5.9 R/T Durango Could I use it?

-

JohnnyC

Reaction score
I have access to an 01 Durango R/T 5.9 Planning on robbing the complete serpentine set up and timing cover. Could I use the fuel injection set up or is it too much trouble ? Since I don't have a carb or fuel pump I'm on the fence wether I should go fuel injection or stick with the carb set up. If I should use it what should I take besides the intake?

If your gonna stick with the carb setup, the ONLY intake that works with the A/C serpentine setup is the Edelbrock. You'll have to 'clearance' the mount for use on the crosswind.

Adding an electric fuel pump is easy. I did it on my swap. I used an Edelbrock electric fuel pump. Very quite & very low vibration, it is sometimes hard to hear it even with the engine off. It is the lower pressure unit for a carb.

Easy install, pick up the fuel relay & wiring kit as well. I used the rear frame to mount it.

Intake is an Edelbrock RPM. You'll to plug on coolent hole under the serpentine bracket flush. With an Allen key plug.

I have access to an 01 Durango R/T 5.9 Planning on robbing the complete serpentine set up and timing cover. Could I use the fuel injection set up or is it too much trouble ? Since I don't have a carb or fuel pump I'm on the fence wether I should go fuel injection or stick with the carb set up. If I should use it what should I take besides the intake?

EFI is worth the money if you can swing it. I did a similar swap using a Hotwire Auto Hotrod harness and a SOLO Electronics of Florida's '98 ECM from a 5 speed pick-up. The ECM doesn't look fro inputs from the Trans and doesn't have the security key fob. I also purchased a set of custom tunes and the handheld SCT Tuner.

Initial cost would also have to include an upgraded fuel system. I used a 3/8" feed and return tank pick-up that feeds an external pusher pump leading to a surge tank in the engine compartment that contains the high pressure fuel pump.

The system is as plug and play as it gets. It only took 4 wires to hook up, tuning was a snap and the system is easily upgradable. I've used the same sytem with a basically stock 5.9 and on my current 500hp 408 stroker. My part of the upgraded retune consisted of pluging in the SCT Tuner to the OBD2 port and reading the sideband numbers to the tuner. A good tuner can dial the tune in in about 3 tries. Performance, drivability and fuel economy is awesome.

We do it all the time. Grab the whole engine with harness. the pcm will not work without a reflash and its much easier to just get a manual pcm for $50 than do a bench flash to remove trans. This is the tank set up to use, pump in tank, factory style regulated filter and run new steel 3/8 line to engine bay. Turn fuel rail around so inlet is on pass side. The other pic is our 65 more door we just finished up. Ignore ugly Durango air hat, its just keeping crap out while I build a cold air system.

tanks Inc FI.jpg

65 more door.jpg

-
Back