440 header question

-

Mopastor

Reaction score
Okay, about 6 years ago I bought some BB headers for an A-body off E-bay. I finally got my 440 done and am putting this all together. It all fits pertty well except the one pipe on the driver side that is near the steering arm. It rubs like crazy almost ot wher it wont steer. The question I had is with not knowing exactly what they are is there a trick to fitting them. (ie) do you need to buy a steering arm that is shorter? So they even make such a thing?

Supposidly they are hooker super comps for BB in an A-body. They are partial fenderwells in that on the drivers side 2 pipes run outside the frame and on the passenger side only 1 pipe runs outside the frame. Appart from that the others run inside the frame. i'm not sure if any of you have ever seen this style of headers before.

Any thoughts or should I just buy a set of full fenderwell headers and be done wtih it?

The motor is an INDY headed 700 HP Motor so I don't want to go too small or with Tri Y's.

Thanks guys!

have any pictures of them? they do sound like pro parts. all the sets i have installed had plenty of room on the bolt holes to kinda tilt the header up enough to clear the steering.

If you buy Hooker Super Comp full fenderwell headers for a RB in an A Body, extensive modifications will be needed to eliminate interference with the front tires while turning. I had to reshape/relocate 6 of the 8 pipes on mine. After the mods were done, full lock to lock steering is possible with a 27" tall front tire on a 15X4 front wheel.

The ones you describe sound like ProParts Headers like Doug said.

Good Luck.

George

Thanks for your input guys!, I will try to get some pictures of them put up here. Im new at this, so I need to figure out how to put them on a thread.

it would be good to know the year of your car to. some parts work for some years and not others. I can't tell the year your car is but it looks like 71+. we may also need to know if you have motor mount or motor plate.

My 1970 duster I had the castle nuts on the center link/tie rods hit the oil pan. but i swapped it out for the center link from a 1973 dart and it worked fine because the tie rods conected to the center link with the castle nuts on the bottom.

I know your problem is that they are hitting your headers, and mine were hitting my oil pan. but it is just an example of what to look for.

What was your car originally? v8 or /6

Phil

I'll take some pictures.

The red car here is my 73 dart.

The Big Block car is my Drag car and thats a 74 Duster. Originaly a slant six.

It has a Mid plate and the fenders had already been cut for fenderwell headers. I already had to have someone modify one tube because it came down righ on the motor plate.

I just am thinking Fenderwell may be the way to go with the pain of changeing plugs and having to get yet another pipe custom done.

-
Back