/6...318...or 360???

-
I say be different & go with the slant. Like MoparBrit stated, check out the turbo slants on you tube from across the pond. They are squirly all the way down the track!! I have a 225/904 combo that came out of my parts car that ran like a dream & I plan on finding another a body to drop it in just as soon as im done with my duster!

Check this one out. Dont know how it would be on gas, but for a slant it sounds damn good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSTPcC2xcIM&feature=related

I don't know. That valve train rattle would drive me nuts.

I think the green car sounds purty tough at idle, but kinda "RICEY" when the throttle was blipped. 'Course, to ME, an old fart of the first order, the wheels look kinda "ricey" too! But, as I'll tell ANYONE: "Your car, your money, you get to make all the choices!" And the statement is true for MY rides as well!

Different cars with different owners, who have different ideas of what's cool and differing amounts of money to put into the hobby is what keeps the speed equipment industry humming.

Just another thought, How about a 3.9 ? same basic size as the /6 and fits the trans of the 318. easier transplant from a v/8..

Hey Mr.tire, Your not a bad guy. Its all good, dont worry bout my feelings, lol Hey the bottom line is everyone has good points.

By the way, arnt you a local San jose guy? I might just have the slant your looking for. lol Isnt it funny how things work out. lol

I like em all.
They all have there place,and are great motors. I built the slant in my 65 that would walk away from my 2 bbl 318 70 Dart. Then I put a 4 bbl on the 318 with dual exhaust,and it would walk away from the slant. Now I'm building a 360 for the 70 and it better walk away from the teen........8)

The slant is a fun motor at shows. I was parked next to a Hemi Cuda with my Slant Six Dart at a show last year. There were 10 people around my car and 0 around the Cuda. The look on the guys face was priceless.

Anyway,not sure if I helped anything.Cool thread though.

Picture 265.jpg

Picture 498.jpg

Picture 670.jpg

I kept the 318 in my '74 duster and it's been re-built, sometimes people ask me why I didn't drop a 360 in it. Reason being is I wanted the original engine and trans to reamain with the car. But a 360 will make more power than a 318 with the same money. More cubes more power.

People always ask me if I have a 340 or 360 by the exhaust then I tell them it's a 318 and there kinda shocked. One day I will have a slant 6 mopar. I have always wanted one just for there uniqeness and they just look so cool. I was so sure that green duster in the video was a v8 but sure enough it was a slant. Sounded great. Probably the best sounding slant I have ever heard.

Try to find a factory 318 4BBL.
These engines are great.
You can find them in cop cars or wagons usually.
They come with a 360 intake, 340 sixpak cam, 340 connecting rods, 360 heads milled to maintain compression, dual roller timing chain, usually have a thermoquad or quadrajet depending on the year.
PICT4857.jpg

It's a strong little motor that gets good gas mileage and can run 87 octane.
I upgraded the one I found, and put it in my duster.
The only thing I noticed bad about it is that the aggressive stock cam will sometimes not provide enough vacuum if you have power brakes.

Not true. The cam in them is the same as any other 318 cam. They do have very low 7.5:1 comp due to huge chambers and pistons very low in the bore.

I know because I own one and have swapped the stock cam out.

Hi, Been lot of mentioning about the thought that I was originally going to swap the slant for a 318. Have to say that was because I had a 318 parts car sitting there. Also, think there is nothing wrong with the 318. Depends what you final result required is. Building for ultimate power, full on race, lowest et, highest horsepower is only one direction to go. A bonus is that with the prevailing attitude to 318 (and slants for that matter) you can pick up an engine for next to nothing. In fact I have seen some actually given away for nothing! Still the 318 would make a good cruiser, peppy performer etc. Just a matter of personal taste and what you think you need out of the car. When I first got my '62 Savoy I thought I'd keep it with a 318, but perhaps just update it to the non poly one. Ended up with a built 440, reverse pattern manual 727, narrowed 9", 4.56 gears, spool, caged, tinned, tubbed, glass body panels, lexan windows, NOS, etc. etc. that I used to drive on the street. Fun car, sure, but not what I want now.

The 318 in the Dart would have been fun, but I've already got a running /6 in it now. Only tweaks I plan to do is to pep it up slightly and increase mpg so it can be used as a cruiser, transport etc. Sure I could go buy a Honda, but then taste in car comes into play. Why go for a Honda, could go for a Yaris, Corolla, the list goes on. I prefer to drive something that suits my taste in cars just as those who drive Hondas have suited theirs. MPG wise there are many a / car in the mid 20's for average mpg. The Feather Duster was "rated" something like 35 mpg. Actual, I would guess would have been lower, but still reports of great mileage with them. Those mpg figures rival a lot of brand new cars.

Boils down to build and own what you like and what you feel you need.

To each his own as the variety is what keeps the world going around. I love them all. Mopar is Mopar to me.

Going to see if this works for those who might like some entertainment of the six variety. Not sure how to put the You tube in, but give this a try.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2D92O66SZY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2D92O66SZY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

EDIT: nope that does not look like it works. Here is the page URL for those who would like to have a bit of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2D92O66SZY

Maybe someone could tell me how to post the vid. EDIT NO 2: Well looks like that worked. Nice to have figured it out.

Cheers

Hi, Been lot of mentioning about the thought that I was originally going to swap the slant for a 318. Have to say that was because I had a 318 parts car sitting there. Also, think there is nothing wrong with the 318. Depends what you final result required is. Building for ultimate power, full on race, lowest et, highest horsepower is only one direction to go. A bonus is that with the prevailing attitude to 318 (and slants for that matter) you can pick up an engine for next to nothing. In fact I have seen some actually given away for nothing! Still the 318 would make a good cruiser, peppy performer etc. Just a matter of personal taste and what you think you need out of the car. When I first got my '62 Savoy I thought I'd keep it with a 318, but perhaps just update it to the non poly one. Ended up with a built 440, reverse pattern manual 727, narrowed 9", 4.56 gears, spool, caged, tinned, tubbed, glass body panels, lexan windows, NOS, etc. etc. that I used to drive on the street. Fun car, sure, but not what I want now.

The 318 in the Dart would have been fun, but I've already got a running /6 in it now. Only tweaks I plan to do is to pep it up slightly and increase mpg so it can be used as a cruiser, transport etc. Sure I could go buy a Honda, but then taste in car comes into play. Why go for a Honda, could go for a Yaris, Corolla, the list goes on. I prefer to drive something that suits my taste in cars just as those who drive Hondas have suited theirs. MPG wise there are many a / car in the mid 20's for average mpg. The Feather Duster was "rated" something like 35 mpg. Actual, I would guess would have been lower, but still reports of great mileage with them. Those mpg figures rival a lot of brand new cars.

Boils down to build and own what you like and what you feel you need.

To each his own as the variety is what keeps the world going around. I love them all. Mopar is Mopar to me.

Going to see if this works for those who might like some entertainment of the six variety. Not sure how to put the You tube in, but give this a try.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2D92O66SZY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2D92O66SZY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

EDIT: nope that does not look like it works. Here is the page URL for those who would like to have a bit of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2D92O66SZY

Maybe someone could tell me how to post the vid. EDIT NO 2: Well looks like that worked. Nice to have figured it out.

Cheers

Awsomely put Brit!!

I say that for a couple reasons....

1. they are very hard to find
  2. they are expensive
  3. they were built for a little different style of driving ( stock)
  4. Not everyone can get one.../6, 318, 360 can be had by anyone and everyone

OK, I'll agree with those points. The 2 I have I got from people on other lists looking to liquidate them for other projects. Seems like around here, slants and 318s are easy to find (usually for free), 360s less so and big blocks forget them.

I dunno, it seems like modern cars are heavier than old ones. At least similarly sized. I bet if you compared an old Dart or Valiant to a modern mid-size car, the modern one would be a couple hundred pounds heavier.

Yep, My Dart is 3250 LB,

mustang gt 3600 LB,
mustang gt 500 3900 LB,
new gto 3770 LB,
Dodge Charger 4200 LB,
Dodge Chalinger 4100 LB.
Corrvet 3300 LB.

All of those are not compacts!

Robbie...Whats the 3.9 from?

Sublime...I'm up in Maple Ridge BC canada

Johnny Dart...I think you nailed it on the button. This really isn't a thread for what engine is Better. It is for what engine is better for what condition.

Good points people.

Agreed that the cars are not "labelled" the same, but our compact cars are comparable in size to todays "mid-size". They did this years ago to make those buying compacts feel like they were getting "more car" for their money.

Grant

3.9 is the V6 in the Dakota.

IMO, I have heard they are a troublesome. Not sure if the engine itself is trouble, or if it is the Dakota.

If I recall, there is a guy over on one of the Slant 6 forums that put the 3.9, cleaned and detailed, into an early A body.

I can attest to Charlie's snotty /6s. I love the sound of a good in-line 6. They remind me of my 56 Jag XK 140.

I haven't heard Charlie's car, but as far as my hopped up slant with Dutra Duals, it doesn't sound like a CAR to me at all. When I'm on the highway, it sounds just like the fighter planes in all of those old WWII movies. LOVE it! Don't get me wrong, I like the rumble/roar of a V-8, but you can hear that all day driving around town, from pick-ups to Camaros and Mustangs. A hot slant sounds really good in its own way, and it's UNIQUE. Not many souped-up inline sixes out there.

Just my $.02. Oh, and needless to say I vote for slants in this discussion, 'cause they're fun, they're different, they're semi-economical, and (when properly modified) they're as fast as I need them to be.

VM

Just curious - why do you say that? Cause they were built for high performance from the gitgo?
I would say the reason that is said is because they were a performance engine. 318/360 were put in many different vehicles by Ma Mopar because they were considered utility engines. 340s were never put in lower end, low performance vehicles. The reason the 340 was designed was to race... PERIOD. This is why 340s are in a class of their own.

I agree on the sound of a souped up /6. The Ausiie Hemi 6 sounds wicked too,sort of like an extremely angry hornet!

However,the rumble of a nasty smallblock always gets to me!

I agree on the sound of a souped up /6. The Ausiie Hemi 6 sounds wicked too,sort of like an extremely angry hornet!

However,the rumble of a nasty smallblock always gets to me!

I do like the /6 for the daily driver aspect...But I have yet to hear the distant sound/Rumble of a car, only to look up and see that it was a /6 a body.

Thats just me.

I like them, I just would prefer a suped up V8...360 for that matter.

I think we could prob all agree that they are all pretty good engines.

Phil

All of those are not compacts!

Sublime...I'm up in Maple Ridge BC canada

Johnny Dart...I think you nailed it on the button. This really isn't a thread for what engine is Better. It is for what engine is better for what condition.

Good points people.

The Dart was marketed as a BIG compact. Buy todays standereds it is a midsize car. It weighs less than a VETT!!! What more do you want?

Here's one for you;

My 68 Barracuda was orignally a \6 3 on the tree car with 3.23 gears in the rear end. It got 16 or so mpg around town, never drove on the hiway in this state.

I rebuilt the \6. I shaved the head to get the compression to approx 9:1, installed a comp cam, offy intake, 390cfm 4bbl, headers, dual exhaust. At the same time I installed an A833OD 4sp and a 3.55 suregrip rear end. It now got 19-20 mpg around town and 22-23 on the hiway. But, it was no where near as quick as my 2.2 turbo Daytona nor any where near as good on gas but it was quicker than the wifes 2.5 v6 Dodge Avenger.

I now have a 360 with approximately 370 HP, runs 13.7's with miserable traction and based on the 102 mph trap speeds should easily be a low 13 car maybe high 12's. For the most part it is quicker than the majority all the cars you might run across on the road. It is still using the same A833OD and 3.55 rear end. This combo gets 17-18 mpg around town and 21-22 on the hiway.

The 360 gets better mileage than the stock one bbl \6 grated the 360 has the advanatage of an OD tranny and the \6 was tired. But it only gets 1-2 mpg less the built \6 but has tons more power.

The built \6 did get more attention at a cruise night than the 360 but in casual conversion away from the car the minute I mentioned \6 you could see the excitement drain out of peoples faces that doesn't happen when I say 360. Plus the 360 is so much more entertaining to drive. As a daily driver the Barracuda gets the same mileage as my pick-up so the only penalty is the extra couple of bucks per fill-up for mid grade over regular. From April to Dec if it's not raining the Barracuda is my commuter car.

Here is the car when it had the \6;
Slant6.jpg

Here is what it looks like with the 360;
EngineIn2.jpg

For me swapping the \6 for the 360 was all positive with no down side.

I don't care about gas mileage because I don't drive the car that much. If ever go on a long trip with the cuda then I will pay the price I guess. LOL!

There is nothing wrong with the 273,318, or 340 of course. I had a 273 that was rebuilt and have the receipts on how much it cost to have it rebuilt. I didn't rebuild the motor myself but with the same amount of money or less I have rebuilt 360. I haven't added everything up to the penny but I know that I have came less with the 360 (273 pistons are high). I know a 318 is a performer compared to the 273 but they are not much difference in which bore size and compression would be the two major factors. I have changed the cams three different time in the 273 and never was happy with it so I decided to try another motor. I have always had a big block car so I went with the closest motor I could go with in the small block category. The longer stroke and bigger bore size to me what makes the 360 so inviting.

In all it really depends on the intended use of the car and personal preference.

The Dart was marketed as a BIG compact. Buy todays standereds it is a midsize car. It weighs less than a VETT!!! What more do you want?

I don;t want anything. I am just saying that you can't compare apples and oranges. It is rediculous to try and compare a dart from the 1960's-1970's to a car that was made in 2005-2008. Heck you can't even compare them to a 90's car. Its silly to do that. Who cares about wheight and horse power comparison. You say that the dart is lighter than these cars... But the dart doesn't have The bigger rear end as these newer Posi driven cars. They don't have all the electronics, Airbags, Speeker system.

If dodge was to remake the dart today you would either get a car that looks like a Yaris because it is keeping the dart as a compact that it was befor. Or you would only be able to get a 4 dr model sedan...Which I am sure would out weight its current compitition in GVW.

All I am saying is it is uncomparable.

-
Back