmbr
W2 Single Plane Intake
Edelbrock 750cfm carb
TTI W2 Headers
Currently 3:55 gear ratio, 4-speed, no power brakes

Realize I may need to go 3.90 or 4.11 on the gears, but I want a serious sounding cam that wont give up too much at lower rpm. Is this even possible?
Would like a hydraulic roller, looking at Crane HR238/365 with 238/246 duration, 292/300 adv duration, 548/558 l;ift.

I think I am over-camming but cant help myself.
Any input would be appreciated!

Go with 248@ .050 on 110lca and go with a 1000HP holley carb. It should make over 500HP easily!
Brian

Thanks to all. Can someone confirm that no oiling mods needed (other than a 7 quart pan and pickup) if I stick with the hydraulic roller cam and retrofit lifters?

I may be talking out my butt, I thought the retro rollers are for la heads not w2 heads? Will they work in both? I know very little about the mysterious w2 heads. I hear alot of talk about them. This is just for my own curiosity. Thanks

I may be talking out my butt, I thought the retro rollers are for la heads not w2 heads? Will they work in both? I know very little about the mysterious w2 heads. I hear alot of talk about them. This is just for my own curiosity. Thanks

the retro lifters are for LA blocks...does not matter what heads on the block....unless you need to oil thru pushrods...but the w2 oil thru the shafts.

Go with a Holley 950 HP at least, a bigger cam, and you'll probably want to shave a little off the heads to get the compression back up. Even though the pistons are supposed to be 10.5:1, it won't be that high with 73 cc chambers.

Thanks to all. Can someone confirm that no oiling mods needed (other than a 7 quart pan and pickup) if I stick with the hydraulic roller cam and retrofit lifters?

I don't believe you have told us what rpm your shooting for with this build.
That could way heavy on the oil mods

I am aiming for 5800-6000 RPM. Was hoping I do not need to go much higher than that. Oil mods would be a Milodon pan and pickup, and I'll look into an oil pump.

If your rebuilding you eng, then i would recamend oil mod(Theres a GRATE thread on here how its done.)

For 6000 or under, i wouldn't worry about it to much.............

That cam would be good to 6000 rpm's.I run a 4150 HP 750 big's prepped carb with my 416/340 stroker,it run's great.

That cam would be good to 6000 rpm's.I run a 4150 HP 750 big's prepped carb with my 416/340 stroker,it run's great.

Bigs is the man!!! I have a 1050 dominator that he set me up with. I run a comps cams mechanical roller 815 lift, 824 with 1.6 rocker arms. Runs great on the street. W5 heads.The best I got so far is a 10:42 !!!!

not really until 72-7500rpm do you need oil mods.

you can open the pump up to 1/2 and the rear main cap feed the same.

or a cross over tube in the valley & blocking the pass side oil feed to the #1. main so that the drivers side feeds only an that way rids the 3 passages and only leaves 2 for less psi loss.

google mopar oil mods.

these strokers like 850 cfm, we ave tried from 750 to 1050 , also 1050 dominator 850 works best

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwlcPPeTz5w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwlcPPeTz5w[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssRAHemsB6U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssRAHemsB6U[/ame]

3:55 gears with a 4" crank on the street will be fine. The torque of the stroker combined with a 4 speed will be one fun street car.

If you go with a high volume oil pump make sure you run a heavy duty oil pump drive or it will snap and bye bye engine.

I am aiming for 5800-6000 RPM. Was hoping I do not need to go much higher than that. Oil mods would be a Milodon pan and pickup, and I'll look into an oil pump.

If that is the rpm you are shooting for then stay with that hyd roller cam and a carb of 750 or 850 and you will be happy with it.

-
Back