440 exhaust stud

-

moparralph

Reaction score
I have an early 70's 440 out of a motor home engine that has a broken exhaust stud. I'm completely stuck trying to find a replacement stud that was broken, so that I can mount the headers. It is 5/8 into the head and 3/8 onto the manifold side. There is only one dual sized stud on each side of the motor. The rest are regular sized studs. As I understand it, this is something they just did on motor home engines. Where in the world do I find a replacement?? Thanks for any help!

Why not use a 3/8" stud and nut or just switch to a 3/8" bolt? Use thread sealer on it because they are wet.

I never heard of a 5/8" stud, so maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly. If you mean it was 5/16" diameter into the head, then go with with 5/16" all the way. You did get the broken one out right?

If I understand your post correctly the thread in the head for the stud is 5/8" and it necks down to 3/8" for the manifold. You could use a stainless steel 5/8" bolt of the correct thread and drill and tap it for the 3/8" stud. Use bearing race loctite or epoxy to secure your insert and seal it.

Dorman made a stud that was exactly the same as 440s.
I don't know the number or if they still make em. Its been awhile
since I've had to buy some.

-
Back