440 detonation issue

-
Put a vacuum guage on it, run timing to highest vacuum, see what it is, then restrict the dist advance.( for total)

so what would be the correct rpm for full advance with a stock dizzy?

It varied on stock engines. Seen as high as 4K. 2600 is really low for a stock engine. You said both springs were on the distributor. Are you SURE? You cannot see one because it's under the breaker plate.

they are both there.i took it apart and looked looked early on in my investigation.

170 PSI shouldn't be enough to require high octane racing fuel. I am still banking on something else being wrong.

its at 170 with ONLY ONE PLUG REMOVED.and it gets there right quick.if i pull them all to let it spin faster i imagine it will bump a good amount higher.firing order is good,and i know its not lean,i tried making it fatter and it still pings.im not sure i mentioned this but under normal driving conditions it runs/drives just fine.it pings at full throttle.

It is starting to sound like compression. maybe do a compression check w/all the plugs removed and the throttle propped open...then we'll get a better idea.

If it starts to bump 200 PSI, that will give it away. My 65 Valiant had 205 PSI cranking pressure with ONE plug out and the throttle closed. It spark knocked unless I had at least a 50/50 mix of 93 and 114 Cam2. I drove it on the street for over two years. That was a fun little car.

-
Back