/6...318...or 360???

-

mrtires24

Reaction score
Ok, this is a post to debate which engine is better for what?

the reason I am starting this post is because a Post was started by a guy asking about his 318 swap...after the post grew, and people started talking more and more, the post started to be a debate on which engine was better. I don't think we should be cluttering other peoples posts with info that they are not looking for.

Here is the question that have been coming up in the other post.

what engine is best for a daily driver with concerns about fuel costs?

Is a /6 almost as powerful as a 318?

Can a 318 be bult better than a 360 with the same parts and money?

If you want to read the post that started this one, it is Bye slant six, Hello 318 .

Please keep big blocks out of this
( I am not against them...I have one..but they are in a class of there own :burnout:)

Let the debate begin!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil

I'm tweaking on a slant because I don't want a "formula" car. The most irritating question I get is "Why don't you drop in a 360?" and my answer is "I already have a belly button. Besides, I don't need a V8 to outrun your (fill in the blank)".

But then, I have an early A ('66). '67 up you really don't need anything bigger than a 318 IMO.

Ok, this is a post to debate which engine is better for what?

the reason I am starting this post is because a Post was started by a guy asking about his 318 swap...after the post grew, and people started talking more and more, the post started to be a debate on which engine was better. I don't think we should be cluttering other peoples posts with info that they are not looking for.

Here is the question that have been coming up in the other post.

what engine is best for a daily driver with concerns about fuel costs?

Is a /6 almost as powerful as a 318?

Can a 318 be bult better than a 360 with the same parts and money?

Answers to your questions:what engine is best for a daily driver with fuel costs??.....in an a-body i'd say a slant 6...

Is a slant 6 as powerful as a 318?..i would think not...

Can a 318 be built better then a 360 with the same parts and money?...no...

Try to find a factory 318 4BBL.
These engines are great.
You can find them in cop cars or wagons usually.
They come with a 360 intake, 340 sixpak cam, 340 connecting rods, 360 heads milled to maintain compression, dual roller timing chain, usually have a thermoquad or quadrajet depending on the year.
PICT4857.jpg

It's a strong little motor that gets good gas mileage and can run 87 octane.
I upgraded the one I found, and put it in my duster.
The only thing I noticed bad about it is that the aggressive stock cam will sometimes not provide enough vacuum if you have power brakes.

I bought a 71 slant six car. Thought I'd swap it for a 318 that I had in a parts car at the time. With the price of fuel, effort and costs I stuck with the slant 6. Just my choice. I was more interested in a cruiser car that would be transportation, have some style about it and we could drive to events or whatever while getting decent mileage.
To each his own. Depends what you want to build, the money you have and what you want out of the car.
Slants can be built to be really quick (check out the turbo slants on youtube) as can 318 and 360 cars.
Cheers

Ok,

These arn't really MY QUESTIONS, as much as they are what people are saying in the other post.

My thoughts are this.

For a daily driver, I would love a /6. they are bullit proof, and reliable. I wouldn't swap out a /6 for a 318 if I wanted to have a driver. too much work, for not much in return.

If I wanted power, I don't think I would build a /6. Maybe if I had money to blow, and I just wanted to see what I could do. But, to me, a slant 6 is a reliable driver, not a racer.

I don't think a /6 and a 318 are the same in power. I think 318 would have a head start on that discusion. I think a /6 could be as good as a stock 318. But again, why put money into a /6, just maintain it, and drive it.

A 318 is only good in the car it came in from the factory. 318's arn't worth anything...and if you put big bucks into one, then try and sell the car that it is in...good luck! you better have receipts for the parts, and a dyno test to go with it...even then, I would be hesitant to by a car with a 318 which the owner tells me has 400 horse's. Why would you try and build a 318 when you could build a 360. If you are going to put $$$ into an engine anyways, AND you obviously arn't concerned about gas milage...then why not go with a 360???!!!??? You can't polish a turd ;)

I do meen that as a joke.

if you were to put the same Money into a 360 as you would a 318, you would come out ahead with the 360...hands down. no more comments needed on that one.

I am sure I will be writing again later.

Phil

PS NO 340's either...agian...I have one of those too, but they are in a class of there own!

Slants can be pretty awesome.
My grandpa built an incredible slant six back in the 60's for a rail dragster that won its class in the AHRA nationals.

I say be different & go with the slant. Like MoparBrit stated, check out the turbo slants on you tube from across the pond. They are squirly all the way down the track!! I have a 225/904 combo that came out of my parts car that ran like a dream & I plan on finding another a body to drop it in just as soon as im done with my duster!

Check this one out. Dont know how it would be on gas, but for a slant it sounds damn good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSTPcC2xcIM&feature=related

I say be different & go with the slant. Like MoparBrit stated, check out the turbo slants on you tube from across the pond. They are squirly all the way down the track!! I have a 225/904 combo that came out of my parts car that ran like a dream & I plan on finding another a body to drop it in just as soon as im done with my duster!

Check this one out. Dont know how it would be on gas, but for a slant it sounds damn good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSTPcC2xcIM&feature=related

OK....

Sounds good....

Nice looking....

But thats about it.

Good little driver.

About that super charged one....Why not in a 360?

what engine is best for a daily driver with concerns about fuel costs? slant 6

Is a /6 almost as powerful as a 318? no

Can a 318 be bult better than a 360 with the same parts and money? no

About that super charged one....Why not in a 360? Because they wanted to build a slant!

Ok,

These arn't really MY QUESTIONS, as much as they are what people are saying in the other post.

My thoughts are this.

For a daily driver, I would love a /6. they are bullit proof, and reliable.

AGREED
I wouldn't swap out a /6 for a 318 if I wanted to have a driver. too much work, for not much in return.

I do not agree. You can receive similar gas mileage from both and have added power

If I wanted power, I don't think I would build a /6. Maybe if I had money to blow, and I just wanted to see what I could do. But, to me, a slant 6 is a reliable driver, not a racer.

I don't think a /6 and a 318 are the same in power. I think 318 would have a head start on that discusion. I think a /6 could be as good as a stock 318. But again, why put money into a /6, just maintain it, and drive it.

A 318 is only good in the car it came in from the factory. 318's arn't worth anything...and if you put big bucks into one, then try and sell the car that it is in...good luck! you better have receipts for the parts, and a dyno test to go with it...even then, I would be hesitant to by a car with a 318 which the owner tells me has 400 horse's. Why would you try and build a 318 when you could build a 360. If you are going to put $$$ into an engine anyways, AND you obviously arn't concerned about gas milage...then why not go with a 360???!!!??? You can't polish a turd ;)

I do meen that as a joke.

I dont agree with you here. The 318 has been used in cars longer then the 360. It is a very reliable motor and are worth putting money into. Lets add to that, and i know you said no big blocks, but why stop at a 360 when you can go with a 383, why stop there 440, hell just throw in a hemi. To each there own. A 318 can be built to easily handle 400hp with not much at all. It all depends on the person.

if you were to put the same Money into a 360 as you would a 318, you would come out ahead with the 360...hands down. no more comments needed on that one.Again, you have a valid point. But you can send as much as you want, if the parts dont match or work together then what do you have. Nothing. I could spend twice as much on parts then the next guy, it doesnt mean it will preform.

I am sure I will be writing again later.

Phil

PS NO 340's either...agian...I have one of those too, but they are in a class of there own!

This is a great post and thanks for starting it. The world will agree to disagree, that makes us human. so let the debate continue.....

If it's a daily driver, park it and buy a Honda if you're worried about gas milage. I don't care what engine you have, if you have a heavy (by comparison to modern compacts and such) old car with old technology - you're NEVER going to get good gas milage. Sure, the \6 gets better milage than it's 8cly cousins, but not compared to late-model compacts and mid-size cars. Sorry, but if that's your primary concern, I would say don't make it your every day driver. If you insist on using it that way, there's no debate - use the \6 and get better milage than the V8s.

If you're building something that you can drive to shows, to the store, on weekends, or even to work a couple days a week, go with the 360. The difference in fuel consumption between a 318 and 360 is negligible. No offense to the 318 and \6 guys in the hobby, but other than "original" cars, I can't imagine why someone would not opt for a 360 over the other choices. Ma Mopar made it SO easy to swap engines in theses cars. Why spend the extra $ making a \6 or 318 into a performance engine when you can get it much easier and probably cheaper with the 360.

BTW - in terms of reliability, the 318 has an almost equal reputation as the \6 for lasting forever. The 360 is almost identical to the 318 in design and is equally reliable if built right.

First off, I don't want to look like the bad guy here against one engine and all for another, and not the other. I have a 318 demon, I have a 340 dart, I have a 440 duster, my fiance has a 273 ( which is a good engine too) I have had 360's, and I have had /6 ( looking for one right now)

Heck...any mopar is good...for a porpose.

Also...This isn't a debate against me. I'm not a bad guy, I just wanted a place for people to rant. I mean no harm to anyone here. Please don't take any affence to ANYONES POST here. like sublime said...we will agree to disagree.

Now...

Bigmacdak, I just scratch my head when someone would spend all that money to go fast on a /6. Granted that car has a coolness value that can only be obtained by a super charged /6....But why? I just don't really get it. Like I said. If I had lots of money to blow..then why not see what one could do with a /6. To me, right now they are great little engines, and deserve alot of credit. But not to build up. Maybe I will change my mind with time.

Sublime swinger, I'm glad we can agree on something;)

Like I said with the /6 318 swap, it just seams like a little bit of a waste. One is obviously doing the swap because they are looking for more power. Why not put a 2 barrel 360 in the car. /6 to 318 isn't much different...how much different would a 2 brl 318 to a 2 barrel 360 be? someone here should be able to answer that and put me in my place.
Its not too dificult to do the /6 to v8 swap, its just time and money that I don't see worth doing over a 318 with a little more umpf and a little less m/g

Sublime swinger, I agree with you on that 318's are reliable and good little engines. the reason I don't think it is worth bringing in 440's or hemis, or 383's is because of the price differance of the engines and the price difference of the parts, and the Horse power difference. If someone can afford a 318...they can afford a 360! But their is a big difference once you start thinking of BIG BLOCKS. Can we agree on that one too? and if anyone else wants to agree...say "I"

Oh and, of course if you don't know what you are building you will end up with nothing. Unless you buy that spoiler that ads like 50 horses, and if you change your muffler bearings, I hear that can ad up to another 40 horses...Just something to think about for your next 318 build ;)

honestly though, I am the last person that would be able to build an engine. I don't know anything about the guts of an engine, or what combination would be good or not.

thanks for saying its a great post.. I thought it was needed because of poor 1974 dusters post.

If you want to debate big blocks and small blocks, I know there is one of those here, I have seen it. But I think this one will be more interesting.

Danmc77

I would agree with you on the honda part. But because this is a mopar site I have to say it. ARE YOU KIDING ME!!!!

there I got it out...I feal better.

just kidding, I would have to agree with most all of what you said. I think we would agree that nothing other than a mopar is under discusion here :)

So yeah /6 is best for m/g and reliability.

318 are reliable too though ( thought I would ad that befor sublime got all upset.)

All I have to say about the 360 coments you made is... there is no missplacement for dissplacement. If your building somthing for power. Look for the bigger cubes!

Phil

Danmc77

I would agree with you on the honda part. But because this is a mopar sight I have to say it. ARE YOU KIDING ME!!!!
Ha, actually, that's the reaction that i have when i read somebody on a vintage Mopar site say "take fuel comsumption into consideration..." Now THAT's a joke!!:-D

I am going to throw in for the /6.
They have reasable power, and if TUNED right, excellent mileage.

For power, they are down to a V8. This is a given. But let's give them a reasonable chance in this fight:
  • They are down in displacement, 30% less cubes then a 318, and 42% less then 360.
  • Atrocious compression....Rumored to be around 7.5 to 1 most of the life of the /6
  • terrible head, shrouded valves
  • Freakishly bad intake system

With that in mind, were someone to come out with a stroker, bump compression, do something (Fuel injection) to deal with the intake, and even TOUCH the heads, the /6 is now able to stand in the ring.

My proposal, (and personal plan). The great equalizer (TURBO)

I intend to try to eliminate some of the above strikes against the /6.

Displacement is too expensive to cure.
Compression is perfect for boost, and live on pump gas
Head... will have to wait. Maybe a JY head, for porting, deshroud valves, etc.
Intake system..according to some is better under boost. Solves much of the fuel distribution issues.

So add a vote for the /6. I will keep everyone updated as progress is made. I need to get parts put together, figuring about 500.00 or so, doing most of the work myself.

I am going to throw in for the /6.
They have reasable power, and if TUNED right, excellent mileage.

For power, they are down to a V8. This is a given. But let's give them a reasonable chance in this fight:
  • They are down in displacement, 30% less cubes then a 318, and 42% less then 360.
  • Atrocious compression....Rumored to be around 7.5 to 1 most of the life of the /6
  • terrible head, shrouded valves
  • Freakishly bad intake system
With that in mind, were someone to come out with a stroker, bump compression, do something (Fuel injection) to deal with the intake, and even TOUCH the heads, the /6 is now able to stand in the ring.

My proposal, (and personal plan). The great equalizer (TURBO)

I intend to try to eliminate some of the above strikes against the /6.

Displacement is too expensive to cure.
Compression is perfect for boost, and live on pump gas
Head... will have to wait. Maybe a JY head, for porting, deshroud valves, etc.
Intake system..according to some is better under boost. Solves much of the fuel distribution issues.

So add a vote for the /6. I will keep everyone updated as progress is made. I need to get parts put together, figuring about 500.00 or so, doing most of the work myself.

yet again, Very cool. Let us know what happens...and where you get the turbo from.

Phil

I'm having fun with my /6, three on the tree 71 swinger.

Why change a good thing?

yeah, if I were gonna put a v/8 in it, I'd go with a 360 crate motor and be done with it, but it's not worth the hassle since I just want something cool to drive around in.

I'm saving the killer motor for the 67 notchback, and the dart /6 is just what i needed to relieve the stress of not having a cool Mopar to cruise around in.

I too have to throw in for the slant. The 225 slant gives up almost 100 cubes to
a 318. Yes a stock slant has about 7.5 to 7.8 compression. Most later 318's
(what you can realistically find in the junkyards or trader paper) are in the low
8's for compression. At Summit a set of speedpro pistons that would give 9.25
compression with a 57cc head are $49 EACH. I bumped the compression on my
slant to 9.2 for $90 with a head shave.

Besides, if you get beaten with a slant, nobody brags that they beat an old
slant.

Granted slants are a sickness that will grow on you. If I needed to go faster
then the slant would take me, I have a 440 laying on the garage floor, and
360's are REALLY cheap at the junkyard.

TopHat

Just curious - why do you say that? Cause they were built for high performance from the gitgo?

I say that for a couple reasons....

1. they are very hard to find
  2. they are expensive
  3. they were built for a little different style of driving ( stock)
  4. Not everyone can get one.../6, 318, 360 can be had by anyone and everyone

Granted slants are a sickness that will grow on you. If I needed to go faster
then the slant would take me, I have a 440 laying on the garage floor, and
360's are REALLY cheap at the junkyard.

TopHat

So you are saying that if you wanted to go faster or have more horse power, you would opt for the 360. Interesting.

thats what I mean by the 360 being Ideal for power...

a /6 is a great driver...

a 318 is a great driver...

nothing against these engines all have a porpose

But swaping a /6 for a 318???? i would keep the /6 I agree.

leanning tower of power is sure well suported here :)

Phil

If it's a daily driver, park it and buy a Honda if you're worried about gas milage. I don't care what engine you have, if you have a heavy (by comparison to modern compacts and such) old car with old technology - you're NEVER going to get good gas milage. Sure, the \6 gets better milage than it's 8cly cousins, but not compared to late-model compacts and mid-size cars. Sorry, but if that's your primary concern, I would say don't make it your every day driver. If you insist on using it that way, there's no debate - use the \6 and get better milage than the V8s.

I dunno, it seems like modern cars are heavier than old ones. At least similarly sized. I bet if you compared an old Dart or Valiant to a modern mid-size car, the modern one would be a couple hundred pounds heavier. I say if you want mileage, get a slant-6, a factory Jeep straight-6 EFI setup (or not, might be a bit tough to adapt, I don't know), and a turbo from the 80's turbo-4 cars. It would have a good amount of power and the mileage would hardly be any worse than an NA slant-6.

I dunno, it seems like modern cars are heavier than old ones. At least similarly sized. I bet if you compared an old Dart or Valiant to a modern mid-size car, the modern one would be a couple hundred pounds heavier. I say if you want mileage, get a slant-6, a factory Jeep straight-6 EFI setup (or not, might be a bit tough to adapt, I don't know), and a turbo from the 80's turbo-4 cars. It would have a good amount of power and the mileage would hardly be any worse than an NA slant-6.

Yeah but you have to compare class to class. a dart is a compact! not a mid size

I dunno, it seems like modern cars are heavier than old ones. At least similarly sized. I bet if you compared an old Dart or Valiant to a modern mid-size car, the modern one would be a couple hundred pounds heavier.

Yep, My Dart is 3250 LB,

mustang gt 3600 LB,
mustang gt 500 3900 LB,
new gto 3770 LB,
Dodge Charger 4200 LB,
Dodge Chalinger 4100 LB.
Corrvet 3300 LB.

I vote for the slant. Why? Because I like to be different. I go to the track, or a car show, and I have more people asking about my slant cars, then I ever had with a V-8 car. My 66 Valiant is running mid 13's in the 1/4 (225 slant)with an investment of about $1,500, including, buying the car. All three of my slants run in the 13's, but I do have more money in the other two.

-
Back