426 stroker, is it reliable?

-
It seems that stock blocks suffer from flex and bust the cylinders at high hp levels. There are guys running them at 600+ hp with no issues and some have busted cylinders at less than 600. It all depends on the block and how sharp the tune is I suppose.

My 408 was in the 570-580 hp range and the main and cam bearings showed signs of block flex when I tore it down for a refresh and cam upgrade. When I found this I started looking for a R block and eventually found a complete but apart R1, Indy headed 394. These blocks are heavy but very strong.

BTW my 434 is not for the guy who just wants to stroke his engine for some extra power. I had no illusions when I built it what I was getting. That being said it get's driven a bunch and so far raced a little. It all depends on what you are willing to put up with.

cylinder bore thickness?
...good question and i don't know but it was an .020 over 340, or 4.060

Thats a great engine for a race car but the op is building a street car. Something that makes really good torque at 2500-3000 rpm is what makes a nice street engine. Not a huge cammed single plane (or tunnel rammed) engine that wont idle below 1000 rpm and needs a 4500 plus stall to work right. Not knocking ur engine at all. Just sayin you missed the point
Didn't miss any point. Over 500ft-lbs from 2800 - 3600 rpm, then it doesn't drop below 500 ft-lbs all the way through 6800. No need for a 4500 stall. 3K would do it. 3400 car, 3.91's, 3000 stall, you have a low 10 ride.

That's a nice 360 build. Is this the template you're using for your build? I'd be curious how much compression the Hughes engine had.
They used KB pistons, around 10.6cr IIRC. Iron heads more then doable for pump gas.

Didn't miss any point. Over 500ft-lbs from 2800 - 3600 rpm, then it doesn't drop below 500 ft-lbs all the way through 6800. No need for a 4500 stall. 3K would do it. 3400 car, 3.91's, 3000 stall, you have a low 10 ride.

They used KB pistons, around 10.6cr IIRC. Iron heads more then doable for pump gas.

I'm sorry, what? Is this the engine to which you refer? Horsepower on the left, torque on the right. Because 500 lb-ft @ 6,800 rpm is 647 HP.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/TechArticles/360s3_dyno_test6.jpg

605HP here with 416....like mentioned already, you need a great mix of top end components. Lots of potential for horse power in those 408, 416, or 426 air pumps, but you need a premium top end and a good cam to move that air/fuel mixture.

You've obviously not been behind the wheel of 600hp stroker. With a 600HP short stroke motor, you're tq is likely 500 ish maybe? And when is that all in by, 6500rpm? I'm just guessing, someone can probably figure out closer numbers. I'd rather have my 560 ft/lbs, of which 500 are in by 4000rpm, and I wind mine up to 7000 for the shift. Guaranteed 600hp from a stroker in equal cars/drivers pulls off the faster e/t against 600hp short stroke. Once you've gone stroker, you'd never go back ;)

You have no idea what I've done or how I do it. 600 HP is always faster than 600 pounds of torque. Always has been, always will be.

I like the broad torque curve strokers provide, especially in a street or street/strip car. To me high revving, low torque, on/off peaky engines aren't much fun. I'll take a 600+ hp, 600+ torque engine over a 600+ hp, 450+ torque engine everyday.

We all have our likes and dislikes, it's what makes us individuals. What works for me may not work for someone else, so build what you like and enjoy it. In the big scheme of things it's really small potatos.

I like the broad torque curve strokers provide, especially in a street or street/strip car. To me high revving, low torque, on/off peaky engines aren't much fun. I'll take a 600+ hp, 600+ torque engine over a 600+ hp, 450+ torque engine everyday.

We all have our likes and dislikes, it's what makes us individuals. What works for me may not work for someone else, so build what you like and enjoy it. In the big scheme of things it's really small potatos.
Same here. I had a nice running 360 then built a 408. The torque difference sure makes it a lot more fun to drive on the street. Had to have 3.73 gears with the 360 to run decent and it's not pleasurable running 70 mph for any length of time with them. The 408 has so much more low end torque that I now run 3.23 gears and naturally it's much more fun to drive. Nearly a full second quicker in the 1/4 also even with the 3.23 gears.

They definitely a blast to drive. Blows the tires at will. I thoroughly enjoyed my 442ci. But can't wait for the new 444ci to show up. Same block and heads, bigger cam more compression on pump gas.

I page through this and see many comments on "just go with a big-block" - but no reference to the basic theory of lighter = faster.

I was going to shoehorn a Hemi in my Dart but could not get over the weight penalty when compared to the 408. Same power potential (408 Vs 426), hundreds of pounds lighter. That is a no brainer.

Simple physics shows the 408 built to +/- 600HP spec is a fantastic performance combo in an A body when compared to a hop up 360 build or any number of big block choices.

You cant knock the stroker for the insignificant unfounded reasons posted to date.

cylinder bore thickness?
...good question and i don't know but it was an .020 over 340, or 4.060

He is has been an engine builder by trade for 25+ years and also a drag racer.I'm sure he would have sonic tested the block.He told me his 372 build was probably beyond the strength of the stock 340 block.

What really sucks is that no one offers after market 59deg.blocks anymore.
There's only so much a OEM stock block can take.

Ritter block has the 59 degree, that's why a I ordered mine as, should be shipped soon, was in the final machining process.

Think the cast iron is around $3000 plus freight, aluminum block think it's $4000 plus freight, can choose 59 or 48 degree lifter angles. As soon as I get the final bill I'll let you all know, he takes a deposit before casts are done. He's made some updates that people in the past have found issues with (just like the r3 blocks had when they first released). Great guy

Really?!?! Excellent!!!
Can you post contact info?

Can email him directly at [email protected], discuss you needs, block is capable of 4.250, any info about the block is on Hughes Engines website. And is cast and machine right here in the USA Ohio

You kinda want a BB 383 or larger. Wide torque band and 440hp with very little mess and fuss. Also, it will last forever:

youtube.com/watch?v=L-uV61qilqU ==>

I particularly like that 383 Mopar build. An excellent street package that I am sure would perform very well in an A body.
I'd like to try it with nicely preped Edelbrock heads and a 1.6 rocker.

Nothing a cutting torch and welder can't fix!

-
Back