5.7 hemi into an A-body?

-
It takes a three jaw puller to get the balancer off. A strong but small one. Most modern engines have this style, it is one less process to put a piece thru if you don't drill the holes. There are indents for the puller legs on the inner hub. And yes that motor took on some water. Check the block real good, you will see where the part of the rod that stayed with the piston hit the block right below the cylinder. The crankshaft shoved it over there. My motors all showed the marks. Three knocked holes in the block, two did not.

Thanks guys. yes, i see the indentions on the back side of the pulley. I thought that area looked like something could "grab" there. The remover i have is for an older engine, so ill have to go see if i can rent one somewhere.
So far that little scratch is below the area the piston comes down to. That said, without getting it all cleaned up and checked out by a shop for other damage i cant get my hopes up too much. If it does turn out well, it will save me a few thousand bucks.

For those of you guys who've taken off a 5.7 hemi head, were your piston tops concave or convex? the tops on this 04 ram hemi have a slight rise to them, but looking in magazines of other hemis they look like they are concave or pushed in. Just curious if they look different or are actually different. Thanks

Dodgenut, I believe the 5.7's are all +9cc or something like that, a real small dome.

Dartdoc, that's one neat looking build. Just beware the stock reluctor wheel (timing pickup) on the crank. The factory 5.7L one is junk and will frag if you run high RPMs.

I've got my 1970 Duster getting a 3G Hemi as well, it will be 397ci (4.055 X 3.82) with a Callies/Compstar crank, HRC billet rods and Ross pistons at 9.0:1 compression for a turbo setup. I'm going either BS3 or Fast XFI for a stand alone and I plan on getting a beefy GM 4L80E built to handle the power.

I understand the "cool factor" of putting a 5.7L in an A-body....but otherwise it doesn't seem time or cost effective. LAs are easy to build, and don't require all that modification. Maybe I'm missing something......

I'm not trying to justify doing this swap, it will just be cool as hell. I already have a Dart Sport with a 360. It runs 12.70's all day, and I could drive it to the track. Sometimes in the midlife a fellow just needs a good challenge.
As for the piston design, they are all slight dome pistons.

Its more than the cool factor for me. The 3G Hemi is the way of the future for Mopar just like the LSX's were for the SBC... they'll get cheaper to work on with time. You can get a solid 440hp 6.1L crate engine (rated at 425hp but they make more) for $6k already, that's not too bad.

Trying to rig up an LA/Magnum with a full standalone EFI that I need for my turbo setup wouldn't be much cheaper. Plus the factory 6.1 cylinder heads blow pretty much any other smallblock head out of the water, they'll flow 370cfm at 0.600" with a decent CNC port. I can't wait to see how good the aftermarket heads will be. And the whole engine is really light for its size compared to other iron blocks with a really lightweight valvetrain too.

I got my damper pulley off, now i can work on getting that crank out. Ive decided if itll fit, id like to use the truck intake and pulley setup. At first i didnt like the look of the truck intake, but its growing on me.

dartdoc said:
Anyone else out there putting a 5.7 in? I would surely like to trade ideas and thoughts before making costly mistakes. Mine is carburated, for now. It is easier and better for bracket racing. MSD is making a stand alone ignition system right now, my motor is their mock-up for the dyno.
My current parts and plans:
Mopar Performance carburated intake
750 Holley DP
MSD Ignition (proto-type)
5.7 Hemi (from a 06 Magnum)
TCI street fighter converter
6.1 camshaft and Valve springs.
all non-MDS lifters.
8 3/4 3.55 gears posi.
aluminum radiator
electric fan (2004 Jeep Liberty)
exhaust manifolds (06 Grand Cherokee)
TTI conversion motor mount brackets
timing cover from a 05 Ram pickup
water pump from a 05 Ram pickup
Hemi flex plate (with ring gear cut off)
Mallory Fuel system
oil filter block off plate and relocated oil filter
anyone else doing anything different?
Sounds like you have most of what you will need I also am using 05 truck hemi I bought mine from recycle yard in mich 2000.00 complete assembley with wire harness and 10,000 miles like new :headbang: . I bought 06 cherokee manifolds and am using throttle by wire system with help from street and performance on a pcm, 500.00. Check out my project if you like it will be a couple of years before it is done but 75% of it will be done by this spring lime green. I have some of pics in my garage. If you would like more pics e-mail me with your address and I will send more. JRAT good luck!

Wasn't quite sure I liked the sub-lime Hemi at first, but the more I looked the more I liked. Sure wish I had a stand for my car like that on. Sure would make it easier to do some of the repairs. Thanks for the post. Let's keep the Hemi alive.

Just pulled my 6.1 today to get it ready for a ride in my 68 Dart.... this ought to be fun.

hemi2.jpg

I'm really glad you guys are working with these engines, I believe that as soon as the aftermarket catches up with these engines, they will surpass the LA and BB motors as far as HP/ci. My buddy has a mildly modified Hemi in his Ram that pulls his 5000lb Ram to 13.60's in the 1/4 mile. I think its just a matter of time before someone builds a 600HP 5.7L Hemi. I might even reconsider the Hemi if an aftermarket ignition system makes it to the market at a reasonable price.

I want to see a twin turbo 6.1 hemi. If they can get LS series motors with twin turbos up into the 1000hp range, i dont see why the new hemi couldnt get that.
As far as these engine becoming the new swap of choice, they will within the next 10 years become lots more common with rodders. I think getting the factory computer with one of these pulled engines would help save some money in this swap, and even though its time consuming, a person could sort out the wires for these engines and such. with that, all youd need is a gas tank with the pump inside, that is, if you wanted to go EFI. Otherwise maybe in time we'll see a cheaper carberated set up..
Speaking of gas tanks and EFI stuff, what does "returnless" mean? I thought with fuel injection you needed a return line for gas that wasnt used, ive read returnless somewhere when refering to a certain EFI system. Im new to alot of stuff, old and new and need help sometimes understanding.

Returnless is actually a return system, the pump is in the tank, the regulator is in the tank also, it dumps excess fuel back into the tank instead of going all the way to the engine, then back to the tank. All the Dodge trucks with EFI have been using this system since 1992.

Dodgenut64 said:
I want to see a twin turbo 6.1 hemi. If they can get LS series motors with twin turbos up into the 1000hp range, i dont see why the new hemi couldnt get that.
As far as these engine becoming the new swap of choice, they will within the next 10 years become lots more common with rodders. I think getting the factory computer with one of these pulled engines would help save some money in this swap, and even though its time consuming, a person could sort out the wires for these engines and such. with that, all youd need is a gas tank with the pump inside, that is, if you wanted to go EFI. Otherwise maybe in time we'll see a cheaper carberated set up..
Speaking of gas tanks and EFI stuff, what does "returnless" mean? I thought with fuel injection you needed a return line for gas that wasnt used, ive read returnless somewhere when refering to a certain EFI system. Im new to alot of stuff, old and new and need help sometimes understanding.
Corvette uses a fuel filter that has regulator in filter with return line back to tank you just need a pump that pushs over 50psi and 2 quarts a min, average pump on any newer car past year 2000. I am going to modify my orignal tank.

Dodgenut64 said:

The factory computer is definatley a cheaper route but it is worthless as far as tuning goes and has a ton of active torque management built in. If I was stuck with the factory PCM I wouldn't even bother building a 3G Hemi, its that bad :(

I'm building my 6.4L to handle 1000+hp, Sharadon wants to use the new Callies stroker crank with Manley billet rods. With twin 64mm turbo's it should be pretty easy to get it in that range. I plan to run closer to 600-700 on the street and use an electronic boost controller to up the power for the track.

I was looking at some of the forged stuff for the 5.7 and 6.1. XV motor sports is the only place i found selling pistons and rods, but they want $1500 for rods and $900 for pistons. ive seen forged cranks go for $480 but they need to be balanced. Id love to have all forged parts, but wow. i didnt think the rods would be so much. Does this sound right for forged parts?
Id love to have something like the Fast system for this hemi, but i would really be getting into some big bucks.

ive heard that theres a factory governer on the 5.7 that can be removed putting it well into the 400 hp range is the 6.1 a stroked version of the 5.7? ive heard it mentioned but im not sure about the specifics

Any pictures of the notched K-member to clear the LX pan? Sounds like a money saver.

m-wellbaum said:
ive heard that theres a factory governer on the 5.7 that can be removed putting it well into the 400 hp range is the 6.1 a stroked version of the 5.7? ive heard it mentioned but im not sure about the specifics
The 5.7 and 6.1 have the same stroke the 6.1 has a larger bore. The 6.1 also has a forged crank ( 5.7 isn't), I'm not sure if there is any bearing differances... other than I know the 6.1 uses tri-metal bearings. The 6.1's have oil squirters that shoot oil onto the bottoms of the pistons to help keep the cooler. The conectiog rods on the 6.1 are made of a special "powder metal", they are suposted to be stronger. I don't know if they are the same length and bearing size as the 5.7 or not. I know the 6.1 block more renforcment than the 5.7.
Hopefully i'll be able to let everyone know if a 6.1 throttle body will bolt on and plug in to a 5.7, I bought one and am waiting for it to come in. I think the plug in is a little differant but can be modified to work with the stock 5.7 harness....We'll see. After that I'll be upgrading to the 6.1 injecters ( plug'n play), they wont help much on the power side, but for what I'm planing they'll be needed in the future.

Dodgenut64 said:
I was looking at some of the forged stuff for the 5.7 and 6.1. XV motor sports is the only place i found selling pistons and rods, but they want $1500 for rods and $900 for pistons. ive seen forged cranks go for $480 but they need to be balanced. Id love to have all forged parts, but wow. i didnt think the rods would be so much. Does this sound right for forged parts?
Id love to have something like the Fast system for this hemi, but i would really be getting into some big bucks.

We at Frank Racing Inc. in Houston will be releasing 3 rotating assemb. by the end of the summer.

Econo - cast crank, forged rods, forged piston (big bore) 4.00"

Street - forged crank, forged rods, forged pistons (big bore)

Street Extreme - forged / offset crank / 1.88 journals, forged rods, forged pistons (big bore / stroker)

The two versions are 360 cubic inch and 370 cubic inch

Prices have yet to be finalized but I expect something like $1400 for the Econo and $2200 for the Extreme.................they will come with crank, rods, pistons, pins, rings, and bearings fully balanced.

Options will be coatings, polished rods, chamfering.......etc.

Soon after, we will release short and long blocks..................all 5.7 based equipment.

I read earlier where some are considering using the truck intake...............I highly suggest ditching the truck intake and going with the 6.1 (if you are using the truck frt timing cover).

We port the 5.7 head and change its runner window....................we epoxy and reshape the 6.1 port to match the heads......................this combo flows 340-345 cfm @ .600 w/ 28"

The 6.1 cam is better than the 5.7 but leaves ALOT to be desired.............we have several PROVEN cams for the trucks, cars, and swaps...............

ie...................we have a cam/head combo in a LX car (Magnum) that retains its MDS and idles like stock run a 12.8 in Englishtown, NJ

We also have a customer in NorCal thats running a 414ci SRT8 with a 100 shot run 11.6's..............

Please remember these are 4300 - 4500 pound cars with 18% loss drive trains and 18" - 20" wheels.......................no tuning, no adjustable suspensions, uni-body, no shift kits, CV axles, etc.

Hot Rod magazine recently done a new Hemi swap with 727 OD tranny in a '70 Duster Check the May or June issue.

-
Back