596 heads on -68 340

-

Dusterfreak

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have J heads with 2.02 intake on my stock 340 but they are in bad condition, would need a full rebuilt. Theres a set of these 596 heads for sale and I thought if they would be any good for my engine. They are aerohead reconditioned heads. As I said, the engine is stock as far as I know. It has TTI headers and rpm intake, not sure what the cam is but I propably will change it if I replace the heads. I know theres a lot of discussion about these, but all threads seem to be about 360 basements.
Please give some advice, thanks.

There won't any change performance wise other than the heads being good where the others were bad. They are essentially the same head.

Just double check the heads before you install them.

(360 basements?)

I refer you back to post #2.

If they are usable, and your "J"s are not, no reason not to use them!

Check those heads out real good before using them..know someone that bought a set of those new had nothing but trouble with them...

Aerohead doesnt seem to reject any cores. They remanufacture anything. Just dont be surprised if your aeroheads need milling before they seal.

They are not 100% faulty of course. But then the unhappy people on the forums with cracked heads, different spring pad measurements etc arent happy with theirs. Im sure someone in the 70s bought and used a Chevette and liked it. Doesnt mean for the price they paid, it was a quality piece. As a fellow fabo member I hope you dont have any problems. Its not like just having to yank a bad carb.

Im a little worried about the compression, 596 has 73cc or so chambers, am I right? Should I keep on saving money and buy edels...

Im a little worried about the compression, 596 has 73cc or so chambers, am I right? Should I keep on saving money and buy edels...

73cc according to whom? Have those particular heads been measured? That's the only way to determine it, because combustion chambers vary by a good margin from one head to another even with the same casting number. Never take for granted the chamber size, because your "guess" will probably be wrong.

I bought a set of the same heads and had to strip one head down and have the exhaust side resurfaced it was rusted so bad it wasn't flat ,when I called them they said to have it resurfaced and they would pay for it, they didn't want to pay the whole bill ,they said 75$ was too much (I'm in the dc area where shops charge 100$ a hour) they would just pay 25$, and I had 300$worth of up grades to the heads . I though 75$ was a good price for stripping the head down and cutting it then cleaning it up and putting it back together again ,but they did run good without any problems

596 should be around 69CCs. They run between 66 and 72/73 CCs. Until you check them you won't know for sure.
Don't waste any money until you check them and even if they are 72 CC you wouldn't have to mill off very much to get them down to 68/69 CCs.
Treblig

73cc according to whom? Have those particular heads been measured? That's the only way to determine it, because combustion chambers vary by a good margin from one head to another even with the same casting number. Never take for granted the chamber size, because your "guess" will probably be wrong.

x2. You need to CC the heads and see if both heads are reasonably close. You have no idea if they were a matched set when they were rebuilt.

-
Back