/6 electronic distributors

-

70aarcuda

Master Hoader of SBM
Legendary Member
Reaction score
what electronic distributors are available for /6s...someone asked me that today and I dont have a clue about a /6.

Second part to ?....what is the cheap route....?

New or used, they are all the same. I picked up a new one on ebag and I would think any auto parts store, just ask for a 75 duster /6 dizzy.
If it will be for racing they make a advance spring kit for them

yeah..going some searching...this is for a 1970 pickup truck...nothing fancy wants to get rid of points.

I got mine from the parts store. Just asked for a dizzy for a 74 Swinger. I had the wiring from a parts car but it did not have the motor. And you will need the wiring. U could go to a junk yard and get both. You can get the wiring from a V-8 car/truck as well.

You will need the 4 or 5 wire sub harness that attaches to top of spark controller (orange box) if using one, or a very reliable GM HEI conversion can be used in place of orange box which does not require special harness. Where you are installing in a truck, the advance curve may need to be changed from what a car would use. Trucks are heaver, push more air when up to speed, placing bigger load on engine so curve needs to be slower to come on, and full advance should be held back several degrees from where a light car’s engine would like it to prevent detonation.

There is a lot of info on timing curves for /6 powered cars & trucks over on slantsix dot org for one’s reading pleasure, and probably on this site as well.

Also one of the members, Duster Idiot, at /6 can build you a custom curved electronic distributor if you don’t want to mess with finding correct mechanical advance governor, replacement springs, and dealing with all the trial & error recurving your own part takes.

http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=367329&highlight=recurve+price#367329

http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=363069&highlight=recurve+price#363069

How about one of those H.E.I. conversions?
I can remember some people on here saying that it's the way to go because the wiring is easy etc.
I don't know who sells them though.

You can do it yourself. Some people insist you must use a modern "E" core coil, but you don't HAVE to unless you are running a monster engine. My 318, mild cam and 4bbl runs the stock coil, no ballast. Easy to hook up

The module must be grounded through the mounting screws. Distributor connector must be hooked up in this polarity, go by the drawing. Use the heat sink grease and mount on a heat sink. Actually mine is mounted on a flat area of the firewall, no trouble through two summers

zu5qn8.jpg

The above is the older simpler module

Trailbeast (on here) will sell you a conversionkit using the newer module, which can be TIMING CONTROLLED if you decide to later

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=211828

How about one of those H.E.I. conversions?
I can remember some people on here saying that it's the way to go because the wiring is easy etc.
I don't know who sells them though.

I make and sell the kits for the HEI conversion.
All it takes is to hook ignition power to the coil, and connect the two distributor pickup leads to the distributor.
They can mount almost anywhere in the engine compartment.

Here's mine installed in my 318 Dart, and you can order them at www.classichei.com

Just saw your post Del.
Thank you

The ecoil produces a spark that is way more powerfull, allowing you to open the plug gaps to aprox .045.
This spark makes better power, idles better, starts better (Cold and Hot) and gets better fuel economy due to a more efficient burn.
Everyone who installed one agrees.

Attachments

• installed.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 266
As MeMike, I got a new electronic distributor off ebay $40, but w/o internal plate & pickup. I got the pickup from rockauto.com for $6, but had to borrow the internal baseplate from my points distributor (fits). I see rock has a complete rebuilt 74 distributor for $39. You might check there if same PN until the last slant six's, but any should fit. Be careful on the double bullet connector, since there are some pickups in the supply chain w/ short male pins. A regular appliance style connector also doesn't quite fit and will give erratic operation.

I wouldn't fool with the 70's Chrysler ignition box. The GM HEI is more powerful, more reliable, less expensive, and easier to wire. I used the 8-pin HEI w/ GM coil as TrailBeast shows, but junkyard parts cheap, plus knock sensor and module (later control upgrades). Any 85-95 GM V-8 pickup or 85-93 V-8 car (TBI engine). Even easier would be the "ready-to-run" HEI distributor (ebay), but they currently make for all Mopar engines but a slant.

thanks guys.....after posting this I did some searching...and realized that mopar did put electronic distributor in /6....and either the guy needs to fit one in the wrecking yard or buy one from parts store...and the wiring harness and module would be the same as a V8...

-
Back