440 Dyno

-

MRL Performance

Reaction score
FAT 440 by MRL Performance

Here is a mild 440 budget build. Nothing fancy, nothing tricky, just a 440.

4.35" bore 3.75" stoke
Stock type replacement rods
Stock forged 440 crank
KB Hyper flat top pistons, cast rings
E Street heads, valve job, mild port clean-up, nothing fancy
Voodoo hydraulic roller cam 231/239 duration @ .050"
Gaterman roller lifters
RPM Stainless 1.6 roller rockers
Beehive spring kit
Holley 750 mech
RPM intake
Stock type oil pan
30* total timing, a little skimpy but thats what we ran

Idled at 950 w/13 inches of vacuum, slight lope

So what does the FAT mean? Flat A$$ Torque-curve!!!

It made 500+ tq from 3000-5200rpm, peaking at 540tq around 3800-3900rpm

It aslo made 500+ hp from around 5300-5900rpm, peaking at 508 at 5600rpm

Its nice to have a street engine that has power where ever, when ever you want it.

Attachments

• Web Pick Tim N.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 3,839
  • Valley.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 2,582
  • Short block.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 2,510
  • Rockers.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 2,424
  • Tim N after Intake.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 2,422
  • Tim N before Intake.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 2,362
  • Total seal quick seal.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 2,382
  • Tim N Dyno Graph0001.pdf
    464.5 KB · Views: 523
  • Tim N Dyno Sheet0001.pdf
    773.9 KB · Views: 444
Nice! What are the lift figures on that cam? What flow numbers on the heads, and what was the compression? Thanks for the info.

Lift w/ 1.6 rocker was .560/.580

Didnt flow these heads, but im guessing in the 295-290 range on intake and 215/220 on exhaust.

Compression was 10.34 to 1

Thanks for the specs. I have a machined but unassembled 440 sitting in the closet, with similar parts, cam yet undecided. Any hope of getting you to try a 950 carb on it?

I imagine the oil line is a way to feed oil to the heads without starving the #4 main. Indy does something similar but the lines are off the back of the block. This way it's hidden under the intake.

If you sign up for our teck letters you would have the skinny on those lines.

I eliminate to rocker feeds from the cam to save the main/rod bearings on the #4 main journal.

Dyno is done and engine is packed and ready to ship. A 950 might have netted more power, but im no thinking so. It was flowing 700cfm at 6000rpm, way past peak power.

I signed on for your newsletter/tech bulletins! Thanks...

Thank YOU!

It works like a charm. We can meter the oil flow and the rockers get full oil pressure all the time, not just a squirt every time the cam turns. It helps keep the springs/rockers cooler w/a more constant oil flow and the #4 main and the 2 rods it feed get the same amount of oil as the rest. Just about every BBM i have torn apart has more wear on the #4 main and #6 rod. Not any more.

I'm curious on the E Street heads. What are the reasons you chose them over RPM's?

Price and power level. No sense putting a set of high flow heads on an engine if your not going for high hp.

They performed well and the torque curve speaks for itself. Plus 500+hp from a 230* cam is not all that bad either

MLR,
You just got my respect.
USING THE RIGHT PART FOR YOUR BUILD.
Don't buy for your next build and use it on this build.

Thanks, I try to use the right parts for the job and get my customers the most power for their money.

First time I'm seeing these E Streets. Did I read the pricing right?!!? I like the smaller chamber as I'm always milling the RPMs down. Also like the straight plug configuration. I'd love to see these side by side with and RPM.

These are the 84cc E street p/n 5093($1470 a pair) and they have the angle plugs. they appear to be exactly like the RPM's as far as I can tell. Same ports, same springs/seals/retainers/locks.

They have the p/n 5090 75cc heads for $980 a pair

ok. I thought you used the 5090s. That's a very good price for a pair.

"They have the p/n 5090 75cc heads for $980 a pair"

Got any other info on these like flow numbers? I just looked them up but seen nothing on flow #. Very nice budget build you got going. Seems the 5090 might be closer to a stealth head in price and performance

Summit showed them Tramp. But the pics are just file pics and you cant tell much. My impression is they are aimed at the 915/Stealth customers because they have (according to the Edelbrock site) straight plugs and a slightly smaller chamber than those two. I'd be very interested in seeing a set of them. I'm assuming it's the same story - correct the valve job, fit with springs to match your cam, etc....

I dont think they have the straight plugs. They say the heads we used on this build had straight plugs, but they are angled like the RPM. Who knows.

I did order a set 3 months ago, still not here so I canceled the order.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34MzZNzUqAs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34MzZNzUqAs[/ame]Video Link, ENJOY!

I love this combination, it looks like a perfect combo for a nice street a-body like i'm building.
What is the price breakdown on all of the parts, and for the engine fully dynoed ready to ship?
How much would a set of Schumacher a body conversion headers reduce the power by? Would they change the torque curve much? Any interference issues on the angled plugs using these headers?
Thank you.

The cam is a Lunati Voodoo 60312 https://www.lunatipower.com/CamSpecCard.aspx?partNumber=60312

This 440 was Carb to oil pan and everything ready to run from fuel pump/lines to complete ignition system, dynoed, a real turn key setup. $9000 The basic break down is in the first post. Its pretty basic, nothing to fancy.

Our dyno headers are to big for this engine and they actually hurt the power output of this engine. I have seen it when our headers are too big, then switch them over to a smaller more suited header and pick up power. We did not have another set at the dyno time, so this is what we got. We were using 2" headers, but this combo would like a 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 better.

-
Back