505 rb build advice needed for 39 dodge

-

derbyking

Reaction score
im a few weeks away from ordering the parts for my 78 440 thats going in my 2400-2500 pound 39 dodge truck.its got 3.91 rear gear,727 with a 2800-3000 turbo action convertor. weiand tunnel ram with 500cfm eddy carbs,2" zoomie headers with 6" baffles.current engine is a stock 440 i used for mock up and decided to run awhile to work out any problems i might have with cooling system ect.

ive already decided on a pump gas 440 source 512 rotating assembly .030 bore for a 78 440 block.i had planned on running rpm or source heads,comps .549/.544 hyd roller,harland sharp 1.6 rockers.ive seen articles where this combo made around 600 hp . then i started thinking about driving this thing alot.i wanna drive this thing 15 miles to work when i want,want it to be reliable,and started having second thoughts .ive sorta worked out several combos even got to thinking i didnt need the hy roller cam and could save some money by going to a reg hydralic cam and maybe spend the money on indy ez heads.thats when i got really confused:banghead:
the cost isnt really a big factor,but i like bang for my buck as long as it doesnt come back to bite me later. do i really need 600ish hp?ill take it, but i really want decent drivability.

i sold last ride in 1997 a 72 challenger 12-1 383,ported 906 heads,mp .509 old grind,750 holley,3500 stall,4.30 gear,little nitrous.great street car but sucked to drive to work.part of the reason i decided to go with a stroker this time around.hopefully thats enough back ground info,basicly i want 1000hp and dirve the crap out of it:D

i really would like a opinion on what heads and cam and rocker arms to run.it looks to me that stock port indy ez and cnc ported rpm/stealth flow/cost about the same,actually cnc rpm,s are more then ez's.witch are better real world? would the extra flow of the indy ez over a std cleaned up stealth/rpm benifit the 505?got me thinking if i could spend the extra on the heads and run a little more forgiving cam with out giving overall power?
are comps pro magnum 1.5 rockers a reliable set up?any more reliable then the harland shap 1.5 or 1.6?

what would be a good cam?and with what ratio rocker arms?i keep reading about (what seems to be pretty big street cams) in strokers and how drivable they are,true?could you really hit the road and take a short trip?would the comp xr292 hy roller be a good choice? could i make as much power with a std hy. with simaler drivability and save some cash?
sorry for the long post but i wanna do this right the first time.i havent skimped on this whole truck build,this whole deal started out as a low dollar rat rod and one thing led to another:eek:ops: few pics,mocked up and the cleaned up chassis

View attachment zoomies.jpg

View attachment 39 chassis.jpg

View attachment 0711111942-01.jpg

View attachment 0926112135-00.jpg

I would stick with a solid cam no matter which way you go. I would also spend the extra money on the Harland Sharp rockers. They are very nice pieces. In my opinion the EZ heads will give you more potential in the future if you want to CNC port them and make 700 plus hp with the stroker. Don't forget about a girdle!

Box stock intake flows as tested from the three heads you have listed.

Lift..........Stealth...........RPM............EZ

Note that the box stock EZ doesn't give any advantage over the box stock RPM until over .500" lift. In fact, the RPM out performs the EZ until that point. Out of the box the RPM or the EZ can do 600 HP with the engine you have described. Do you need 600 HP? No, you probably don't need 300 HP.

It really will depend where you may intend to go in the future. The Indy will give the greatest future power potential as I have never heard of the ported RPMs making anymore than 787 HP on a pump gas 451 ci engine.

I don't like hydraulic cams, just a personal thing, and would go a solid flat tappet or solid roller in the duration and lift (or one step up) you have chosen.

As an idea on what different cams may give you, I have used a hydraulic flat tappet 236/244 at .050 to make 565 HP @ 5300 rpm/629 TQ @ 3500 rpm with RPM heads and a 4.15 stroke. You could certainly use more cam than that if you wished. We've got a 4.15 stroke pump gas 496 on mildly ported RPM heads with a solid roller 249/255 @ .050 .585/.600 lift that makes 642 HP @ 5800 rpm and 642 TQ @ 4600 RPM (600+ TQ 3500-5500 rpm). It is used to haul around a 3900 lb Charger with 3.23 gears and a 4-speed.

The Harland Sharp is a good rocker in my opinion. I have used several sets of PRW stainless steel rockers in street builds to .600" lift. But for the slight difference in the price of the HS rockers in standard offset, I intend to consider the use of Harland Sharps from now on.

If money really isn't a problem and you can afford it, I would consider the Edelbrock Victors and T&D Rockers. The Victor box stock flows are:

.100....68 cfm
.200...141 cfm
.300...204 cfm
.400...246 cfm
.500...277 cfm
.600...305 cfm
.700...324 cfm

You will have to buy locks and retainers, the valve springs you have to get anyway for your cam, and you may have to do some pushrod clearancing. But in the long run the Victor will out perform the EZ head if you port them both.

x2 on the harland sharps and the edelbrock heads. a solid would be great or if using hydraulic get rhoades lifters. a roller cam is going to cost a lot for the rest of the setup, may not be worth the cost.

to be honest i'd say not to buy a stroker kit but get a nice KB piston kit (comes with moly rings) & some good forged 440 rods, have it blueprinted so you get perfect quench height with a good comp ratio for street gas.

if you do go with the stroker kit make sure you look at the compression ratios. be careful some of them are 11:1 or higher and i dont think you want to have to buy race gas all the time.

after you decide on the bottom end, you would probably to best to call Comp Cams and have them recommend a cam based on your combination with the intake, compression ratio, rear gears, etc.

you will save a lot of money by not going with the stroker kit that you can put into finishing up the body. do you already have glass for her and painted all pretty yet?

hey IQ52 any flow #'s on the -1 out of the box and with 2.25 valves?????

I don 't normally get this way, but WAY COOOL ******* TRUCK.... way cool...

On the engine... As IQ says, without porting most heads are close. For what you're doing, I'd run cleaned up RPMs. The can make close to 600hp and 600tq with enough cam. I'd use a solid flat tappet. It will give that cool idle sound and make the numbers. The 4.25 stroke/7.1 rod is a torque monster. The last one I did in a 4100lbs E body convertible has rendered 1st and 2nd utterly useless with any throttle, and part of 3rd the same way at full throttle. They are beasts. But that truck looks the part.

thanks guys! alot of good info.i was looking at flow numbers that came from different sources,nice to see them all from the same place. i now im overkilling the **** out of this but i overkilled the tranny when i built it too and i want the truck to back up the look i was after.looks like ill lean toward a set of cleaned up rpm,s,solid mech cam and hs rockers,and save a few bucks. so who would you recommend i call on the cam?

im working on the body now,had it blasted and just getting all the metal work finished up.its going to be hot rod black in the end.ive pretty much got everything to put it together allready and shooting to have it running by march early june,work out any bugs and then put the 505 in.

the local machinist is a good friend of mine and well go over everything with a fine tooth comb.

Indy EZ's, 1.6 rockers with a 285HL hyd. cam, rpm intake, 1000HP carb, 1" open spacer, 10:1 compression. Should make an easy 560HP and ridiculous TQ.
Brian

well after alot of debate and :banghead: i finally made up my mind on a engine combo and ordered up the parts.
10-1 505 MM rotating assembly,eddy rpm 84cc heads,lunati 60342 solid flat tappet 251/[email protected] .566/.586 lift,110/106 ls,harland sharp 1.5 rockers,and a whole bunch of other odds and ends.plan is to set up for .040 squish and 8.1 to 8.3 dynamic comp,go through the heads valve job and cleanup,ck guides,new springs and hardware
any ideas what this combo should do?and opinions on my cam choice or set up

That will be one fun 15 mile ride to work. You better have it pointed in the direction you want to go when you pull the trigger.

Power and torque? We built a 496 with the 4.15 stroke, mildly ported Edelbrock RPM heads that flowed 305 cfm @ .600" lift, the Lunati 60333 solid roller, Torker II intake, 1000 cfm 4150 and it made 642 TQ @ 4600 rpm and 642 HP @ 5800 rpm. Right now you have a little less head flow, a longer arm and a little different cam. Probably close to the same torque and a little less horsepower. I'm guessing over 600 lb-ft of torque from 3500-5300 rpm. The tunnel ram could get enough air to the heads to pull the torque a little higher in the rpm. But of course I'm guessing, I no expert as others here are.

Laurel, right close to Billings. How IS that drag strip there? I hear it is nice.

the dragstrip is great,very nice track.it had been for sale last couple years and limited races but the guy that did my powder coat on the chassis bought it a little while back.he plans on running a full season and having friday night drags also.i told him id bring the truck out and see if i could get it to run good enough to get booted for not having a cage.hes a mopar guy and was all for it.
i think you idaho guys a plenty smart on the subject,thanks for the help

heres a real short one going on the first test drive[ame="http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/derbyking/video/?action=view&current=39truck002.mp4"]http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/derbyking/video/?action=view¤t=39truck002.mp4[/ame]

i gotta thank you guys again! took the truck out for the 4th and got some miles on it and decided to go out of town a ways and see what itd do,the jetting still needs some work but did a 15 mph roll on 1st through 3rd to about 5500......YEP! i think my mid life crisis has been cured.

-
Back