6 pack manifold for w2's

-

wesgriffiths

Reaction score
Is there anyone that makes an 6 pack intake manifold for w2 heads or is there enough material in a regular manifold to open the runners up to match the w2's

u will need to build up material around the intake...and redrill the 4 bolt holes around the ports as the standard head and the W2 bolt spacing is different

I have seen pics of a modified LD340 for use with W-2 heads, but I don't recall where. Finding them will give you a better idea of how much welding would be required. These were used when the W-2 heads originally came out for testing, before any company produced W-2 intakes, and then on the prototype Little Red Express. But the W-2's never made it into production on the trucks.

the indy mod man intake has the six pack option for w2 spacing.

I am currently working on a six pack manifold to use with w2 heads. The bolt holes need to be welded up and moved to the w2 spacing. Since my w2 heads are max ported i welded alot of extra material to the runners to open up the intake to match the heads. It is mostly on the top surface that needs a bunch of weld to raise the roof.

I did see a picture of the spacing somewhere but i cannot find it at the moment.

W2 excellent flowing heads....Mopar 340 6 pac intake...lousy flowing intake....

I ran a W2 Strip Dominator on X heads, bolted right up...?Wasnt the best port match but it ran great.I then traded a guy the W2 and a Performer for a standard Strip Dominator at a swap meet as he had some W2's for sale too

Thought crossed my mind too.... seems the six pak was a pretty low rpm deal.

It's no race intake but it's the best stock LA intake Chrysler ever used. The ported mopar 6 pack I'm using with mechanical Holley carbs around 1100cfms is stronger than the holley strip dominator/750 hp carb that was on there. It would make a cool stealth engine if the W2 heads look stock and you could get the intake welded and looking stock, the intake would still be able to take a good SB in a A body into the hi 10's low 11's and still look way cooler than a 4 bbl.

The 6 pack intake can flow some pretty good numbers and has the ability to produce enough power to get a car into the 11's. The problem with the intake is a multi point issue of it being a dual plane with tall carb heights and sharp angles within the intake. Some ports can flow a good deal more than others. Some flow poorly for serious power. Porting the intake can help but there isn't a lot you can do for it due to the limitations of it being a dual plane.

Current cylinder heads like the Edelbrock's can be ported to out flow the intake when the opposite should be the case. The intake should out flow the heads. Often this is the normal limitation to most strip rides.

A good exams of this is the old Holley strip Dominator or the MP single plane intake. They were designed when the best head was the stock head. Swap out the intake for an Indy single plane and power goes up and goes up well.

The last issue of the 6 pack is the carb capacity. The 3, 2bbl.'s flow only so much air. Do not be confused by there rating since there rated differently than a 4bbl. carb is. The mechanical carb upgrade helps a lot.

A 6pack can operate well in it's 2500-6500 listed range. Stretching it out a few more RPM's is possible. But not really designed for it. It is a power house for sure. You can really get these systems to sing. For track use only, I think a 4bbl. Would not only be simpler to use and operate but also tune and not worry about in the long term.

If I sound a little anti 6pack, just a FYI, I'm building one now with 11's in mind. It will sit on ported Edelbrock heads on a 360 backed by a 4spd and 4.10's bound for the street. A Lunati solid roller will be employed to take advantage of the heads flow capablities as much as possible.

I know the bottle neck is the intake.

Look at the Indy Mod Man intakes. I believe they have one for the W2/360-1s that can use the 6bbl top.

I'm just looking for the cool look of the 6 pack intake, I have a dedicated race car so not too worried about the power

Then your really faced with two ways to go about it.
1. Modify the intake to match the W2 heads, or
2. Shelf the W2's in favor of a standard head like an Edelbrock, Pro Comp or other like head.
While it will not flow as much as a ported W2 would, I think @ 280+ CFM, the power it is capable of should be good for the street. They are capable of 550HP.
Sell/swap the W2's for ...... To run a 6 pack?

the indy mod man is a single plane intake from what i have researched
the stock 6 pack manifold is a dual plane style. For street usage the dual plane is best. This is from research gathered on this website.

I believe nothing says muscle car like multi carbs and 4 speeds. The rest are for grandma. :)

-
Back