470 SFT cam recommendation (I searched!)

-

CheapnNasty

Reaction score
I know it’s been beat to death, and I’ve read andyF’s book, and searched on multiple forums. Just looking for further advice as my build isn’t best combo of parts, scrounged and bought what I could get deals on.

Duster street strip - 11.50 or slower don’t want a cage at this point.
Likely 3.91 gears, auto, 93 pump gas
400/470 9.5:1
Ootb stealth heads
Schumacher headers
Rpm air gap 750-850 carb

Based off all the reading I think something a hair hotter than the old mopar .528 solid would be a good choice with my small headers, but I haven’t seen much off the shelf cams that fit those parameters well.
Already have iron adjustable rockers, and I’m not too worried about vacuum as I have manual brakes. Not trying to get every bit of et out of it obviously, just need something streetable enough to drive to the track. Would likely be a 60/40 street/strip deal and trying to find a sweet spot for cam and converter.

Ken Heard at Oregon Cam Grinders has a slightly hotter take on the MP .528/284 cam. Grind #549; .539 lift, [email protected], and 249 vs 241 @ .050.
Mechanical Camshaft Specifications
Since you say that vacuum isn’t a concern and it’s a custom grind, maximize your investment and use the 128 cam formula and set the LSA on a 103. This gives you 78 degrees of overlap vs the MP 60 degrees of overlap. When you email or talk to Ken, he may give you an updated list with a different cam number.

Stl4246bs Hughes sft .
The 470 cubes with 9.5 will probably run really nice. It's on a 109 lsa. 560s lift.
I ran the 260-264 with 11.6 compression and it was way to small with trickflow 240s . It made peak rpm at 4300 rpm if I remember correctly.
I have the 264-268 cam I'm there now but with almost 13.0:1 and again the cam is to small, it will idle at 900 and makes peak at 4900.
The optimum intake duration for my engine is about 274 . Which I would have never thought of because it sounds huge.
My point is the 470 will make a seemingly big cam act pretty docile. But the bigger cams will want more than 9.5 compression.

Ken Heard at Oregon Cam Grinders has a slightly hotter take on the MP .528/284 cam. Grind #549; .539 lift, [email protected], and 249 vs 241 @ .050.
Mechanical Camshaft Specifications
Since you say that vacuum isn’t a concern and it’s a custom grind, maximize your investment and use the 128 cam formula and set the LSA on a 103. This gives you 78 degrees of overlap vs the MP 60 degrees of overlap. When you email or talk to Ken, he may give you an updated list with a different cam number.
That's the cam I'm going to run in my unicorn head slant 6 build, but ground on a 106.

That's the cam I'm going to run in my unicorn head slant 6 build, but ground on a 106.
That will run out pretty good.
You might have to change your saying. I was born on Monday, not last Monday.
To, unicorn head slant 6 will run....lol

That will run out pretty good.
You might have to change your saying. I was born on Monday, not last Monday.
To, unicorn head slant 6 will run....lol
Man I sure hope it does. You'd think with all the mids to the head, it will haul ***.

Depending on how many street miles you want to run, i'd stay pretty conservative with the camshaft. At 3400 lbs you only need about 450hp to run 11.5 with a good conv/susp set up. I personally would look at something that leans toward a old school ''soft'' lobe profile so you can get some good miles out of it. My first thought was the old mopar .557, but today you probably would have trouble finding a new one...lol.

Remember, if you decide to ''bar/cage up'' at some point, that engine will make some big power with a single plane and a bigger lift solid roller, even with the 9.5 to 1.

However you choose to go, spend the $ for a quality torque converter.

Good luck, it's gonna be a fun ride.:thumbsup:

Why don’t you give Jim@Racer Brown Cams a call after 3pm est. next week. Tell
Him what you want to run and what you have.

Do you have a thread on it ?
Yeah. Here it bees.

Here is the thread on the unicorn head.

Regardless of what the cam choice is…….there’s an easy 15-20cfm to be gained from Stealth heads by reworking the valve job and blending the bowls.

Just sayin’

Also……buy a good converter.

Lunati has a nice voodoo solid flat tappet just a bit stronger than the purple 557. Good luck finding one. Comp cams ate up lunati, edelbrock ate up comp, and summit doesnt list ANY lunati camshafts.
Might try jegs.

Regardless of what the cam choice is…….there’s an easy 15-20cfm to be gained from Stealth heads by reworking the valve job and blending the bowls.

Just sayin’

Also……buy a good converter.
On the fence with this, i’ve read about these gains I just don’t have anyone local that I know of I’d trust to get the real 15-20 cfm.
Near Cleveland if anyone has recommendations. Guess I’d be willing to ship also. I’d love to do it myself if possible but am uneducated at exactly what would need done to the bowls.
I’m going to call around to racer brown and Oregon to see what’s what. Forgot to check jegs lately too.

My 470 is 10.2:1 w/OOTB Edelbrock heads. I originally put it together with this Comp solid(this was years back)
Xtreme Energy 244/252 Solid Flat Cam and Lifter Kit for Chrysler 383-440

It ran OK but I ended up losing a lobe off that cam so I said screw it, spent the money and put this solid roller in.
Xtreme Energy 242/248 Solid Roller Cam (3 Bolt) for Chrysler 383-440

It likes the roller a LOT better! It just runs a lot better with that roller. It's street toy with zero track time. Maintenance has been minimal. Pulls HARD through the middle with a nice lope at idle but completely driveable.

My 2 cents....bump compression up a tad and find a mild street solid roller. You won't be sorry. Good luck with the build!

Was going to do the Comp cams 282s but I bought the XR280 for a Eddy rpm head 451 build. Thanks for the insight Dcuda69.
My build is slow process

Lunati has a nice voodoo solid flat tappet just a bit stronger than the purple 557. Good luck finding one. Comp cams ate up lunati, edelbrock ate up comp, and summit doesnt list ANY lunati camshafts.
Might try jegs.
They finally got all of the backend (of the business) transferred over and will start revamping the Lunati line. This excites me because WAY back in the day when I ran Oldmobiles, Lunati was the go to brand for camshafts. I am thinking of trying a new cam out and when I decide what I want, I might give them a call.

I wouldn't use Comp in anything at this point and I cannot believe people are still goin for um.

I wouldn't use Comp in anything at this point and I cannot believe people are still goin for um.
I've heard the stories but I haven't personally had any issues with Comp and I continue to use their products. I'll never run a hydraulic flat tappet cam from anyone ever again though.... lol

I've heard the stories but I haven't personally had any issues with Comp and I continue to use their products. I'll never run a hydraulic flat tappet cam from anyone ever again though.... lol
I've heard the stories as well and lost that lobe on the SFT but the roller has been fine. The sft that I lost was a good number of years ago and the roller has been trouble free since. Just threw it out there as an idea of specs. that worked well in my 470"

I lost lobes on a mini express mushroom, many years ago, due to too much spring, and too little experience. I havent had trouble since, since i use those old purple cams, instead of the new fast rate ones.
I do like several of the Voodoo solid flat grinds, for a bbc I'm planning, I hope comp/edelbrock continues to offer them..... without ruining em.

I lost lobes on a mini express mushroom, many years ago, due to too much spring, and too little experience. I havent had trouble since, since i use those old purple cams, instead of the new fast rate ones.
I do like several of the Voodoo solid flat grinds, for a bbc I'm planning, I hope comp/edelbrock continues to offer them..... without ruining em.
I love the old purple grinds. I wish they'd bring them back.

The purple 557 in my car, I got for good guy price. (close friend runs a repair shop, and she buys lots of stuff from Glendora Dodge). I think it costs triple what i paid now.
Craziness!.

-
Back