440 stroker kits advice and more....

-

rtee007

Deplorable Texan
Reaction score
...........what are you using and why? Who has the best price/parts/service.

I'd like some camshaft ideas too if you wanna give them. 3.55 8.75SG, 727, 3600 lb 4dr sedan.
This is a street ride. Thanks!

Do you want a complete kit with crank, rods, pistons, bearings, rings, etc.? If so then check out SCAT, 440Source, Hughes Engines or Mancini Racing.

I just built a 470 low deck stroker for Mopar Action using a rotating assembly from SCAT. The guys at SCAT are now selling a lot of Mopar stroker kits and you can get them from Summit with a discount coupon. SCAT will allow you to substitute different pistons. I went with a Diamond dish piston to stay at 10.5 compression with my Trick Flow heads.

WOW! Lots of kits out there, yes I need a complete kit, Monster looks very promising.
Title weight on car is 3600 and it is a 4dr. 3.55 8.75SG, 727.
From Monster website:

440/525: 4.375 stroke x 7.100 rod, 1.

Were gettttiiinnng biiiggger! This is a great combination for heavier vehicles that still want to maintain an internal oil pick up tube. Station wagons, trucks, B and C bodies with full interior are common recipients of this stroker combination. Lots of stroke (read: torque) to motivate a 3800+lbs Mopar. Chamfered bearings as well a file to fit plasma moly rings are included in the balanced rotating assembly. Forged .030, .040 and .055 available in dished and flat top pistons.

Muscle is decent, but you still have to check things. I've used probably 10 440Source kits over the years that always had the same issues (or details I considered issues). I've only done 1 Muscle Motors kit and while I was impressed witht he finish quality of almost everything - the chamfered bearings were not chamfered enough and the assembly would bind with both rods on the throw. This was a 383 based kit too, and there was a long (months) wait with promises of pistons that were not shipped for a while. Minor things in the big picture but enough that I wouldn't say it's ready to go out of the box.

Muscle is decent, but you still have to check things. I've used probably 10 440Source kits over the years that always had the same issues (or details I considered issues). I've only done 1 Muscle Motors kit and while I was impressed witht he finish quality of almost everything - the chamfered bearings were not chamfered enough and the assembly would bind with both rods on the throw. This was a 383 based kit too, and there was a long (months) wait with promises of pistons that were not shipped for a while. Minor things in the big picture but enough that I wouldn't say it's ready to go out of the box.

Well that isnt good either.

...........what are you using and why? Who has the best price/parts/service.

I'd like some camshaft ideas too if you wanna give them. 3.55 8.75SG, 727, 3600 lb 4dr sedan.
This is a street ride. Thanks!

For budget deals, 440 source can't be beat for price AND quality...4.25 stroke and be done.
Cam we use is around 244@ .050 and .630 lift...hyd. roller. TF heads and really that's about it. Should make excellent power and not be overly costly if you do the assembly yourself.
Brian

I purchased my parts seperately.

Molner crank. My machinist said it was one of the nicest cranks he had ever worked with. Top notch machine work.

Used scat rods and icon Pistons

And how was TBA cost wise and compared to the 440 kits?

K1 crank, Scat H-beams and Diamond custom blower pistons... All really nice pieces.

Mr Catfish
Is that a Dodge silver on your car?
Im looking at paint colors, would like to stay with a true dodge colour. if I can find a silver that pops and is dodge?

Well that isnt good either.

Nothing new if you build stroked engines. When you take parts that were never in the production stuff, you HAVE to make sure everything is right. For the most part, the higher price point parts are finished better. Kits are easier. But with nay purchase it's up to you to check everything carefully and decide if something is "good" or needs tweaking.

Nothing new if you build stroked engines. When you take parts that were never in the production stuff, you HAVE to make sure everything is right. For the most part, the higher price point parts are finished better. Kits are easier. But with nay purchase it's up to you to check everything carefully and decide if something is "good" or needs tweaking.

Yep. I don't care if you buy a kit or everything separate, ALWAYS double check EVERYTHING. I don't recommend buying anything and trusting the manufacturer that it's good to go, ootb. Spend a little extra time and money if needed, and do it once. ;)

yep. I don't care if you buy a kit or everything separate, always double check everything. I don't recommend buying anything and trusting the manufacturer that it's good to go, ootb. Spend a little extra time and money if needed, and do it once. ;)

agree w/ nitrojunkee, check everything anyway! I bought my 505" kit from hughs engines. The race balanced kit, it doesn`t even shake the car w/ a motor plate !

Mr Catfish
Im looking at paint colors, would like to stay with a true dodge colour. if I can find a silver that pops and is dodge?

Sorry Cope. Car was painted when I bought it.

Mr Catfish

Regular old Dodge pickup silver from the mid-90's.

MillerHouse117.jpg

Cam we use is around 244@ .050 and .630 lift...hyd. roller. TF heads and really that's about it.
Brian, What cam is that? Brand? Shelf model or custom grind? Same brand for the lifters? Did you have
to bush the lifter bores? Did you use the supplied Trick Flow valve springs and retainers (which ones?)
or did you change them? any issues?

Thanks, John

-
Back