5.2/5.9 Magnum Engine Swapped S10

-

NightRunner

Magnum Swapped S10
Reaction score
Okay, so I had this crazy idea and I wanted to talk to some Mopar guys about it. You'll either hate me or love me by the end of this post.

I'm a GM guy, always have been. So when I got my S10, the first thing I wanted to do was swap it. Obviously the SBC and LS would be an obvious choice, but I found a different route to take.

The Dodge 5.2/5.9 Magnum. This engine can be found both easier and cheaper than SBC/LS engines in junkyards near me. So, I've been planning a Magnum swapped S10. The V8 S10 guys love the idea, and some have shared stories of seeing SBC swapped Dakotas.

My plan is the following:

The S10 SBC swap uses a motor mount that moves the SBC forward a bit in the engine bay for clearance. It mounts to a 2.8L frame mount, which uses the traditional design SBC mounts (triangle pattern). Both the SBC and the Magnum engine have a triangular shaped mounting point on both sides of them, and it almost looks like I could use a standard Short-Wide SBC motor mount on the side of the Magnum engine. The SBC mount is located underneath the #1 and #3 cylinder head exhaust, whereas the Magnum's mount is located under the #3 and #5 cylinder head exhaust. Since the Magnum's mounts are already further back than the SBC, I believe that using a flipped Short-Wide mount on it would not only locate it where the SBC would sit but would allow it to mount up to the 2.8L frame mount. Thus, allowing me to physically place the Magnum into the engine bay.

Another note is the angle of which the cylinder head exhaust flange is. The Magnum's exhaust flange sits more straight up-down than the slightly tilted SBC's. This is important, as the SBC swap headers (at least the shorty headers) traditionally go around the steering shaft in order to fit. But, I believe that by using a set of shorty Ram 1500 heads I may be able to clear the steering shaft altogether with the angle of the cylinder head exhausts. If that's not the case, I may be able to use a set of S10 SBC headers welded onto Magnum exhaust flanges. I know a guy that can do it too.

Not only that, I already have a 350 TBI system so making it work on the 5.9 is possible using a carb'd intake & a carb-to-TBI adapter (the TBI PCM uses an EEPROM chip setup, which can either have custom chips burned or EBL/Live Tuning). There's a guy on YouTube who's done a setup similar to this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBf1UWzEevc) using an older 70's reluctor type distributor on the Magnum to talk to the Ignition Coil Module and the GM PCM. If I did pick up a 5.2L however, I believe I could use the 5.0L 305 TBI injectors in the 350 body. Both setups would be 0.2L of displacement within each other, and luckily GM TBI's have these kits that slightly increase the fuel pressure to accommodate for changes such as a cam or larger displacement. See where I'm going with this?

ATI also makes an adapter plate for a 5.9 Magnum to GM transmission. So, using the GM transmission with my GM TBI system on the Magnum seems like it would be perfect. Assuming I use a 700R4/4L60E, depending on where the motor would be located in the engine bay compared to the SBC (which I'm almost certain would be almost in the same spot if I used stock flipped SBC plates, as the S10 swap plates push the SBC forward) I would be able to use my stock driveshaft.

But, this doesn't have to be the case. You see, my S10 came with the 4L60E which is the same as a 700R4 length wise. The best transmission that matches these dimensions? The 904 (30RH/32RH), which can also be found super cheap in junkyards as well. The difference in length is that the 904 transmission is 1.5" longer than a 700R4/4L60E. I believe that the difference in length could easily be accounted for using my stock driveshaft, but if not it's also possible to have it shortened as well.

Am I crazy, or does this seem like it might be a viable option for a relatively stock V8 swap here? The V8 S10 guys absolutely love this idea, and the Mopar facebook groups have also been buzzing about it as well. I've also attached a picture of some of my ideas as well. Let me know what you guys think!

MagnumSwap.jpg
MotorMounts.png

Last edited:
Welcome to FABO. WHy reinvent the wheel. A small block Chevy and 200-4R would fit nicely and it has been done before so parts and kits are available.

Welcome to FABO. WHy reinvent the wheel. A small block Chevy and 200-4R would fit nicely and it has been done before so parts and kits are available.

Correct, it has been done before. But the price between SBC/LS engines and Magnum engines is such a difference that I believe the Magnum swap would be the most fun and possibly cost effective setup.

Even trying to find a replacement 4.3L CPI engine is challenging, as from what I've read only 25% of S10/Sonoma/Blazer/Jimmy trucks got this engine. Because of this, swapping the harness and wiring for TBI would prove to be costly. If I could find a 350 TBI to drop in it along with a 200-4R/700R4, I would. But seems like they're worth their weight in gold here, and that leaves the Magnum as a super cheap alternative.

Plus, I genuinely love the sound of a Magnum engine lol. Nothing wrong with "reinventing" the wheel when it comes to a project, especially for the wow factor of, "Hey, that's a Dodge engine in that GM!"

Correct, it has been done before. But the price between SBC/LS engines and Magnum engines is such a difference that I believe the Magnum swap would be the most fun and possibly cost effective setup.

Even trying to find a replacement 4.3L CPI engine is challenging, as from what I've read only 25% of S10/Sonoma/Blazer/Jimmy trucks got this engine. Because of this, swapping the harness and wiring for TBI would prove to be costly. If I could find a 350 TBI to drop in it along with a 200-4R/700R4, I would. But seems like they're worth their weight in gold here, and that leaves the Magnum as a super cheap alternative.

Plus, I genuinely love the sound of a Magnum engine lol
Well each to his own. That's hot rodding!

Now if you were going to put a Gen2 or 3 hemi in it then were talking some serious motivation. Good luck with the install and when you're done hope it is all good and works out as easy as it does on paper.

I know nothing about the swap potential of S-10's. but you might ask yourself "if the cost" of a Magnum --which you claim is lower-- will offset the cost of all the custom stuff you'll have to do to get it into the body. "I don't know."

On a completely "off" subject, a then friend, back in the 80's, swapped a 350 Olds or Buick, I've forgotten, into a Mazda rotory engine pickup body. The Mazda 4 whangers were basically a Ford Courier, but the rotory pickups had a wider frame

You work too hard. Cut a hole in the bed and mount it between the frame rails back there. Hook the trans yoke straight to the pinion yoke. Gtg.

Well each to his own. That's hot rodding!
And this is what I love seeing.

@NightRunner , I’m not sure I can be of any help here with the swap but I am looking forward to this thread and your journey on this. I would love to see this come to a fruitful end!

The Magnum engine is much like the Vortec engine in the evolution of engines. Your limited on heads and intakes. Swapping to an earlier LA head and intake will require that you use what your already used to with the Chevy, pushrod oiling. Just make sure the LA rockers are capable of oiling via the pushrod. Headers will be interesting.

Do! So include lots of picture if you please!

@NightRunner , I’m not sure I can be of any help here with the swap but I am looking forward to this thread and your journey on this. I would love to see this come to a fruitful end!

I actually posted a question in another section, I'm not sure if you'd know this off the top of your head but I'm trying to find the dimensions for the 5.2/5.9 mount seen below. I'd like to compare both the triangular and rectangular mount locations (seen on the Orange block in the picture) to the SBC/LS style mount dimensions.
MotorMounts.png

I JUST! Crossed that thread. I can not answer it, sorry. I actually never had a “Magnum” engine mount. I’m sure it’ll be answered by a member.

Somehow I like this better than the "put an LS in anything/everything" bullshit bout time someone does engine swap>into different brand body the RIGHT way

Okay, so I had this crazy idea and I wanted to talk to some Mopar guys about it. You'll either hate me or love me by the end of this post.

I'm a GM guy, always have been. So when I got my S10, the first thing I wanted to do was swap it. Obviously the SBC and LS would be an obvious choice, but I found a different route to take.

The Dodge 5.2/5.9 Magnum. This engine can be found both easier and cheaper than SBC/LS engines in junkyards near me. So, I've been planning a Magnum swapped S10. The V8 S10 guys love the idea, and some have shared stories of seeing SBC swapped Dakotas.

My plan is the following:

The S10 SBC swap uses a motor mount that moves the SBC forward a bit in the engine bay for clearance. It mounts to a 2.8L frame mount, which uses the traditional design SBC mounts (triangle pattern). Both the SBC and the Magnum engine have a triangular shaped mounting point on both sides of them, and it almost looks like I could use a standard Short-Wide SBC motor mount on the side of the Magnum engine. The SBC mount is located underneath the #1 and #3 cylinder head exhaust, whereas the Magnum's mount is located under the #3 and #5 cylinder head exhaust. Since the Magnum's mounts are already further back than the SBC, I believe that using a flipped Short-Wide mount on it would not only locate it where the SBC would sit but would allow it to mount up to the 2.8L frame mount. Thus, allowing me to physically place the Magnum into the engine bay.

Another note is the angle of which the cylinder head exhaust flange is. The Magnum's exhaust flange sits more straight up-down than the slightly tilted SBC's. This is important, as the SBC swap headers (at least the shorty headers) traditionally go around the steering shaft in order to fit. But, I believe that by using a set of shorty Ram 1500 heads I may be able to clear the steering shaft altogether with the angle of the cylinder head exhausts. If that's not the case, I may be able to use a set of S10 SBC headers welded onto Magnum exhaust flanges. I know a guy that can do it too.

Not only that, I already have a 350 TBI system so making it work on the 5.9 is possible using a carb'd intake & a carb-to-TBI adapter (the TBI PCM uses an EEPROM chip setup, which can either have custom chips burned or EBL/Live Tuning). There's a guy on YouTube who's done a setup similar to this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBf1UWzEevc) using an older 70's reluctor type distributor on the Magnum to talk to the Ignition Coil Module and the GM PCM. If I did pick up a 5.2L however, I believe I could use the 5.0L 305 TBI injectors in the 350 body. Both setups would be 0.2L of displacement within each other, and luckily GM TBI's have these kits that slightly increase the fuel pressure to accommodate for changes such as a cam or larger displacement. See where I'm going with this?

ATI also makes an adapter plate for a 5.9 Magnum to GM transmission. So, using the GM transmission with my GM TBI system on the Magnum seems like it would be perfect. Assuming I use a 700R4/4L60E, depending on where the motor would be located in the engine bay compared to the SBC (which I'm almost certain would be almost in the same spot if I used stock flipped SBC plates, as the S10 swap plates push the SBC forward) I would be able to use my stock driveshaft.

But, this doesn't have to be the case. You see, my S10 came with the 4L60E which is the same as a 700R4 length wise. The best transmission that matches these dimensions? The 904 (30RH/32RH), which can also be found super cheap in junkyards as well. The difference in length is that the 904 transmission is 1.5" longer than a 700R4/4L60E. I believe that the difference in length could easily be accounted for using my stock driveshaft, but if not it's also possible to have it shortened as well.

Am I crazy, or does this seem like it might be a viable option for a relatively stock V8 swap here? The V8 S10 guys absolutely love this idea, and the Mopar facebook groups have also been buzzing about it as well. I've also attached a picture of some of my ideas as well. Let me know what you guys think!

View attachment 1715840202 View attachment 1715840207

Give it a try, that's what hotrodding is all about. Sounds like a fun project.

I'm convinced that this method of thinking is why both SBC's and LS engines are getting harder to find in local junkyards, whereas the Magnum engines are almost untouched lol
I'm so freaking tired of hearing anything about SBC and/or LS in general. And the cheapness of those vs anything else. I've driven Chrysler products all my life, my projects are Chrysler products but nobody wants to talk to you about anything but Chevy this, Chevy that. There's a longstanding thread on another forum about a LS in a late 90s Dakota, I had to tell him what a dumbass he was and I got slammed by about everyone on said forum. A Mopar based forum no less. I don't mind "GM" so much as long as it has nothing to do with the Chevy division.
I've thought about putting a 318 into something GM or Ford just to say "fark you" to all of those clowns.

But mostly i say to adapt a long standing GM slogan that used to appear on every GM air cleaner housing from at least the 70s to the later 80s maybe longer .. you all know the one "keep your GM vehicle ALL GM"
That applies to Mopar, (keep your Mopar, ALL Mopar) and keep your Ford all Ford . I remember my brother having a 69 F250 with a 390 in it, then another 390, then yet another... He always said he should have stuffed a 318 in that Ford from day 1.
On his next truck he put a 351c in place of a 300 inline 6. Something many said couldn't be done since ford never put a Cleveland into a pickup truck from the factory.
Then he put another Cleveland into a CJ5.
At least he didn't put anything Chevy in there

Just a thought...but if you are taking a 5.9 out of a Ram...why not take the harness, ecm and dash cluster? Put the whole thing transmission and all in it. Fuel injected...overdrive...air conditioning...sounds like a win to me!!!

Just a thought...but if you are taking a 5.9 out of a Ram...why not take the harness, ecm and dash cluster? Put the whole thing transmission and all in it. Fuel injected...overdrive...air conditioning...sounds like a win to me!!!

If I can find a complete powertrain with the harness, ECM and dash cluster in a junkyard, I'm taking it lol

If not, I'll try to piece together what I can

Probably was talked (shamed) out of such a move.

If I had the money I woukd love to put my 360 magnum in a S10. You can pretty much get anything you want for a S10. But you can hardly find anything for a first gen Dakota. I am talking about aftermarket suspension parts, breaks etc. Headers etc. I was hoping to see the op post picks of his S10 done.

-
Back