440 duster starter?

-

69dodgedart360

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a 440 duster with a 727 and am looking for a starter for it, what is everyone using for one? I have heard about using one from a late 90's dakota with the V8 but came across one and it seems to almost fit but the top terminals come into the side of the block and doesn't quite fit. I have filed it down a little bit but still doesn't work. Is there a specific year and model that i can walk into the local part store and get?

Thanks for all the help

I just have the big ole school Mopar one on my Dart w a 440... fit's easy with Schumacher Tri Y's... what headers? You can use a Dakota one too for a mini starter... like 89-97ish

I can't find the article, but some of these starters have what amounts to a terminal extender mounted to the "true" terminals on the starter. In many cases you can remove that extender "thing"

Other models of these starters are "clockable" in other words you can loosen and rotate the motor housing to gain clearance

I use a 318 starter from 96 dodge 1500 pu.I had to remove the terminal re-locator and i cut about 1/4 inch off of the main stud and i had to hog the bottom hole just a bit for a good fit.works like a charm.I have a 440 in a 72 duster with in body 1 5/8 headers.I can remove starter with out removing the headers.i just have to unbolt my Manuel box and pit man arm
but o also use motor plate so no need for motor mounts to get in my way.

I think they changed them in 95 up to where you have to remove the plastic terminal part on the starter... 89-95 and 96+ were different slightly longer and more $ I do believe.

Remove extender, slit cable connection a little (terminals a hair wider than old one. 93 5.2 works like that.

Cool, yeah i wanna say this is for a 98 dakota with the 5.2 and it does have an overly large plastic clip that I can try and remove. I am running a manual steering box as well and am using schumachers.

i am using a Minni starter that was for a 93 dodge truck with a 5.9 in my 73 440 dart. fits great even with my tti 2x3-1/2 headers. mopar65

-
Back