496 stroker stealth heads

-

duster-z

Reaction score
i have acquired a 1967 383 2 barrel engine out of a fury and plan on using the "440 source" 496 stroker kit and stealth heads when i rebuild it and was wondering if any one has done this before and if so what kind of problems i might run into?
also what kind of power should i get with a holley 750 vacuum secondary and a new aluminum intake on the stroker?

Thanks, Tyler

I don't use the B wedge for that combo because the pistons are just too short IMO. If you choose to go that route, you'll need a much larger carb and a decent intake to feed it.

I don't use the B wedge for that combo because the pistons are just too short IMO. If you choose to go that route, you'll need a much larger carb and a decent intake to feed it.

what carb would you recomend ill be running it on pump gas

Carb at least a 850,power determans on the work you put in the heads and the cam you put in it. If you are going to use the stealth heads I would call 440 source and talk to them. Mark

You'd be happier with Indy's EZ heads...MW version. Otherwise it'll be kinda bland on top.
Brian

I have done this
Have a 440 source 496 stroker.
Ran a Mopar M1 manifold and an 850 DP Carby.
The stock stealth heads out of the box.
Comp cams Hydraulic roller 23-713-9 549 Lift
Ran a best of 11.4 @ 117 in a 3900lb street car

I have just ported the heads and changed the pistons to get more compression. ALso swaped to a quickfuel 1050 carby. Runs on pump fuel.
So I will let you know how that goes when I get to the track.

Dave

[ame="http://youtu.be/__2lLQAvEOQ"]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/__2lLQAvEOQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/ame]

We built one last weekend although not that big.
We used a forged 440 crank which we turned down ourselves in my lathe and bored the 383 block 60 thou to give 438 inches.
Block was machined 20 thou to zero and square it.
The crank balanced up real easy.
Pistons are Diamond flat tops and the rods are new H beams.
We had to notch the bores to clear the rod bolts.
Cam is a Comp XE274H.
Heads are std Stealths with the retainers and locks changed to Comp 10 degree items.
Rockers are Comp ball and ball iron rollers.Pushrods need to be 8.2".
Intake Edelbrock Performer RPM with Holley 750vac.
Compression is 10.3:1
TTI pipes.
2500 stall.
It's in a C body 65 Fury as a cruiser with some balls but hasn't been fired yet.
My brother(his car and engine is hoping for 450hp.
I'm thinking 400.

You'd be happier with Indy's EZ heads...MW version. Otherwise it'll be kinda bland on top.
Brian
Do you have any dyno data comparing Indy EZs to Stealths and or 906s. I have a fresh flat top zero deck 440 and as soon as I get my tax refund I'm going to finish the engine and car. I have a set of 906s but I'm very reluctant to spend money on them so I'm considering either Stealths or Indy EZs. I've heard repeatedly not to purchase Indy products directly from Indy because they have quality issues and if you get a bad product they simply turn their back on you. Where is a good place to puchase Indy, Hughes, Dwain Porter? Also last year Edelbrock announced they were coming out with new RPM Xtreme heads for B,RB motors and they said 80cc chambers with 220cc ports but they're no longer on Edelbrocks web sight.

Do you have any dyno data comparing Indy EZs to Stealths and or 906s. I have a fresh flat top zero deck 440 and as soon as I get my tax refund I'm going to finish the engine and car. I have a set of 906s but I'm very reluctant to spend money on them so I'm considering either Stealths or Indy EZs. I've heard repeatedly not to purchase Indy products directly from Indy because they have quality issues and if you get a bad product they simply turn their back on you. Where is a good place to puchase Indy, Hughes, Dwain Porter? Also last year Edelbrock announced they were coming out with new RPM Xtreme heads for B,RB motors and they said 80cc chambers with 220cc ports but they're no longer on Edelbrocks web sight.

I'm an Indy dealer..so you can purchase them from me if you wanted. Not sure about the eddy heads, CC wanted us to do a build with them but I elected to go with the Victor heads.
I actually really like the Victor heads if your going to port them, but you can't just throw them on. They need pushrod clearancing, a valve job, chamber cut. The Indy's only need a valve job.
I hear you guys about Indy...they are not my favorite company to deal with!! I'm hoping the Trick Flow head will be ready to view this year....

As for dyno info...comparing the 2 heads on a large engine if you go with a MW port you'll make much more top end power without sacrificing much low speed TQ. That's why I recommend the EZ's because of their potential, cost, and ease of assembly.

I'm not a Indy Company fan.
That being said I do run a set of SR heads.
Best so far is 9.29 et.
4.15 stroke 400 based engine.
Do the math in a 2740 lb car must be over 750 crank hp.
Not bad for a stock replacement head.
Unknown-4.jpg

Indy's just work.

This might help.
I will give % of differant heads I have on cars I have now running.

The % will be against the SR heads at.625 lift
These heads were ported to 750 lift by Comp-U-Flow.

Well ported 452 with 2.14 int and 1.88 ex.
Int 72% Ex 73%
These are on the 74 Duster low comp engine.Runs 12.20's

Ported Eldelbrocks
Int 90% Ex 93%
These are on a well built 440 and ran a 10.71 et.

Stage 6
Clean up only
Int 79.5% Ex 92%
I put these on the 74 Duster from above and no other changes and went 11.70's
These heads are defanately working better than the 452's.

Pick the head that you are going use on this build.
A lot of people buy parts thinking about there next build,buy for this build.
I don't know if any of this is worth anything or not,but I put it out there for you to think about.
All the flow bench work was done on the same machine.

In addition to the initial cost, if you are willing to spend about $2000 on them, you can get the 440 Source Stealth heads to flow 335cfm at .700" with the standard stock gasket intake port window or 345 cfm @ .700" with a raised port window. These are not the Super Stealth with the offset rockers, but the standard Stealth heads.

I was curious to see if you put on the 1050 and raised the compression and how much did your time change if any..
What compression did you have at the time?
I have a 496 with 10.1 and a 1050 and indy sr heads

-
Back