$450 chinese turbo and 600 plus HP(food 4 thought)

-
Hypothetically speaking, lets say you had the wrenching skills necessary to build a 600hp rat motor for $6700. With the astounding airflow potential of today's conventional Cylinder heads and the multitude of dirt cheap rotating assemblies cluttering up the Summit catalog, this caliber of HP per dollar heroism is certainly attainable----try hard and you could even do it with stock heads. Even though that would qaulify as an impressive budget build by most standards, how many people have an extra $6700 to throw around on anything let alone an engine, these days?
While that concept is like so cliche, we're serious about turning up the wick on dollar stretching performance. How does a junkyard 5.3L small block boosted to 550HP with a do-it yourself turbo setup built for $3089 suit your fancy?
ieHOTROD

After reading this thread I have a couple of questions. 1 I understand buying a turbo from ebay. Now if a engine needs a rebuild.

( I am talking stock rebuild with better parts)

1. Would you go for forged pistons and Con rods?
2.Would you also balance the whole assembly
3.If not How you rebuild?

Hypothetically speaking, lets say you had the wrenching skills necessary to build a 600hp rat motor for $6700. With the astounding airflow potential of today's conventional Cylinder heads and the multitude of dirt cheap rotating assemblies cluttering up the Summit catalog, this caliber of HP per dollar heroism is certainly attainable----try hard and you could even do it with stock heads. Even though that would qaulify as an impressive budget build by most standards, how many people have an extra $6700 to throw around on anything let alone an engine, these days?
While that concept is like so cliche, we're serious about turning up the wick on dollar stretching performance. How does a junkyard 5.3L small block boosted to 550HP with a do-it yourself turbo setup built for $3089 suit your fancy? ieHOTROD
That tally includes a tuned factory computer, a wiring harness, bigger injectors and every last nut and bolt, plus a U-bender to get it done. If we had another $194 to spend on a camshaft the power jumps to 598 HP
Throwing boost at a modern 5.3L junkyard small block just makes to much sense. Second hand hardware piled in junkyards has always represented a pinnacle of cheap performance. Junkyard fuel injected motors can be had from $250 to $1000. The roller cams and ecellent flow characteristics of the modern heads makes a great combination. We purchased a complete 5.3l engine with computer and wiring harness for $459 with a 150K miles
To pressurize our test subject we put a low ball bid on Ebay for a 76mm turbo and won it for $425. The rest of our cobbled up DIY system included a Turbosmart wastegate, blow-off valve, and a manual boost control. To control the fuel and spark we matched up a stock computer with HP Tuners software, Ford injectors 42/lb and a 2.5 bar chevy MAP semsor.
The U-bends, flanges, and V-band clamps required to build the turbo piping were all suppied by Fastlane Inc.Fastlane specializes in LS, HEMI and modern powerplants. Anyone with a Mig welder should be able to fabricate this setup.
Most of the Chinese turbo;s found on Ebay are small frame units intended for four to six cylinder engines. When it comes to Chinese turbo's
large enough to support a small block V* the selection is limited to the T72 T76 Huffers. We purchased a 76mm unit from ETD motors, which the company rates at 800HP. It features a Billet AL backing plate, a 4 inch compressor inlet, a 2.5 inch outlet, a standard T4 exhaust flange , and a 3 inch exhaust outlet
The Chinese T76 turbo's are offered with just 3 A/R ratio's 0.68,0.81.0.96 The arewa radius ratio refers to the area of the turbo housing cross-section divided by the distance from the center of the turbine shaft to the center of the turbo housing. In other words the A/R ratio refers to how much the turbo housing necks down in diameter as it approached the turbine wheel. A tighter A/R is better siuted to smaller motors as it reduces turbo lag at the expense of top end power . We opted for a large 0.96 A/R ratio
Boost: With the 5.3 strapped to the engine dyno our goal was to see how far we could push the stock long block on 93 pump gas. For baseline pulls we set the wastegate at 8 psi of boost and dialed in a conservative 11.8/1 A/F ratio and 16 degrees of ignition timing. The wee 325 responded with 532hp at 5300RPM and 563lb of torque at 4500RPM. For the next round we increased the boost to 12PSI the Hp increased to 550 and 575 respectively---April 2011 HotRod just a synopses there is alot more in the article-good stuff and pictures

After reading this thread I have a couple of questions. 1 I understand buying a turbo from ebay. Now if a engine needs a rebuild.

( I am talking stock rebuild with better parts)

1. Would you go for forged pistons and Con rods?
2.Would you also balance the whole assembly
3.If not How you rebuild?

Depends on how much boost your gonna run. Under 8 psi and stock stuff is pretty safe,but any more than that your gonna want forged stuff. The stock internals might take 15 psi or more,but not for long.

And thats the fun part of a turbo. 10 psi was good so 25 is better right? So you crank up the boost but forgot about the stock bottom end...

I was considering a turbo,but realised I have hyper pistons which really dislike detonation...I'D probably be safe under 10 psi,but who the hell is gonna be happy with just 10?lol

the new article with that same motor shows they made over 1000hp over 60 times with nothing more than larger gapped top rings :toothy5: and its a 4.8! not a 5.3, Thats pretty damn awsome.they figured after all that all it would need is rings once it got tired but hasnt yet.

Those motors look like mopar rotating assemblys with SBF heads. Good bolts and forged internals are nice and a great idea but alot of people are haveing tons of fun on a good tune on junkyard parts, Alot of people are scared to blow up there invesment ( me being one of them ) But I have rarely broken anything when everthing is right and im not being greedy.

Joe.

Bottom line is that a turbo is cheap....putting that turbo in a CAR (not a dyno) is not cheap. It is a hard long road. Just ask anyone who has a turbo car. Even the simplest designs have a lot of plumbing, wiring, and other crap that goes on and makes the project really hard to undertake. Lets use Maddart as an example. He started with a simple idea and has taken it to a nearly completed state. I think his thread is 30 plus pages and counting. Snowball comes to mind. I personally have built a couple of turbo cars and have had decent success and the feel of a turbo small block mopar is like nothing else. Yeah you can throw a giant turbo at a LS motor and make stupid power but you can do the same damn thing to a SB Mopar and blow through a carb and have the same result. Think junk yard magnum with a big turbo. I made over 900 hp to the rear wheels with a stock block and crank in my SB Mopar.

On another note I have had an older Turbonetics turbo come unhinged on a blow through 360 and it fed my motor the compressor wheel one shaving at a time. It wrecked every piston and cylinder walls not to mention all the bearings. It could happen to any turbo motor. Cheap Chinese turbos are all around and it may get real hard to find one not made in China in a few years, so I dont think they are as bad as some say they are.

well all this turbo'ing got me thinking... and i might do a single turbo on my 318 or ..... twin turbo on my 383.... i love the idea of this. granted i know how to weld and i do have access piping i would need so it could turn out cheaper then most for me when i start... but non the less i am going with a china made turbo off ebay. you cant beat deals and other turbos ive installed for my buddies in jap cars have never failed. i guess its like any other product out there it just comes down to the individual one you receive... some people dont have problems.. others it blows in a month. but thats any product you buy as well.

I always see articles on people who have turbos on their mopar motors, but you never see how to build them so to speak. You have the engineers who built their own from scratch by using CAT products or the all out engine builders. It would be nice to see a mopar build on some basic street set ups from stock to mild etc for the paupers like myself.

The supercharger store has kits for an amount above 6K when all is said and done for XX HP

Paxton etc costs around 3-4K for XX HP

Proper and reliable single turbo kits on mild to stock SB Mopar without breaking the bank??

My first turbo was a knock-off T70 and it left me stranded on the starting line. Broke the air side nut off and destroyed the fins. Nothing went into the motor luckily. After figuring up the fuel, time and wasted trip to the track and then starting over new with a better turbo it would have been cheaper to just get a good Garret that I have now. The good turbo was good for 4 tenths in the 1/4 mile without doing anything but a turbo swap. Sent the knock-off to my turbo guy and he said there was 3 different manufactures inside the turbo and wasn't worth the $$$ to rebuild because of the machine work involved. My experience was a bad one because of the $$$ invested into the cheap turbo and not put towards a good one right away. I don't like to do things over. Congrats to all who can get the cheapies to work.
Later
Ryan

The good turbo was good for 4 tenths in the 1/4 mile without doing anything but a turbo swap.
This is something that I have been wondering about ever since Mad Dart started his build. How much are you leaving on the table by using an Ebay Turbo? Sure you will sped more on the turbo itself, but the fab work $$ will be the same.

This is something that I have been wondering about ever since Mad Dart started his build. How much are you leaving on the table by using an Ebay Turbo? Sure you will sped more on the turbo itself, but the fab work $$ will be the same.

I hear what you are saying but for most applications which are more for recreational street and occasional track use they should do ok. I am hoping that mine will be very streetable with a 2.76 gear and I hope to drive it all over the place. I believe the combination should still run in the Low 9's, High 8's. If they spool later I will smack it with a 100-150 shot of NOS and boost control it with the EBC through the 1-2 shift and have the NOS Timed to shut off sometime before that. We soon shall see.

My first turbo was a knock-off T70 and it left me stranded on the starting line. Broke the air side nut off and destroyed the fins. Nothing went into the motor luckily. After figuring up the fuel, time and wasted trip to the track and then starting over new with a better turbo it would have been cheaper to just get a good Garret that I have now. The good turbo was good for 4 tenths in the 1/4 mile without doing anything but a turbo swap. Sent the knock-off to my turbo guy and he said there was 3 different manufactures inside the turbo and wasn't worth the $$$ to rebuild because of the machine work involved. My experience was a bad one because of the $$$ invested into the cheap turbo and not put towards a good one right away. I don't like to do things over. Congrats to all who can get the cheapies to work.
Later
Ryan

Well Ryan, you are the first I heard of an end user where a knock off came apart. I still have not found anywhere where these gt45 ebay knock offs have done the same from an end user. I will soon find out what this combination can produce on the Dyno. It will be Chassis Dyno'd once it is installed in the car also.

On the Diesel forums there are guys totally abusing the Knock off GT45 pushing well over 50PSI and over 50K miles on them with no issues at all. Maybe they are just lucky.

There is a rebuild kit for the ebay GT45 Knock off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...arms=clkid=2570478166636749041#ht_3607wt_1136

I hear what you are saying but for most applications which are more for recreational street and occasional track use they should do ok. I am hoping that mine will be very streetable with a 2.76 gear and I hope to drive it all over the place. I believe the combination should still run in the Low 9's, High 8's. If they spool later I will smack it with a 100-150 shot of NOS and boost control it with the EBC through the 1-2 shift and have the NOS Timed to shut off sometime before that. We soon shall see.

Well Ryan, you are the first I heard of an end user where a knock off came apart. I still have not found anywhere where these gt45 ebay knock offs have done the same from an end user. I will soon find out what this combination can produce on the Dyno. It will be Chassis Dyno'd once it is installed in the car also.

On the Diesel forums there are guys totally abusing the Knock off GT45 pushing well over 50PSI and over 50K miles on them with no issues at all. Maybe they are just lucky.

There is a rebuild kit for the ebay GT45 Knock off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...arms=clkid=2570478166636749041#ht_3607wt_1136
Louis, please don't think as it was an attack of sorts as that is not how it was meant. Just thinking out loud. I agree for recreational type of use the knock offs are great. Just thinking that .4 is .4 in terms of go power. High 8's would be great, but low that .4 would put you into mid-low 8's, which for a "mild mannered" pump gas turbo car is even just a bit more impressive....

Louis, please don't think as it was an attack of sorts as that is not how it was meant. Just thinking out loud. I agree for recreational type of use the knock offs are great. Just thinking that .4 is .4 in terms of go power. High 8's would be great, but low that .4 would put you into mid-low 8's, which for a "mild mannered" pump gas turbo car is even just a bit more impressive....

I don't take it like that Doug, we are just discussing stuff here. I am very interested myself on how my combination will respond, just a little excited to find out is all, getting close.

I don't take it like that Doug, we are just discussing stuff here. I am very interested myself on how my combination will respond, just a little excited to find out is all, getting close.
Are you still sending it to the dyno first?? If so, any idea when....

Are you still sending it to the dyno first?? If so, any idea when....

Yes, It should be in the next month after the heat starts to go away a little bit. I know for sure it is HOT & Humid at Brian's Shop in Indio, Ca. I am waiting on a few little things like some 3 & 4 Prong weather pack connectors and enough time to finish off the wiring and a few other minor things.

I have a chinese ebay T3 on my bug and have over 20,000 miles on it to date this year alone! works fine. I have had Garrett turbos come apart and nothing went through my motor put on another one and good to go, If the Chinese turbo explodes inplodes what ever ill bolt on another. I do not personally know anyone that has had a Chinese turbo failure so far.

Have fun!
Joe
i'm on the second e bay t3t4 on a 2.3 ford,runs 20 psi, and yes the bushings got clogged up with burnt oil so the unit failed.the new setup has a better drainback hose,runs 22lbs now no failure in 5 months so far....

i'm on the second e bay t3t4 on a 2.3 ford,runs 20 psi, and yes the bushings got clogged up with burnt oil so the unit failed.the new setup has a better drainback hose,runs 22lbs now no failure in 5 months so far....

I am curious what oil you run and how often you change it?

hello was talking to my friend about this kind of build today.... wow. i was going to buy one but thought it was "too cheap" for a turbo kit... but the more i read up the more its cheap but not in quality. i might go for it after read this. any one i should get for my 318?

TXDart you said that your good friend,Mark purchased off of Ebay,
He has been running them hard on his 318 powered fury for over a year now.
He is on his second stock 318... can you tell me what kind of setup he has or what he used... i want some info on how to start on the project. thanks.
My friend Mark moved 200 miles away and only talk on the phone.He pirchase most of the parts off Ebay and fab his own headers...
Go to theturboforum.com and they have a wealth of info.
Here is a picture he emailed me.
TXDart
jpeg;base64,

Attachments

• SS850445 (640x479).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 399
-
Back