6.1 Swap into a 68 Dart

-

M 69 Dart

Reaction score
Hello
I'm swapping in a 6.1 into my 68 dart, I have read Real Wings restoration and it's very impressive. Great job.
My 6.1 is out of a 08 Jeep and I do have the stock exhaust manifolds that I would like to use, not sure on the steering column clearance past the manifolds to the steering box?. This will be a cruiser if all works out.
I want to keep the EFI setup that it came with and put a 904 trans behind it (body work is done and I don't want to cut up the floor for a overdrive unit), so my plan was to go with Bouchillon's computer and harnesses with their Gen 3 Hemi kickdown system. Has anyone used it and can comment. I know there are other systems but I would like to use as much of what came with it as I can.
It sounds like the Napa 4N6987 is the starter to use.
I was going with the stock K frame member out of a 73 Dart, I have read that a few guys have moved motor mounts around and are able to keep the AC and power steering, not sure if this is a route to go or not?, my AC is tucked under the the driver side of the engine by the K member.
If I can't go power steering is there a block off plate for the power steering pump?

Thanks

If I can't go power steering is there a block off plate for the power steering pump?
This will be a cruiser if all works out.

To disable the assist you can just loop the oil-in and return sides together with a hose. But;
Good luck steering with the Power-steering box and no assist. The ratio is IIRC 15:1 so it's Armstrong steering all the way. And, the power-piston and control-valve, without pressure going into the box, will put a lot of slop into the steering-wheel, maybe a quarter turn or more with no cure for it, which means a generous amount of wandering will be the norm.
Forget parallel parking.
Get a 10 ft door for your garage, lol.

<I don't mean to rain on your dreams but all this for "a cruiser"?>

Last edited:
I’m not sure which exact model year and car they’re from, but there are some later brackets and pulleys for electric power steering assist cars that you can use in place of the stock power steering pump if you find that you have to use a manual steering box or run an electric power steering setup.

I’m not sure which exact model year and car they’re from, but there are some later brackets and pulleys for electric power steering assist cars that you can use in place of the stock power steering pump if you find that you have to use a manual steering box or run an electric power steering setup.
Manual steering will work just fine. Not sure I’m interested in the electric steering, under the dash is pretty busy.
Thanks for the reply.

So much of what you asked has already been answered. Why not check out the search feature and you would be amazed how much info on this subject there is.
Good luck and what? No pictures?

Thanks, I will check out that search feature and see what I can find.
Appreciate the help.

Don't believe you will be able to use the 6.1 exhaust manifolds. Not without some kind of steer by wire setup anyways. :)

Here is a thread on PS delete - 6.1 no p/steering no a/c pulley

If you want to keep your AC pump, I think you will be rolling your own DS mounts. Not even the Holley swap mounts allow for the low mount AC compressor on an early 5.7 or 6.1 and they move the motor forward like 1.75". You could try and make a truck timing cover work (pretty sure it would bolt on) which puts the AC compressor up high, but I doubt you will be able to run the 6.1 intake then. Maybe you could try a later truck intake? I think the ports would work, but not sure how the alternator mount and intake would interface.

Only other options I can think of to keep the AC is an aftermarket suspension kit.

Might be worth thinking about an Eagle (VVT) 5.7 with the Holley swap parts. You will have to probably run a cable shifter for the trans but they at least have a mount to go with the relocated motor. And you will need a v8 k-frame if you don't have one. But this will keep your AC compressor and the later motors have a bolt on PS delete bracket that is a factory part. You won't be down much on power, a cam swap would get most (all?) of that back and you could run your 6.1 intake if you wanted to keep the 6.1 look. Just an idea.

Yes, once I get a little time I will get it mocked up and see what I have for and if I can manipulate anything to get stuff to fit.
Thanks

The current issue of Mopar Action (June, 2023) shows how they fabbed a cable-type kick down linkage for a 727-A trans and G3 Hemi. Most of it was Lokar kit 2727HT60 from Summit with other misc parts. Car is a 69 Dart with Holley mounts. I believe they are using a stock throttle cable and column shifter.

Thanks for the reply.
So I take it they used “drive by cable “ I was planning on drive by wire as that’s what came on the engine, trying to keep costs down, using Bouchillon’s computer and kick down pressure unit, but I’m still looking at what others have done so nothing is set in stone yet. Always interested in any advice on what is out there.
Thanks

Use the stepper motor off of 03-05 trucks. You run your throttle cable to that and adapt your kickdown cable into that bellcrank. I think there's a video of it on DIY Hemi. I've done this and it works.

Thanks, I will look into that video.

By chance did you use Bouchillon computer system? wondering how well it works?

Thanks again.

So that would replace Bouchillon kick down kit and probably half the cost, awesome thanks.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciate
Did you use this on yours.

Thanks again

Did this on a customer 84 W-250 with 08 5.7 and 727 trans.

Nice, what fuel management system did you use.
Thanks for the help and I hope you don’t mind me asking too many questions.

Appreciate the help
Thanks

Sublime one
Been reading your thread and awesome job by the way, only half way through it, but giving me a few ideas and lots of insight on what to expect.

Thanks again

Sublime one
Been reading your thread and awesome job by the way, only half way through it, but giving me a few ideas and lots of insight on what to expect.

Thanks again
You are most welcome, I hope you can save both time and some money from my many mistakes! Lord knows a made a bunch of them! But I drive the Demon all the time and it has become my favorite car. I would not trade it for all the money in China!

IMG_9853.jpeg

Well she looks great, I’m reading your post #222 with the oil pan issues where you are talking about leaks and it made me think about my 340 with a Milodon pan that leaked, I would clean it and as long as you stood there and watched it wouldn’t leak, come back in the morning and there’s the leak right at the plug, changed plugs no luck, finally found it the bung had cold lap on it when welded in, never thought it could be but fixed now and leak free. Lol.
I love reading through your thread, it’s great and gives a guy great ideas and the does and dont’s part especially good.
Thanks again and I appreciate all the help

Well she looks great, I’m reading your post #222 with the oil pan issues where you are talking about leaks and it made me think about my 340 with a Milodon pan that leaked, I would clean it and as long as you stood there and watched it wouldn’t leak, come back in the morning and there’s the leak right at the plug, changed plugs no luck, finally found it the bung had cold lap on it when welded in, never thought it could be but fixed now and leak free. Lol.
I love reading through your thread, it’s great and gives a guy great ideas and the does and dont’s part especially good.
Thanks again and I appreciate all the help
You are most welcome, keep in mind many of my solutions we’re based on my skill set and material I had laying about. And as always with a racers point of view. There are several build threads on here that are far more elegant and professional. I did mine in my shop as best I could. It definitely pushed me to the edge of my skillset. A lot of walk away moments! And a fair dose of bourbon!

-
Back