Which engine for a 70 Dart

• Built 340 with reverse manual valvebody and 3000 stall

Votes: 119 63.6%
  • 5.7L Hemi

Votes: 68 36.4%

• Total voters
-
340 FTW! Lol.

What ever makes your putter flutter, dood. If you have the cash to do a hemi and want it bad enough, do it.

Hemi - but use the entire AWD system. That would seriously kick *** in the cool dept.

Perhaps I was out of line by saying that, my apologies.

but I do think there would be about 5-6K left over doing the 340 route that the hemi project would consume.

It's all good. I do agree it the cash dept. the 340 is cheaper, but eventually is going to be next to impossible to get parts for.

never mind that- use the AWD setup in your Dart- then you've really got something.

I'll let you do the fabrication and engineering, I'm just the idea man:iconbigg:
Stop.... I am not going to do it. :protest:
LOL

Do not wuss out. Bow to peer pressure, the crowds have spoken. Seriously, what is the point if you can't smoke all 4?

I vote 340 :)

Hes already got the 340 for sale, looks like his mind is made up not to drive this thing for years.... could be cruising in a weekend with that 340......I don't get the logic in this case... already HAS a stout fresh 340 and trans, sell it to finance a 5.7....SMH

It's one of those if I sell it for what I am asking, I will use the money to get the parts for the Hemi swap. If I don't, I may use it. I am going to check the Hemi tomorrow to make sure it runs good as it has been sitting for three years in the car.

In actuality, I am kinda hoping the Hemi deal won't work out so I can just put the 340 in and be done with it.

Then just put the 340 in and be done with it!

Nothing wrong with a 340. And a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

About halfway through the Hemi conversion you're going to be realizing that instead of another late night working on it, you could have been driving it!

i am a hemi fan and would vote for the hemi all the way but if you have a built 340 than 340 all the way

As of now, the 340 is winning 52 to 39 on the poll. I could probably change it over to a Hemi in 5-10 years if I wanted for a cheaper price then.

Well, I am now the official owner of both the 340 and a 2006 5.7L Hemi with 60k miles.

Perhaps I was out of line by saying that, my apologies.

but I do think there would be about 5-6K left over doing the 340 route that the hemi project would consume.

I don't think you were out of line, I think you hit the nail right on the head...its easy to spend other people's money...very different when it is your own. With that said, I would go with the 340. It will drop right in, you could have it running in weeks as apposed to possibly years...no brainer in my book...not to mention the money saved could be spent on making that 340 FAST :D.

...... the 340 is cheaper, but eventually is going to be next to impossible to get parts for.

:bs:

Really???? Maybe when we all have flying cars and live on the Mars....It's not like all the aftermarket parts and junk yards will suddenly cease to exist. Small block LA stuff is easy to find.

340! Alot harder to find than a new hemi

But there's 340 Darts all over the place, when have you seen one with a new hemi? More efficeint, no cold start issues, a definite cool factor.

Yes it's a pain in the *** to do the install and no doubt expensive but that's what we do in this hobby :sign3:

But there's 340 Darts all over the place, when have you seen one with a new hemi? More efficeint, no cold start issues, a definite cool factor.

Yes it's a pain in the *** to do the install and no doubt expensive but that's what we do in this hobby :sign3:

I am thinking the same thing. ...Dodge Dart SRT

:bs:

Really???? Maybe when we all have flying cars and live on the Mars....It's not like all the aftermarket parts and junk yards will suddenly cease to exist. Small block LA stuff is easy to find.

Perhaps in your neck of the woods. Everyone out here seems to think ford and Chevy are the **** of the walk In the 4 corners...

That's hilarious, there is probally MORE LA engine parts avalible now than ever before, it wont be an issue getting 340 parts in our lifetime.. And, there are not 340 Darts "everywhere" but theres a ton of 5.7 hemi swaps sitting around on jackstands, out in internet land.. If I want a new car ride, I get in my new stuff....If I want to drive something cool, I get in some of my old iron.

I am thinking the same thing. ...Dodge Dart SRT

Dart SRT would be very cool. Not everyone is into the pro touring type build but I sure am. Old school style with modern efficency and driveability, best of both worlds. I don't have anything against bone stock builds either but I crossed over to the dark side of restomods a long time back. :eek:ops:

drive it with the 340 while you get the 5.7 + trans ready to swap in.

read the other threads, you will need to do some work. it will take time + cash. so drive the 340 and enjoy the car while you prep the hemi.
see this thread, very detailed:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=218445

I agree with this statement when I get my dart shipped to me im going to throw in another / and drive it and collect parts for the v8 swap!!! :burnout:

-
Back