440 crank in 383 block

-
I apologize if this doesn't necessarily fit in this thread but it will help me decide if I go with a 440 crank. I have a 1969 383 that came out of an Imperial. I don't have the dampener that came with the motor and I don't know if the crank is forged, cast and would like to know how I can find out. I may just do the 440 crank anyway, but like the original poster, I to am on a budget.

Thanks
*Rogue

I apologize if this doesn't necessarily fit in this thread but it will help me decide if I go with a 440 crank. I have a 1969 383 that came out of an Imperial. I don't have the dampener that came with the motor and I don't know if the crank is forged, cast and would like to know how I can find out. I may just do the 440 crank anyway, but like the original poster, I to am on a budget.

Thanks
*Rogue

Stock crank in a 69 383 would be forged.

The factory crank is also limited to about 600 h.p at the most.
I no of an iron headed 440 with a 6/71 that made 875@5750 and 890@4500 with a stock steel crank. it went two sesons running low 9's in a valiant, untill he put in thicker head gaskets and swapped to carbs and pump juice.
and aren't they the same forging as a hemi crank? that were used in topfuel in the 60's?

I have an old 383 .030 motor,I built it in 1992 spun(welded!) bearing 94'.It has been sitting ever since.16 yr old son wants to put it back together.I want to stroke it.It seems easier to buy the kit.

No self respecting Impreial would have a 383! :D Sure it's not a 440?

-
Back