5.7 HEMI Vs. 408 Stroker

-

69wacuda

Handling, and a 500ci engine.... All in good time!
Reaction score
I Need some help decideding if i should stroke out my 360 or look for a late model HEMI to put into my 69 barracuda. Also is it possible to put a six pack on a 408? .....HELP!

CHEERS,
Grant

You can put a six pack on a stroker just like you could put one on any small block.

if you do the hemi you have to remember all the other things that go along with it like, tranny,motor mounts,different K frame ect. ect.

A 408 stroker will be cheaper to build and will have monster torque, but a new Hemi will last longer and be better on gas overall. You also won't have to modify the rest of the car as much to handle the power of a new Hemi because they're pretty balanced. It's still a big project though and in the end IMO a 408 swap will be easier to achieve.

With the 408 it still looks like a 360.You can shock some Chebby guys!And maintain stock appearance.

you have to decide what you want from the car first.

Joe is spot on with his reply.

What do you really want from this build? If you went with the hemi, do plan on going with a carb or keeping the injection?

Maybe i should tell you what i plan to do with my 69 barracuda. My philosophy is that if you put all that work on your car you should be able to drive it! I live in the columbia basin, washington, it doesn't rain very much and the sun is out on average 330 days a year. This car is going to be my daily driver depending on the weather. I want the car to handle well and be comfortable, but be able to play a little harder on the weekends! I have a rebuilt 360 with less than 1000 miles on it. Also a difference in fuel milage would be important. If anyone has done a 408 stroker, late model HEMI, or a six pack SB set up in an A-body your insight and experience would be greatly apreciated. I am brand new to this so if it sounds like it you know why....lol

For a car that is going to be a daily driver primarily, the late Hemi with FI is the way to go.

Pros: Smallest displacement
Most efficient combustion
Engine controls that keep spark & fuel at optimum levels.
Replacement parts stocked at dealer.

Cons: Mounting engine and exhaust plumbing
Adapting engine controls to fit in a non-LX environment.
Less selection of aftermarket accessories.
Won't sound as cool (lot less induction roar).
More work since you already have an LA engine in the car.

I try not to get ahead of myself, but in the years following me finishing up my fish Id love to drop a new fi hemi into an A.

have to say this cause it irritates the hell outta me. the 3g hemi is NOT a hemi. k, anyways..
the 408 wins. put a EFI system on it and call it DONE.

have to say this cause it irritates the hell outta me. the 3g hemi is NOT a hemi. k, anyways..
the 408 wins. put a EFI system on it and call it DONE.

It's a hell of a lot more of a Hemi than anything made by GM or Ford. The chamber is a Hemi but with an extra spark plug and some quench area added in for better low-RPM combustion. Plus, it has double rocker shafts, which no other company ever used in a V-8. It all boils down to how strictly you define a Hemi chamber.

Very nice Robert! Great pics and info, thanks!

If you want to just cruise around and are willing to put all the effort into installing a "new" hemi go that route..if you want to go to the track and kick butt put a stroker in it...as for the hemi they stop making "real" ones in '71...

Id say stroker 6 pack, im pretty sure i remember hearing that thing would whoop stock hemis butts at the track, that is if you want to race but if you want to be unique, ether one would do, you choice but id say stroker 6 pack.

wacuda
i recently scored a 5.7 hemi and going to put it into my 70dart. i am looking at about 5g to switch it over to carb there is a kit out there and a keisler 5 spd od manual.

i spoke to a guy who has a 5.7 injected hemi in a 68 notchback cuda he stayed fuel injected but still has the keisler 5 spd manual conversion says hes averaging 22mpg with 3.91 rear gears.

as far as what you should do? thats entirely up to you its your wallet hold on to it.

either way good luck and if you decide to go 5.7 hemi i can pm you some links to parts ive found if you want to see some of the stuff im talking about.

duke

A conservative 408 can get over 17mpg in an A body with a carb and 3sp. An EFi version would go past 20 easy, again, 3.23s and 3sp auto. Add an OD stick, and it goes better. I dont think 22-23mpg on low octane unleaded is easy doable. If you were going with AlterKation of suspension to make it handle well, then I'd go new Hemi. Otherwise, go 4" stroke. My .02...

I would love to check out some links to anything they have or find! Post them or PM me. I appreciate everyones input eventhough it seems to be a dead heat between the two, but the info is good to have.

Another vote for a fuel-injected 408 - best of both worlds and far less installation headache. The only 'hassle' is to sort out the engine management system.

The Edelbrock system is pricey but complete and IMO will still put you ahead of the 3G hemi money wise considering the inevitable trans swap, engine mounting, etc.

Check it out here. I'd run this system in a heartbeat if I had a vehicle for it.

Why not stroke a new Hemi? There are all sorts of stroker kits out there for the new hemi now. The more popular stroker kits give you 392 cid or 426 cid of displacement.

The one question no one has asked is why not stick with the 360? The 360 is a great motor in an A-body very easy to get over 400HP and 400 ft-lbs of torque, they will get decent gas mileage if set up correctly and can push you car into the 12's with little effort.

If I were you and was looking to make a hot daily driver I would stick with your low mileage 360 and put some sort of OD tranny behind it.

Oh Yea, I am you!! Already did that :)

I have a 360 that is making ~370 HP gets 17-18 mpg in daily driving and 21-22 on the hiway. I have run a very very traction limited best of 13.7 in the 1/4 with an A833OD 4spd and 3.55 gears. Its in a 68 Barracuda and the car has been my daily driver from April to November since 2000 and has had the 360 in it since 2005 (23k miles so far).

The 408 would be nice but I don't know if the fun factor would go up enough to warrant the hit in gas mileage.

-
Back