440 - 2v

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
Did Chrysler ever sell a 440-2V powered car?
I my youth, I thought I had seen a 1970-71 Chrysler Newport with a 440-2V.
I know there were 383 & 361 2V's built.
Am I just a product of fuzzy memory or what?

No 440 2 barrels ever made. All 440s were either 4 barrel or 3 2 barrel carbs, six pack or 6bbl.

yes they did make 440-2 many Winnebago motor homes had 2 barrel carbs from factory, some did have the thermostats

Do you have any literature on that? I've literally tore apart dozens of motor homes (specifically for the 440) and never once saw a 2 barrel. Ive owned over 100 440s, no 2 barrels. I've seen adapters that allow a 2 barrel carb to be bolted on to a 4 barrel manifold.

I worked on many 426/413 2-barrels heavy duty truck engines they were governed at 3800/3600 rpm many of these were in motorhomes up to about 76.untill they started making the special 440 motor home blocks with the special cooling passages

I have never seen a 440 with a 2 barrel. But that means nothing. I have looked on all the resource sites and cannot find a 2 barrel casting number either......but they all list "common" intake casting numbers and a 440 2 barrel would hardly be common. If they did put a 2 barrel 440 in anything, bigger trucks and motorhomes would have made sense.

to those who say they have never seen it; thats ashame, to those who say they didn't make literature for it and it can't be, its too bad you spend that if its not in a book it "can't be"

many motor homes in Canada from the 70's were two barrel carburetors, 318, 360, 440 413, just about every engine they made had a choice of carburetor

OP might have seen a 400-2 LOTS of those and first year for Chrysler was 71 IIRC.

413-2 can be mistaken for 440, and I think someone posted a pic of an industrial RB 2 barrel motor on FxBO a few weeks ago.

LOTS of folks freaked out seeing the RB 2 BBL intake.

Picture:
413 - 440 raised block, Industrial 2bbl intake manifold.

Attachments

• 440-2vint1 (Small).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 391
Maybe they were on 413-426 industial engines but I do not believe they were ever put on a 440 from factory and I've seen hundreds of engines and farm/industrial ones including hemis with 2bbls but not once ever a 440...so NOPE..never happened from factory...now someone could have changed one out to a 2bbl manifold and have seen adaptors from 4 to 2 bbl on a 440 once and it didnt like it...kinda like a 440 hemi,never in production..sorry

Maybe they were on 413-426 industial engines but I do not believe they were ever put on a 440 from factory and I've seen hundreds of engines and farm/industrial ones including hemis with 2bbls but not once ever a 440...so NOPE..never happened from factory...now someone could have changed one out to a 2bbl manifold and have seen adaptors from 4 to 2 bbl on a 440 once and it didnt like it...kinda like a 440 hemi,never in production..sorry

x2:cheers:

I seemed to remember some Big Block Chevrolets with 2V's.

Yep...366 (and I think 427) truck motors had 2bbls. Ford put 2bbl 370's and 429's in big trucks into the early 90's. I think GM also put 2bbl's on Buick 455's in the 70's.

Aha!! I stand corrected....they did put 2bbls on a 440...yep 3 of em at a time...dagnabbit....lol

that looks like a factory intake to me, not an adapter...the question was do they exist? But i cant see a 2b on a motor that size. But i guess it depends on the jets inside the carbs.. I have a 2b on my 318 i want to change to a 4b.

the actual question was.... Did Chrysler ever sell a 440-2V powered CAR?
the answer is NO and will always be NO!

the actual question was.... Did Chrysler ever sell a 440-2V powered CAR?
the answer is NO and will always be NO!

Thou I agree to the point I've never heard or seen one in my 58 years. Ma Mopar has taught me to never say never. Cause it will come back and bite you in the A$$. Years ago it was easy to order damn near anything you wanted. Who would have ever thought they would put a 426 Hemi in a 4 door Coronet!

I seemed to remember some Big Block Chevrolets with 2V's.

Car wise, the 1969 396" only, rated at a gross 265hp. Same as a 396/325, but they also lowered the compression to 9.0/1. It was more of a big car/wagon thing for towing. I've seen two in wagons...

-
Back