5.7L hemi Duster/resto.

-
close up

Attachments

• oilpn11.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 565
Its tig welded. I found that my tig will only do steel.
So I had my brother take it to work and tig weld it for me.

I am hoping that he gets it all finished by next weekend so I can start mocking up the engine in the car. Im going to start on the engine mounts tomorrow.

I ran into one issue at the tail of the quarter panel were it meets the trunk on the drivers side. As you will see the quarter panel stuck up about 1/4 inch above the trunk.

As pictured I cut a slither out of the quarter and worked it down were it needed to be.

Attachments

• tail.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 531
  • tail1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 516
This is the first real work I have done with my tig welder and really need smaller tig rod.

Never the less I got it done.

Attachments

• tail6.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 536
  • tail5.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 516
  • tail4.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 510
  • tail3.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 503
  • tail2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 537
As you can see the quarter panel and the trunk now match up much better.

Here are a few pics of the el cheapo 3 in 1 plasma cutter/tig welder/arc welder.

It actually has worked good........so far

Attachments

• tig.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 516
  • tig1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 515
Sag,

Couple of questions about your TIG welder.

Does it have an AC setting for Aluminum? I am assuming since you didn't weld your pan yourself you either don't have the right gas or the welder doesn't do AC.

How much did you pay for it? (If you don't mind me asking.) I like the idea of being able to do TIG, Plasma Cutting, and have the option of ARC.

Would you buy it again? Why/Why not?

Thanks,

Regards,

Joe Dokes

No it doesn't have the AC setting for aluminum. I found out the hard way when I tried to use it on aluminum. I emailed the seller and have not heard back weather or not anything can be done to make it able to tig aluminum...... All though they CLAIM you can arc weld aluminum using there aluminum arc rods.

I have not really used it enough to say anything about the durability of it. There are some parts that are cheap like the regulator for the air, but the whole unit was cheap compared to others so what can you expect.

As for the price I set my max bid on ebay at 500.00 and got it for 480.00. It cut the 1/4 inch aluminum for my oil pan nice (as long as I used a square tubing for a guided strait edge and kept the tip out of the metal)

The other option I considered was Eastwood. They sell a plasma cutter and a separate welder that tig welds and arc welds for about 1000.00.

I read a lot of reviews, some good some bad. over all it does what I need it to do and has worked good so far. I make sure to take frequent brakes to let the internals of the unit cool.

Be aware there reviews on amazon are not all honest. They send you extra consumables for a five star rating. I did not rate them on there.

I will say I have sent emails to the company and seller to ask if anything can be done to tig aluminum.......no reply. I will admit I have not tried to call them yet.

As for would I buy it again....If you don't plan to weld a lot of aluminum then yes.
It has done what I need it to do and as long as it last, then I'm happy with it. Customer service in my opinion is lacking though.

Sag,

Thanks for the reply. Welding Tips and Tricks has a bunch of reviews on cheap chinese welders you can check them out here:

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/chinese-tig-welder-review-video.html

Basically the reviews are all over the map. That being said, I bought a used Harbor Freight MIG welder (early model made in Italy) welds great, duty cycle is a bit low but will weld 1/4" no problem.

I think you're out of luck on TIG welding AL with your welder, but 500 dollars to be able to tig steel and having a Plasma cutter is a great deal.

Miller and Lincoln TIG welders run 2K. I'd love to own one, but, just can't justify the price.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

My friend has had good luck with his harbor freight welder.

Any how I worked most of the day on the tail end of my car doing body work around the tail lights, the drivers side door and getting the trunk jams right. They are just about ready for primer.

I would like to get the primer going on before winter.

Attachments

• tail8.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 475
  • tail7.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 498
got the oil pan back. looks good

I just need to build my sump then finish the front of the pan.:cheers:

Attachments

• op1.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 490
  • op2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 451
Yea it turned out good.

I modified the oil pick up tube to match the new oil pan. All I have left to do is make the stand and bend the tube down a bit so its not right on the bottom of the pan.

Attachments

• oil tube.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 425
  • pan.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 419
You should oil test it. Put the pan down on some paper or napkins. Fill with a few quarts and see if the welds are oil tight. When I bought a name brand aluminum pan it seeped oil like crazy from the welds.

Riddler

yea I will have to do that once the front is finished, although its tig welded inside and out so I wouldn't expect any leaks. But better safe then sorry so thanks for the heads up.

just curious Riddler were do they have your oil drain plug?
and is it easy to get to?

thanks in advance

Im finally pretty happy with my quarter panel to door area...after another couple hours of body work.

never the less i have some minimal toutch up work here and there and i may start putting the epoxy primer on the doors and deck lid and maybe the hood this week end weather and time permitting lol

Attachments

• c.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 417
  • c1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 422
some small progress. Got the lights pretty much done, just some minor finishing up to do. I started doing the smoothing out and fine toutch ups on the other quarter.

I used a drum sander on a drill to take off the filler that went into the light area.

Also I ordered black SPI epoxy primer, I figured the black should help to find the problem areas once primed.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 394
  • 3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 381
  • 2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 417
  • 1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 404
  • 5.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 389
  • 6.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 414
yea I will have to do that once the front is finished, although its tig welded inside and out so I wouldn't expect any leaks. But better safe then sorry so thanks for the heads up. just curious Riddler were do they have your oil drain plug? and is it easy to get to? thanks in advance

I'll take a look tomorrow and send you a few pics. I believe it is accessable but I didn't really look.

Riddler

Here's where the drain is on the Milodon pan. Bottom right corner on the back side.

DSC_0114.jpg

Riddler

I got my doors primed with the epoxy primer. It turned out good.
The fenders are out getting blasted should be done this week. So I will try to prime them this week end.

Attachments

• doors.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 294
  • door1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 273
  • door2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 298
Thanks

Here is some more progress pics. I got the fenders back from the blaster yesterday. I had some holes in the fenders were the trim went. I got rid of them by welding them shut and grinding them smooth.

I got the little grinder years ago and have used it a lot on this project. Its very fast and easy to focus on a particular area, perfect for body work.

Attachments

• f3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 249
  • f1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 255
  • f.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 244
After that I cleaned them up and sprayed the back of them with the epoxy primer.

Attachments

• f4.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 242
  • f5.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 236
  • f6.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 234
To night I went back over to prime the front of the fenders.
They turned out pretty good. I plan to get the hood and trunk lid in primer by the end of this week end.

Attachments

• f7.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 240
  • f8.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 244
  • f9.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 239
  • ff.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 230
-
Back