426 small block stroker

-

mopfried

Reaction score
I have both a Magnum and an LA 360 block for a foundation for a 426 stroker. Other than the Magnum being made for Roller Lifters is there any advantage of using one block over the other?

Magnum heads flow better stock. Lesser choice for intakes though. Early 360 had thicker walls (?)....Id go magnum block with its roller bosses and oil mod LA heads unless you already got a magnum Air-gap .

Planning on W2 heads. I have several intakes to choose from.

Planning on W2 heads. I have several intakes to choose from.

If you are going to pushrod oil you can use the magnum block, unless it has provisions for shaft oiling.

Contrary to popular belief, the magnum block is not harder or better than the LA blocks.

89-92 roller 360 block would be a good choice, hard to find sometimes tho.

I used to grab any early 1970’s - 1980’s LA 360’s that I could get my hands on. I probably have 12 or so and stopped buying them even turning down 50.00 block and cranks. I’ve gone as quick as 9.74 with one and will soon be beating that number if the tracks ever open this year.

As stock, delivered from the factory, the Magnum was a better machined block. The only possible draw back to a Magnum block is a block without head oiling if you need the head oiled through the block and maybe the deck height, which really shouldn’t be a problem.

Otherwise, this below..
89-92 roller 360 block would be a good choice, hard to find sometimes.

Thanks rumblefish360, that reminds me, SOME of the early magnum blocks are drilled for head oiling, I have had 2 of them. Might be a first year deal, not sure.

The first couple of years they were drilled for sure. How long it was done is a good question. My ‘00 - 5.9 is have to take apart to find out and it is installed in my ‘79 Magnum.

The ‘07 - 5.9 I have isn’t drilled for head oiling.

I built my 426 stroker with a 1978 LA block , it was cheap and in great shape so far it has worked well , using Hughes roller lifters they dropped right in . whichever block you use will be fine as long as you do it right . I'm sure there are lots of Magnum builds here so there will be plenty of good advice . what kit you going to be using ? or are you putting it together with your own parts ?

Im considering a Hughes stroker kit with ported W2 race heads. I have Mopar W2 roller and bushed iron rockers with the stands and offset shafts. I also have a W2 Strip dominator intake. I have 318, 340 and 360 La blocks and a 318 and 360 Magnum blocks. I dont yet have a set of W2 headers or a camshaft. I want to run on pump gas and a 4 speed. I have 727's and a 518..... too may parts and too many ways to put it all together. Then i look at my B and RB blocks.....

Im considering a Hughes stroker kit with ported W2 race heads. I have Mopar W2 roller and bushed iron rockers with the stands and offset shafts. I also have a W2 Strip dominator intake. I have 318, 340 and 360 La blocks and a 318 and 360 Magnum blocks. I dont yet have a set of W2 headers or a camshaft. I want to run on pump gas and a 4 speed. I have 727's and a 518..... too may parts and too many ways to put it all together. Then i look at my B and RB blocks.....
I used the Hughes 426 stroker kit for the 360 if you use the 23cc dish pistons your compression would be fine for pump gas ,, i changed out the 23cc dish for 13cc dish to up the compression to 11. 4. kit comes with some nice parts engine winds up real quick . good luck with your build

I used the Hughes 426 stroker kit for the 360 if you use the 23cc dish pistons your compression would be fine for pump gas ,, i changed out the 23cc dish for 13cc dish to up the compression to 11. 4. kit comes with some nice parts engine winds up real quick . good luck with your build

Curious what pistons you used for 13cc. Only off the shelf ones I've found are Icon 9978, but I'd like to have more options.

Curious what pistons you used for 13cc. Only off the shelf ones I've found are Icon 9978, but I'd like to have more options.
called hughes and ordered custom DSS forged pistons with 13cc dish took about 3 weeks to get them

-
Back