440 HP(Six pack rods)

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
So I bought some stuff and got part of it today. The rods are 6 pack rods. Not really that big of a deal and yes I know it takes more power/engine stress to run them. But its what I got now. I got the Forged crank, rods and balancer. I once heard that 6 pack rods take a special balancer is this true? If so what do I need to look for?

So I bought some stuff and got part of it today. The rods are 6 pack rods. Not really that big of a deal and yes I know it takes more power/engine stress to run them. But its what I got now. I got the Forged crank, rods and balancer. I once heard that 6 pack rods take a special balancer is this true? If so what do I need to look for?

i dont know the answer to your question...but i dont think anybody would ever notice the difference in six pack rods vs any other....cept maybe aluminum. i mean....if six pack rods were so horrible, why was the 69 1/2 road runner the fastest car of it's time? huh? everytime i hear or see somebody doggin six pack rods i just laugh.

Ok can someone explain something to me.

I have 6 pack rods but the balancer I have is a standard forged balancer. I understand these take a special weighted balancer. Do I have any other options here?

I have 6 pack rods but the balancer I have is a standard forged balancer. I understand these take a special weighted balancer. Do I have any other options here?

I'm sure. Lookin in the Summit book, they all are the same. Internally balanced. I have no doubt a good machine shop could make whatever balancer you want on it to work. You're gonna balance it anyway, right? It seems like i have heard somethin similar to what you're talkin about here. Try callin Summit. they should be able to tell you. If not them, then year one for sure.

Check this out. I just found it. http://www.440source.com/dampers.htm

that confirms what you're talkin about and proves the six pack engine of the particular year they talk about was externally balanced. It seems they all were not though according to the text. I hope that helps.

The 6bbl rods are heavier, and too heavy for the normal forged crank counterweights. So they use a balancer similar to the Hemis. It is unique. Brandon's close... the pistons in the later 440s with these rods are shorter and lighter, so they required less counterweight and therefore the factory used the std balancers. However, there are plenty of factory 6bbl engines that left the factory with std Magnum cam, rods, and pistons. Especially the early units with the aluminum intakes. If you have the rods and want to run them I'd suggest you have the shop balance the assembly. If you run light weight pistons they may be able to do it without Mallory. It's a crapshoot until your parts are spun and the bobweight is known.

Generally speaking the six pack rods have fallen out of favor strictly due to the reciprocating mass. These days they really are not necessary. When you get to the point of making enough horsepower to need better than the standard 440 rod, it's time to buy something new, not something 40 years old......

I didnt know I was getting 6 pack rods. Ill be honest and say I didnt research it enough. But its what I got and switching is an option but its all more money. So if I can find a way to make these work. Id rather have a set of LY rods then these but thats not what I have.

That and the fact these have been redone with new bolts puts me a bit ahead. I could have my LYs done but then again its more money.

Calm down with the special balancer...I am running six pack rods and a forged crank out of the smog motor home 1973 engine...I run 440 Sources china chrome balancer and it runs smooth as a baby's butt....the real reason they are not liked is because they are heavy as crap...they are even heavier and beefyer than the original 426 hemi rods...they for sure won't break..but they will not spin the rpms as fast as lighter rods...thus said I will never see 7000 rpms and mine is not a bracket racer or full time race car...I had mine shot peened...new ARP wavelock bolts torqued to spec and then honed....they worked for me and end up being a third of the cost as some new lighter forged rods..

Mine will never see 7000 rpm. Solid is what I want. I guess that Im panicing because the money I pour into this I have little room for error.

I have an virgin 1971 440-4bbl out of an R/T Charger. It has the Six-Pak rods. It has an counter weight on the balancer. The counter weight is not as thick as the cast crank balancers. Does anybody know if they used a counter weighted T/convertor? I had read that the 1970 & up 440's all used the Six-Pak rods.
You could always sell the recon Six-Pak rods to someone doing a resto & do the earlier LY rods.

I have an virgin 1971 440-4bbl out of an R/T Charger. It has the Six-Pak rods. It has an counter weight on the balancer. The counter weight is not as thick as the cast crank balancers. Does anybody know if they used a counter weighted T/convertor? I had read that the 1970 & up 440's all used the Six-Pak rods.
You could always sell the recon Six-Pak rods to someone doing a resto & do the earlier LY rods.
My motor home smog pusher 1973 dated had none on the balancer but I could have sworn there was some kind of small square welded to the torque convertor...they stopped using them in 1973....

Thay may be out dated, but every 440 6-pack bottom end I ever tore down the block would crack before the rods or crank would let go..

Well.....I stand by my opinion. I don't think a human could tell the difference between six pack vs standard rods. Maybe a dyno could. But to say you could tell a difference I think is a stretch. In the end, I think either rod will work fine, as long as you have a good balance job done. The rods may be "dated" or whatever you choose to call them, but Chrysler engineered them for a reason. Since I don't have a degree in engineering or physics, I sure as heck ain't gonna question it.

well here's my 2cents worth the( Brannon bros.)out of Winchester VA. built two identical motors they had the same everything from the carb to the oil plug EXEPET one had the 6pack rods the motors ran 200ths within each other. and the last I herd the six pack motor was still running...my self id run them....Artie

............The reason so many 440s r running so much faster these days is all the light rotating assamblys...............kim...........

............The reason so many 440s r running so much faster these days is all the light rotating assamblys...............kim...........

....and I'm certainly not disagreeing with that statement. However, what i am saying is, with ALL else being equal, the six pack rods would not make a noticable difference. At least not to human perception. Now, A six pack motor vs a motor built the same but with an ENTIRE lighter rotating assembly would be another story. But just the rods being different I don't believe will make a difference.

Problem is there isnt much call for Six Pack rods. These 440s are running faster because stroker kits and new affordable heads. The LY's have been around for years longer then Ive been alive. So to say that the whole reason these run faster is because Six Pack rods are going by the way side is a bit of a stretch. I want something solid and if these will work great. But I do see what yall are talking about. I have a great set of 6 Pack rods Id be willing to trade Anyone want to trade 6 pack rods for LY's?

So we all know the difference:

Six Pack:
SIXPACK.jpg

LY:
LY.jpg

I'd prefer the factory six pack rods and steel crank anyday over the china junk, 440's don't need to be twisted 8000 rpm... Maybe I'm just ole' school...

-
Back