440 in my 66 cuda

-

cuda_bill

Reaction score
i am just about to start an engine swap on my 66 cuda. i have decided on a 440 stroker for the little car. i can see some problems coming. i have purchased a mount kit that will allow me to use my original k member. i am a little concerned with the exhaust and some other issues. if anyone has any advice to help me through this it would be appreciated.

But there are some good tips on this at the http://www.bigblockdart.com/ site.

Exhaust and front suspension is the bigest issues.

You should go withthe .890 T bars and at least some decent disc brakes too. I would go with the 73-76 A body front end and you can get a rebuild kit that uses B body tire rods, etc to beef it up. Also you know you should do Frame connectors too.

man what a fun car!
:wav:

Chat with Abodyjoe. He did a 440 in a Valiant and has info on his website.

Sorry Bill, if you were doing a 70, 71 or 72 a body I could help you out. If you haven't already talk to these guys cuss they specialize in this swap. I used there mounts and headers for my Demon but I can't be sure with your 66 cuda. http://www.engine-swaps.com/

As already mentioned you'll be looking at suspension upgrades, minimum 8 3/4 rear, sub frame connectors, minimum 3 core shrouded rad, and disc brakes up front but maybe you already know this. Have fun.

Terry

biggest problem you will have is the exhaust. 1st i would suggest a 383-400 instead of the 440. a 440 is probably 1-1 1/2" wider then a 383-400. this makes a huge amount of difference. have you already bought the 440?
dump the power steering and get a manual box, this gives you a whole lot more room.
the seam that joins the firewall to the trans tunnel will need to be flattened to clear the trans. i welded mine on the inside and just cut the rest off.
headers are possible but will have to be custom made and exit through the fenderwells. there may be some out there but im not 100% positive.
radiator size may be a factor also. i havent gotten that far yet.
i think you will defineitly need sub-frame connectors to keep the body from twisting.
abody joe has some pics of his car that are cool and ill post a few pics of mine with the 383 and hipo manifolds. note the steering shaft to manifold clearance.
good luck and dont be afraid to ask for advice, theres lots of smart folks here.

rt ex manifold clearance.jpg

engine top view.JPG

clutch-brake cyls.jpg

lt ex manifold clearance.jpg

he has a hydraulic clutch on his car that is the clutch master if i remember right

Chat with Abodyjoe. He did a 440 in a Valiant and has info on his webs.

I thought the same thing. I believe he had a competent muffler shop build some wild headers for that car. The burnout videos are great too! Lol!

What's that little white reservoir?

Yeah it`s for a hydraulic clutch, it`s a combo slave/master cylinder. You need all the room you can get when putting monster motors in these cars and the hyd. clutch eliminates all of the clutch linkage.

yes the little white bottle is a hyd system,,,his is mounted in same exact place as mine for correct pedal push rod travel,,opened up the speed-o- cable hole

fstfish66  digitial oct 2007 021.jpg

thanks i already have the 440. frame is connected with an 8 point cage, 8 3/4 inch,and reinforced schock towers. also a mini tub. planning on the disc brakes. my biggest concern is exhaust. i heard of spitfire headers but not sure if they will work on mine. thanks for your help

thanks i already have the 440. frame is connected with an 8 point cage, 8 3/4 inch,and reinforced schock towers. also a mini tub. planning on the disc brakes. my biggest concern is exhaust. i heard of spitfire headers but not sure if they will work on mine. thanks for your help

The spitfires headers are for a small block in an early A only. There was a car for sale on ebay that had a 440 in a 65 (I think) Cuda. I might have pics at home I'll check for ya.

you need to get custom headders made for it.. no one makes headders for a big block early a-body at this time.. other then that its a pretty easy swap. especially now that you can just buy mounts for them.

64valiant025.jpg

??

[ H 7 ] Engine Mounts
I laid some ’64 / ’65 Hemi mounts in the engine compartment early on and they looked like they might work. However, I would have had to buy another set for my recreation since the ones I had belonged to another car. For about the same money you can buy Schumacher’s mounts. They don’t make mounts for a Hemi / ’64 - ’65 A body conversion (yet) so I bought a set they make for a Hemi / ’64 - ’65 B body transplant. They are generally built like a large hinge so I figured they would give me more flexibility in locating my engine. I had to cut, weld and tweak the side of the mounts nearest the K member but this was fairly easy as the “hinge pin” and urethane can be removed to separate all the pieces. The stock Hemi mounts have the two faces at a 45 degree angle. When I got done the Schumacher ones were a much more flexible 45 degrees + / - 15 degrees.

Okay okay..so he had to tweak them a bit..oops.

I'm really impressed with this 440 in an early abody stuff....very cool you guys!

a guy in the chicago are claims to have the orignal petty barrracuda in a garage,,

I got a 400 based 451 in my '65 Barracuda. I used Streetmasters mounts, sounds like the hinged mounts the others talked about, allows you to rock the motor a little to the passenger side to clear the steering shaft. Proparts headers from Bob Mazollini (SP?) are the closest headers you'll find that'll fit without lots of work with the exception of the angel wing style Hedman Hussler that cost over 700 bucks. Just a few mods to 2 pipes around the pitman arm and the pass wheel well (take it in about 2 inches) Clearance under the car is lousy but a stock height front end would help alot, mines lowered about 3 inches. This car is a project on the back burner for months so no wisecracks about the spiderwebs! Infants will do that to ya.
440 would give you more ground clearance but would suffer up top, although it may help a tad over the shock mounts. the Proparts hit my pan rail on my 400 so I had to ding them. Pound flat the trans hump seam, install 3/4 inch spacers between the K and the subframe and dont run power brakes or a 4 speed ( I dont know if the z bar would fit down there). Hi-po manifolds will fit great, a very smart option for a torque motor as the exhaust headache will all but be solved, just mill the driver side manifold about 5 degrees on the mounting surface so it tucks in a little better and the steering shaft will clear with ease, may have to modify the joint to a "flaming river" type coupler rather than an OEM piece, and forget power steering. Now to just add the snout bars and tie them to my shock mounts...
451001.jpg

451 001.jpg

451 003.jpg

451 004.jpg

451 005.jpg

451 006.jpg

I've got a nice 70 440 rebuilt and ready to go in my 64 Valiant! I just dont have the balls to start hacking away at my wheel wells. I think I'd try and find someone to make headers like Joe did. I've got all winter to make up my mind. I really want the 4-speed too. Am I just dreaming or what?????

Dave.................

I put a 440 in my 66 Cuda back about 9 years ago...car's gone now.

When I bought the car it didn't have inner fenderwells, so I didn't care too much about using a set of fenderwell headers that I had sitting around.

I also used elephant ears for the motor mount. The car was originally a /6 auto manual steering and manual brakes.

Since I had the elephant ears I took the time to move the motor back up against the firewall, thus giving me more tire clearance.

I didn't have to modify the headers, but it was tight anyway.

I used an Edlebrock TM7 intake which allowed me to use my stock flat hood.

Here is a pic that I have. I will see if I can find more.

cuda 440.JPG

66 cuda.JPG

Check with Hesley motorsports in knoxville tn they still make the Herb McLandles a body big block headers which work great

When I bought the car it didn't have inner fenderwells, so I didn't care too much about using a set of fenderwell headers that I had sitting around.

I also used elephant ears for the motor mount. The car was originally a /6 auto manual steering and manual brakes.

Since I had the elephant ears I took the time to move the motor back up against the firewall, thus giving me more tire clearance.

Do you remember what size tires you ran on the front of that beast?

those are the hooker super comp headers for the 1967-1972 abodys right?

looks awesome! like OMG!=P~

-
Back