452 heads

-
Isnt that what 0 decking takes care of? Is to help with quench?

No, zero decking is machining the head gasket surface of the block to where it is the same height as the stroke/rod/piston combo is beng used in it. Heads are totally different.

In order to make your engine run on these heads, you need to know the flow numbers for the whole lift range. Then you cam for that. Looking quick, I'd say you may not make your figure with that cam if the heads are tested to and peak at .500-.550. Because your cam, minus the lash figure, will only get to the higher flow window for a very short time. If the figures from .300 to .400 are not in the 240-250 range, you have no hope of coming close to 500hp with that cam. Looking at the numbers it seems to me the exh side thru a 1.74 valve seems a little "happy".

I talked to the guy today. He mentioned he had spoke with his porter. Your right on the exhaust. He said he put it down wrong. It was in the high 190's. And in the .400's it was at 255 intake. Said they flowed really well in low ranges. I dont have the flow numbers thought the whole thing. The valves have also been back cut.

Right now really confused. I guess I would think regardless of what cam I choose the porting provides more flow. I most likely wont have the flow numbers down low. 500hp doenst have to be exact. I really want a hot street car. Lopy sound with good power. I figured these heads would help. These flow numbers arent too far off OOTB Stealth heads as far as flow goes.

timing....

yes the flow is there on the bench, but does/will the cam chosen allow enough of it in to get whats needed into the combustion chamber, thats what is being said here.

if these heads peak at .5-.550 lift...i would pick a cam that opens the valve around .575....dependent upon wether or not they back up real bad immediately after or not ...if thats too much cam for u...then at least get an actual .530-.540 lift at valve

if u only just touch the 240-250 cfm lift range, ull need more duration to insure the goals reached, imo...go lil more and it's less....lol so more lift can be less cam when it comes to manners relevant to fast rate lobes. jmo

Isnt that what 0 decking takes care of? Is to help with quench?

Yes it does if you have a closed chamber head or an open chamber that has been cut a lot , if those heads are around 88-90 cc you will not have any quench even with zero deck pistons.

I already bought them. Guys run these all the time. I think ill be close but from my reading I see guys around this compression running pump gas and the same heads.

I made 325 horse at the tires with a 228 465 110 hyd cam!
370 tq at the tires! WITH THESE heads. Convert those numbers. Factor in a real
Cam! These heads make power.

I made 325 horse at the tires with a 228 465 110 hyd cam!
370 tq at the tires! WITH THESE heads. Convert those numbers. Factor in a real
Cam! These heads make power.

I'm with ya, they should work good. What intake manifold were you using and what size engine?

I already bought them. Guys run these all the time. I think ill be close but from my reading I see guys around this compression running pump gas and the same heads.

Hang in there, use one of the cams you've talked about, get your retainer to seal clearance checked and fixed if necessary and you'll be okay.

With a big cam, I've run 91 octane, 11.9:1 compression, 906 heads with .160" quench (zero deck, .120" combustion chamber depth, .040" gasket), locked distributor at 38 degrees initial and had NO problems. You WILL be able to make those heads work.

See if you can get ahold of a copy of "Old Reliable" by Don Dulmage,(the book is out of print but he has made it available on DVD) your build is not far off what he discribes in his book. I am running 10.72 @ 124mph in a 3200lb duster with the build from that book, with home ported 452 casting heads and Lunati solid cam with lift around
.520, Don states in his book that a set of ported iron heads don't flow well passed .540- .550 lift. Sounds to me like you should be able to make the power your looking for with your combo

Ive seen that. I have enough books right now I dont think another is going to help me. I know the books are full of proven combos and how toos and what nots. But sometimes its best for me to talk to others that have been in the hobby for awhile. I get my best advice here and sometimes even though its tough to get answers few people pull though. I have really thought out this build and have been researching and bounching ideas off people I know. I like the orignal cam I selected because it seemed to fit well. Good lift decent duration but still docile enough to make a solid street car.

Ive seen that. I have enough books right now I dont think another is going to help me. I know the books are full of proven combos and how toos and what nots. But sometimes its best for me to talk to others that have been in the hobby for awhile. I get my best advice here and sometimes even though its tough to get answers few people pull though. I have really thought out this build and have been researching and bounching ideas off people I know. I like the orignal cam I selected because it seemed to fit well. Good lift decent duration but still docile enough to make a solid street car.
Please accept my appoligy, I guess my info wasn't wanted here, I was just trying to help.

Please accept my appoligy, I guess my info wasn't wanted here, I was just trying to help.

Why apologize ? Sometimes people already have it set as to what they are going to do and are just looking for someone to agree with their thoughts.

:eek:ops::eek:ops::eek:ops::eek:ops::eek:ops::eek:ops::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::eek:ops::eek:ops::eek:ops::eek:ops::eek:ops:

Why apologize ? Sometimes people already have it set as to what they are going to do and are just looking for someone to agree with their thoughts.

Your about half right here. But the question originaly was about 452 heads. I have myself done alot of research and thinking on this build. The questions are purely to back up what I have researched. Thanks for the replys fellas and all feed back is wanted and appreciated.

no problem 72 we all can use some good old free info now and then..even when we dont ask for the info gave we can take something from it and use towards something we are doing......:angel7:

Ok heads arrived. how to tell if they have been ported?

Do springs have part numbers? If not is there a way to test them to see what they will stand up to?

No part numbers on springs , you have to pull them and have them tested to see what their open and closed pressure is . It would be best to purchase springs that are recommended for your cam and use those instead of wasting time on an unknown set.

How to tell if they have been ported ... look at them ... but that will only tell you if someone has done any work to them , having them flow tested to confirm either positive or negative results is the only way to know.

-
Back