545 rfe trans easier?

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
So I happen to have a 545RFE trans here at the shop and I'm wondering if I could use it behind my hemi. Is this trans easier to control?

Yes. You just need to get a ECM from a 2005 pickup and get it reflashed, and it will control both the motor and transmission. This is exactly the route I'm taking with my 70 Duster. Chris at Hotwire Auto in Arkansas can provide you with an ECM, or reflash yours if you find one. Good luck.

As JDMopar mentioned, you can use the 2005 for both eng/trans, but prior to that, the ECM was for engine only, with a separate TCM. If you use the earlier TCM, this will allow you to use aftermarket ECMs like FAST or MP/AEM, etc.

No reflash is needed to operate the 545rfe trans if using the factory computer (05 and up). 03-04 computers (ecm and tcm) are the bastards, so use an 05 and up, way more tuning and adjustments.

There is no aftermarket efi that is compatible with the 03-04 tcm, so no options there. Talk to sharadonperformance as they build the 545rfe trans to handle some big power, also they can tune the tcm side of the computer to alter shift patterns, firmness, etc. if ya just want alittle more than the factory programming, also some cmr tuners are capable of doing it also.

I just bought a Predator tuner (U7137) for my setup. I have installed a 5.7 hemi and 545 trans from an 05 2500 truck in my duster. I was surprised to find that I can adjust shift points as well as kickdown directly from the tool. I'm not sure how the performance trans tune will affect shift firmness yet as I have the car off the road to finish paint and body work, but I am surprised by the number of transmission parameters I can adjust without having a custom tune. I'll likely get a custom tune at some point since I do not have cats or rear o2 sensors installed and I have read that this will make it run rich.

No reflash is needed to operate the 545rfe trans if using the factory computer (05 and up). 03-04 computers (ecm and tcm) are the bastards, so use an 05 and up, way more tuning and adjustments. ................
You are partly correct.....the 2003 Rams have separate ECM & TMC's the 2004 Rams, which is what I have, has a combined ECM/TCM. The 05+ ECM is a better choice as it has trans tuning support.

Depends on the build date of the 04, whether or not they have 1 or 2 computers.

Yes. You just need to get a ECM from a 2005 pickup and get it reflashed, and it will control both the motor and transmission. This is exactly the route I'm taking with my 70 Duster. Chris at Hotwire Auto in Arkansas can provide you with an ECM, or reflash yours if you find one. Good luck.

I haven't had mine re-flashed and it runs and drives great. Might be a good idea though.

There is no reflashing required.

From what I have read here, there is a reflash needed if you want the security turned off in the ECM. I didn't state that in my reply, and it may have been confusing. According to what I have read here on FABO, in the New Hemi Swaps section that we're in right now....you have to get the ECM reflashed to cut the security feature off UNLESS you are using the ignition switch and chipped key from the vehicle your ECM came from. If this isn't correct, I guess i'm being a parrot in passing on a few other peoples bad info.

Some of the 05' computers had the chipped key, not all, so I should have said that. My 05' computer didn't and that saved me from having it turned off. I say try it before spending the money, ya got nothing to lose.

If you have the vin number from the vehicle you can call the dodge dealer and they can tell you if it has anti-theft then yes you will have to get it flashed. I have an 04 with 1 ecm runs like a bat outa hell.

-
Back