/6 random thrown rod

-

beebeeri000

Rest-O-Moder
Reaction score
hey guys so i took my '73 duster to jiffylube to get the fluids changed cause here its really wet and rainy so i didnt really wanna change it myself.Before i went there it was running good and the oil ws about 1000 miles old but i wanted to change it co i could have the oil change sticker to remind me. then i started driving down twords my friends house to pick them up and when i started getting a little bit down the road it started knocking a little bit which worried me cause it had been running great up until that poing (with the exception of when it was cold). so i was trying to find somewhere to pull over then it started nocking really bad and as i was pulling into the nearest parking lot it died.so i started push it and luckily a guy helped me push it mostley out of the way. so i called AAA and arranged a tow that took 3+ hours to get to me . this meant i had a bit of time to just sit. eventually an older guy who had worked on a crazy amount of a bodies came over asing me what happened. so i explained everything to him and he check it out. he had me crank it and it accidentally started and it sound bad loud metal on metal. he was the one who said it was a thrown rod and when i told him that i had just got my oil and everything changed at jiffy lube and only drove 8 miles since then he told me to call them up. he said that if the oil filter is messed up it will throw rods. so i called up jiffy lube and the main guy there came out and looked at it and called his boss. he agreed that this was crazy because it wasnt acting up before but than this happened. so theyre going to call me on monday and take it to their shop to look at it closer and see if it was their fault. well i guess what im wondering is has anyone else had this happen or heard of this happening? i have a second engine and trans but neither are in running order so this really sucks.

Years ago, back when I lived in NJ, worked at a motor shop. One of our customers was under contract to "fix" Iffy Lubes mistakes...He ended up having to sub-contract out some of the work as he could not keep up. No rebuilds, just remove the dead motor and replace it with a wrecking yard one. But this was a long time ago....pretty sure back then Iffy Lube had there own line of filters....and apparently most of them were the cause of all the problems. A buddy in AZ went to them once...got a few miles down the road and had a locked motor. He could not help but notice the oil trail behind his car. Took a walk....right where the trail started he found his drain plug....stripped...

Tough lesson learned. This is exactly why I still do all of my own maintenance, including oil changes.

One of our car club members learned the same thing on the way to MMW last year. Previous day he had taken his car to a quicky oil change place. Half way between Cincinnati and Indianapolis, we stopped for a break. Within 10 minutes he had at least a 1' diameter leak under his car. They had stripped the oil plug and didn't say anything.

Can you get the older guy who stopped and helped you to look at it also and verify that the issue was Iffy Lube's fault or not? Don't expect to necessarily get a 'fair trial' from them; not that they are evil, but they have all the incentive in the world to find out that it was not their fault. You need someone one your side. Sorry this happened!

Damn,that sucks. I basically began my learning curve on cars when I was 15 because of much the same thing. Learned that it's far better to do the work yourself. I hope you get some satisfaction towards a replacement or a repair!

yars back I had a " real" job, a company truck. had oil change at a Goodyear store. headed ot Nashville from n w Missouri early that a m. pulling into Nashville bout 5 p m , oil light comes on.... stopped and pulled digsick.... nothing!!! they had failed to check to make sure the old gasket from the old oil filter was still on that filter.... LOL put another 80,000 mi before it before it was sent back to the lease co!! glad it wasn't my truck!!!!! LOL
best to do our own maintanance if possible!!???

My brother worked at a Goodyear where they routinely sent cars out with no oil. They got good at motor swaps. There are people out there that could screw up a wet dream.

thanks guys yea from now on the only ones im letting work on my cars are gonna be me and my close friends to help. i hate the fact that places like this can do mostly one this day i and day out then you hear there horror stories about how they screwed up. and when they guy from jiffy lube came out it was a bit past the full marker on oil and we took pictures and documented it. also i cant get the guy that told me it was a thrown rod as he was just guy walking by and i forgot to get his phone number because i was busy with AAA.

Sanity check...did they put any oil in? Assumeing they changed the oil when they really drained it and let you drive it off.
Id still expext a /6 go more than a couple miles. Bolt or gradue in the bottom end maybe? Sounds like they ruined your day for sure.

yea i heard thrown rod and rod knock. im not sure what one it is cause ive never heard anything like this before.

Sounds like the rod is not yet thrown and through the side of the block. Maybe just a rod bearing decided to take a dump. I'd at least drop the pan and check for that. You "might" be able to get get lucky by just replacing that one bearing. Stranger things have occurred with the slant.

^^^ Yep, I was gonna say... if you have another engine of the same year series (up to '76 or so, or afterwards when they changed to the cast crank), then maybe you will be able to swap in another rod and piston from the spare. You gotta pull the head to R&R the rod and piston, and do some other stuff like remove the ring ridge, but....

And you could even drop out one crank and put in the other; or just change all the bearings from underneath. You can get fresh bearing sets pretty cheap on eBay.

Find out if Iffy Lube messed up and then go from there. What is wrong with the spare engine? When the present knocked, was it one single knock at a steady repetitive rate, or was it a collection and clatter of different knocks? If one, then probably it is just one bearing.

Any oil leaking out anywhere?

The problem with my other engine is that it's just town down right now and needs to be rebuilt. It has a loud multiple knock that sounded loud and like metal on metal. My friend works at a shop so I might see if iffy lune screws me over ima try to see if I can get some time on it and hopefully it'll be in good condition.

BTW, do you know what weight of oil Iffy Lube put in your engine? Too heavy a wieght could make it difficult for a worn pump to pick up. If you work on the engine, then make sure and check the oil pump drive gear.

i asked the guy and he didnt know and i told them as they were filling it that the chiltons says 10w30 or 10w40. how to i check the oil pump drive gear?

You probably have spotted the oil pump; it is externally mounted down on the passenger side of the block, back near the bell housing, and the oil filter mounts to it. You remove the 6 bolts on the outer periphery (there are 5 mounting bolts on later ones; don't remove the 5 bolts on the cover) and the pump pulls out; often it sticks pretty good and you have to pry at it. The gear is on the pump; read up on the article on www.slantsix.org about pump gears to see pix of a worn gear.

I only bring it up as the article will tell you that the pump gears are a bit weakish; too heavy an oil on a worn gear could strip it. Then no oil pumps, and the damage occurs. Odd that the guy did not know what weight of oil was put in; I'd be all over that. These days, a lighter oil would be most common, so not the likely culprit but just something to keep in the back of your mind as you go through this. Filter seems more likley.

Odd that the guy did not know what weight of oil was put in; I'd be all over that. These days, a lighter oil would be most common, so not the likely culprit but just something to keep in the back of your mind as you go through this.

Took my truck to a "quick" oil change place one time, as it was pouring cats and dogs, and I was leaving on a trip the next day. I told them what filter I wanted (common large Mopar type filter), and 10-30 oil. I watched while they put the small Toyota type filter on and 5-30 oil. When they were finished and they told me to start the truck, I refused. Made them put on the filter I wanted, and drain the 5-30 and install the 10-30.
Them monkeys just don't pay attention.
PS: They also did not grease the ball joints, but did do the tie rod ends, and even the torsion bar anchors.

brother in laws honda got a stripped drain plug from Jiffy lube, leaked until I put in a cutting plug as a repair. Seems JL used an impact to put it on and cross threaded it. Wife took our Breeze in for a oil and chassis lube. CEL went on 2 minutes out the gate, returned it and found the fuel sender wire was disconnected..and there was a strong gas smell. The tank had ruptured and split a seam up top! Coincidence that all this happened a mile outside our JL service? Chrysler replaced the tank under a recall TSB. Never again.

BTW, question to the OP: Have you noted the filter number and looked it up to see if it is right for the car?

I have a friend that is banned from working at Iffy lube. He was working while in college and the "secret" policy was to charge people for an oil change and not change to oil. Or sell them a filter and not put one on. He felt guilty and turned them in. He lost his job and that franchise location was shut down but he is never to work for them again.

ok sorry for not replying sooner, i got real busy.i just got a call from jiffy lube this morning and they said that they did everything right so theyre not going to help nor inspect it . idk what oil filter they put in but they did say they put in 10w-40 into it. so idk what to do now.

I think what I would do is send them a registered letter, return receipt, stating all the particulars. Also tell them that since they will not inspect the vehicle, that you will have an independant shop, inspect the engine and if necessary, remove and take it apart. If the shop determines it was due to their mistake, you will contact an attorney.

-
Back