418 W2 Stroker - troubleshooting help?

-

69CudaFormulaS

Reaction score
My stroker is finally running like a beast, after 2 years of bad shops and mechanics, but in the past few months sometimes while cruising at a steady RPM it just cuts out. Like a total loss of power, feels like it would if the choke is closed, but its not cause I have it wired open. Reving it up will keep it running, but runs like crap. This will happen sometimes after driving 20-30 minutes, but sometimes it doesnt happen at all. I have no idea how to troubleshoot while driving?
Fuel, electric? Temp is good, around 180 - 190. Could this be voltage reg or MSD box? Recently relocated the MSD box away from the headers, but no change.

It will run like crap until I turn it off, let it sit, and then its fine again.

Because it does not happen every time, if I could get some troubleshooting pointers, much appreciated.

Sounds like MSD box to me. Had the same problems with a couple of mine. I was running the Digital 6 Plus. Went to the old style 6AL analog box, never a problem since. See if you can beg borrow or steal a known good box to try.

many possibilities...

next time it does this, first thing after you pull over, check the gas cap... when you remove it or open it is there a HUGE woosh. if the venting is not right it can create a problem.

another possibility is the fuel pump itself. what is the history on it? what type is it?

could be the MSD box lke you say, or the coil. i've seen coils work until the car is warmed up then do stuff like that. it's probably not the VR, however they are cheap, easy to swap out as a test. usually a VR problem will cause the battery to undercharge or overcharge etc, not cause the car to just cut out.

it could be the carb, but i'd say it's more likely the delivery to the carb (fuel pump / or bad gas tank venting) or the ignition cutting out (MSD or Coil).

i've even seen ignition switches in the column that do funny stuff because of a short-out and they get heated up. but that's probably not as likely either. (unless you notice anything funny in the column, or smell burnt wires etc.)

there are other possible causes too. maybe someone else has more ideas for you.

also it took me a while to find it... this guy did all kinds of testing and on page eleven, come to find out, he had a cracked intake
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=260905&highlight=manifold&page=11
not the same exact symptom as yours, but an interesting thread if you like this kind of stuff

Could even be as simple as vapor lock. Only doing it after it gets some heat into it... Any steel lines close to headers or exhaust? Just a thought.

-
Back