440 Purple Cam rust spot is it ok?

-

DusterDale

Reaction score
Good weekend all!
Just a quick question on what looks like a few rust spots on this cam from sitting outside for a while. Is it salvageable as far as the rust goes? If so I'll mic the lobes and see how she looks for general wear.

Thanks,
Dale

Attachments

• cam.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 377
That cam is toast. Only install it if you want to go through the grief of wiped cam lobes leading to a full engine teardown. Hydraulic flat tappet cams aren't expensive, buy a new one and be done with it.

A wire wheel should clean most of that off. See what is left after that. The etching should be good for holding lube. Are you putting new lifters on it or have the ones that were on it? If that was on the top of the top of the lobe or ramp it might have been an issue. It could also be reground.

Toasted cam! Cut it up for individual paper weights or fishing line sinkers.

What cam was it?

It was an old .509 I think with a quick measurement. Still has purple paint by the gear.. I do have the lifters saved in order. I was trying to reuse as much as I could on this rebuild but will likely use a cam recommended earlier a comp cams 683801 .467/.494 lift with 222/234 @.050 duration. Thanks for the advice to you all!

See what it looks like after a WD-40 and a ScotchBrite rub down..........

Well you could use it as a regrinder core............

Scotch brite?!?!

OMG, cut it up into fishing weights and go spend a Benjamin and a half on a new & improved set up.

Alrighty then a new cam it is! I'm curious on using my existing rocker arms... the stock stamped paddle style with a cam with a lower than .500 lift. They do look decent can they work?

Alrighty then a new cam it is! I'm curious on using my existing rocker arms... the stock stamped paddle style with a cam with a lower than .500 lift. They do look decent can they work?

Yes. Don't need anything exotic.

-
Back