500+ci Builder

-
Easy lads lets not start a yellow billet style thread there are reasons for building it yourself yes and there are times to farm out the work. I built my first engine ford it was a little 300 inline six at the age of 14 felt good I'm 19 now and when I wanted my 526 built I knew that the power I wanted I couldn't port the heads myself so there's a time and a place for both

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Thanks for the Blueprint link, I'll give them a call.

You're welcome.

This photo is of a 496 big block Chevy crate engine short block brought to us to dyno after it was rebuilt by the crate company because of a warranty issue. All eight cylinders were in the same condition. The engine was fully assembled when it came to us and we tore it down to discover why it had 90% leakdown in one of the cylinders. Please note that the scratches extend above the piston ring travel area. You may draw your own conclusions as to when the scratches occured. The warrranted short block had not been fired prior to this teardown.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/heyoldguy/media/crateenginewarrantywork.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Please note I have made no claim as to which crate company this engine came from.

You're welcome.

This photo is of a 496 big block Chevy crate engine short block brought to us to dyno after it was rebuilt by the crate company because of a warranty issue. All eight cylinders were in the same condition. The engine was fully assembled when it came to us and we tore it down to discover why it had 90% leakdown in one of the cylinders. Please note that the scratches extend above the piston ring travel area. You may draw your own conclusions as to when the scratches occured. The warrranted short block had not been fired prior to this teardown.

http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/heyoldguy/media/crateenginewarrantywork.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Please note I have made no claim as to which crate company this engine came from.

Yea, real nice crosshatch going up and down in that cylinder. Surprised it only had 90% leakdown!!! LOL People pay big money for this stuff.

You're welcome.

Your point is well taken and that is why the builder's guarantee is a must. From the feedbacks I've received from various bids, nearly everyone considers this a mild build and are willing to give warrantees. I should note that some have hedged a bit on my torque requirements but that's okay.

Yea, real nice crosshatch going up and down in that cylinder. Surprised it only had 90% leakdown!!! LOL People pay big money for this stuff.
I agree with your statement. And most equate cost to quality and I believe some builders pray on that attitude.

Read about the build a while back. That was a real premium setup. Don't remember if they ever mentioned the compression ratio.

Read about the build a while back. That was a real premium setup. Don't remember if they ever mentioned the compression ratio.

It a pretty basic set up an eddy topped 505 short block and it produces the HP and Torque numbers you were looking for anything less will not.

I think you want to build more like the 408 stroker I was thinking of doing, just buy a cast crank and pistons with stock pocket ported heads, 9:1 CR and like a 268 cam for a 350 + hp torquer for my 5th Ave.

I imagine you could do that kind of thing with a 505 but it's gonna be a 450hp and 550 lbs ft engine but would make a nice daily driver engine.

It a pretty basic set up an eddy topped 505 short block and it produces the HP and Torque numbers you were looking for anything less will not.

I think you want to build more like the 408 stroker I was thinking of doing, just buy a cast crank and pistons with stock pocket ported heads, 9:1 CR and like a 268 cam for a 350 + hp torquer for my 5th Ave.

I imagine you could do that kind of thing with a 505 but it's gonna be a 450hp and 550 lbs ft engine but would make a nice daily driver engine.
I'm assuming when you say "Basic Setup" you are referring to no ported heads no wild cam lifts or duration, no special intake or carburation etc?

I'm assuming when you say "Basic Setup" you are referring to no ported heads no wild cam lifts or duration, no special intake or carburation etc?

The only way you could try cheaping that build is maybe factory rods and port out factory heads but don't see much savings . Or put that top end on a 440 and run like 4.10's out back.

To bad you just missed a 440 stroker kit and aluminum heads on ebay. Look at the 440source website. Their stroker kits for a 440 are $2250 and you get everything you need for the lower end. I know there is a few people on the site that have used them. Throw in a set of edelbrock heads in for $1600. Hit them with some port work. I like the hughes race engines rockers for $600. I am sure you can find a used intake on here and possibly headers. Shouldn't be to far off once to throw cam and other odds and ends in. 440 source also has head which I have heard good and negative comments, rockers, and all kinds of other good stuff that wont hurt the pocket to bad. Between 440 source and hughes race engines you should be able to get all the parts you need. save a few bucks compared to summit and jegs to.

don't forget to subtract -$1000 so you can get headers + exhaust

you can get el cheapo headers but they will be a bi*ch to put on will require pounding spots probably and you will be cussing up a storm.

you will want TTI's if you are going 500" +

if you were running 383/400 or something you could use schumie's

so $7500 for the engine

oh wait

the nice MSD all-in-one distributors with built in ign box cost around $400
your carb will be around $600 (get one from bigs)

so really your engine budget is closer to $6500

oops forgot you will need radiator too

if I had to choose between stock stroke 440 / 10:1 pistons + aluminum heads
or 500 stroker kit with iron heads

I'd choose the 440

I don't know of any 4.25 stroke packages that will be able to use a stock rod. They use smaller rod pin and wrist pin sizes, and the beams and bolt/nut fasteners would require a ton of clearancing and possibly an external oil line and pickup. I know the 496 (4.25 B) I have now couldn't use factory rods. Even if the crank was the B rod journal they'd hit the bores and the oil pickup boss would have to be removed almost entirely. Same with the 505 (4.25 RB).

To bad you just missed a 440 stroker kit and aluminum heads on ebay. Look at the 440source website. Their stroker kits for a 440 are $2250 and you get everything you need for the lower end. I know there is a few people on the site that have used them. Throw in a set of edelbrock heads in for $1600. Hit them with some port work. I like the hughes race engines rockers for $600. I am sure you can find a used intake on here and possibly headers. Shouldn't be to far off once to throw cam and other odds and ends in. 440 source also has head which I have heard good and negative comments, rockers, and all kinds of other good stuff that wont hurt the pocket to bad. Between 440 source and hughes race engines you should be able to get all the parts you need. save a few bucks compared to summit and jegs to.
I am aware of those components and their prices but it is the builders that need to know. I'm sure most are aware but for whatever reason don't used. I have made suddle suggestions and some accept while others reject. I believe many builders, once they find components they like or have experience with they just don't like to change regardless of the possible cost savings.

don't forget to subtract -$1000 so you can get headers + exhaust

you can get el cheapo headers but they will be a bi*ch to put on will require pounding spots probably and you will be cussing up a storm.

you will want TTI's if you are going 500" +

if you were running 383/400 or something you could use schumie's

so $7500 for the engine

oh wait

the nice MSD all-in-one distributors with built in ign box cost around $400
your carb will be around $600 (get one from bigs)

so really your engine budget is closer to $6500

oops forgot you will need radiator too

if I had to choose between stock stroke 440 / 10:1 pistons + aluminum heads
or 500 stroker kit with iron heads

I'd choose the 440
What are you referring to as you have lost me.

What he is saying is that you have to subtract the cost of carb, distributor & headers from your $8,500 budget if you are price shopping a rebuilt long block.
No, budget defines as the motor comes off the dyno, excluding headers. To be very clear this would include carb, distributor, fuel and water pumps.
As the bids continue to come in it appears the $8500 +/- $250 is a reasonable number.

Certainly possible. My combo is a 4.15 stroke in a 400 block for 500 ci. Made 550 HP at 5100 rpm and 610 torque at 4100 rpm, with pocket ported 452 heads. Torque was over 550 ft/lbs from 2700 to 5200 rpm. Cam is a comp hydraulic roller 236/242 duration 541/544 lift. Intake was a Holley Street Dominator with a 750 DP, but a Performer RPM would work the same. I am in the process of changing to Edelbrock RPM heads. The stock heads flowed 250 cfm but nosed over after 400 lift. The eddies keep climbing, so I'm interested to see what difference they make in total HP and rev range. It wont go back to the dyno, but I have a good baseline at the track to compare to. Price, who knows, I never added it up.
Uhhmm quite similar to what i have. i have a 440 with 4.25 crank ,10.5 with 440 source heads, im hoping for about 550 hp and 640 plus tq?

Uhhmm quite similar to what i have. i have a 440 with 4.25 crank ,10.5 with 440 source heads, im hoping for about 550 hp and 640 plus tq?

A lot depends on your cam choice. My buddy just let me know they finally dyno'd a 512 they were building which was very similar to mine. It had edelbrock rpm heads and intake and one step smaller comp hydraulic roller 230/236. It made 550 HP and 660 torque, and was already over 600 ft/lbs at 2500 rpm. Don't have any more details yet, but that is some serious torque.

A lot depends on your cam choice. My buddy just let me know they finally dyno'd a 512 they were building which was very similar to mine. It had edelbrock rpm heads and intake and one step smaller comp hydraulic roller 230/236. It made 550 HP and 660 torque, and was already over 600 ft/lbs at 2500 rpm. Don't have any more details yet, but that is some serious torque.
Why don't you ask him to post the specifics and costs if he is willing to share on my thread?

Received my 3rd engine builder bid so I have the numbers and builds to compare. For the records all bids were less than $8750. Also was able to gather several recipes for my performance specs so I am indeed a happy camper. Appreciate your inputs and your pms. Once the engine is built and dyno'd I will return to this thread with the results and costs.

-
Back