6 to 8 swaps

-

DartorDemon

Banned
Reaction score
So, i found a fairly nice duster in my area but its a 6cyl. The price is right, but i know i'll need to swap out suspension components to accomodate a V8 right?

Are these parts readily available or would i have to pick on ebay/CL/etc to get the V8 brakes/suspension??

All you really need is torsion bars and a k frame a drive shaft and a befier rear end preferalby an 8 3/4 you can always get the k frame adapters if you dont wanna get a new k frame. but its essential to get the new drivesaft the v8 will twist that dinky 6 in a heartbeat. i kinda wanted to put one in and twist it just to show my cars mean lol you may need more but thats all i know of that you need

So, i found a fairly nice duster in my area but its a 6cyl. The price is right, but i know i'll need to swap out suspension components to accomodate a V8 right?

Are these parts readily available or would i have to pick on ebay/CL/etc to get the V8 brakes/suspension??

-You'll need front disc brakes, get them on FABO
-The V8 swap can be done with whatever K Member you now have, http://www.engine-swaps.com/ and sometimes the mounts come up here.
- If you go to an 8 3/4" you'll need a shorter drive shaft cuss the 8 3/4 is meatier out front.
- Your current torsion bars should be replaced with .890" or larger, available in tons of places.
- you should invest in a front sway bar, same as above.

-You'll need front disc brakes, get them on FABO
-The V8 swap can be done with whatever K Member you now have, http://www.engine-swaps.com/ and sometimes the mounts come up here.
- If you go to an 8 3/4" you'll need a shorter drive shaft cuss the 8 3/4 is meatier out front.
- Your current torsion bars should be replaced with .890" or larger, available in tons of places.
- you should invest in a front sway bar, same as above.

awesome, i was actually shying away from the I6 mopars because i didnt know how involved the V8 swap is. I know in mustangs 6-8 is kind of a pita.

All you absolutely have to have is motor mount adapters and a trans for a v8.
All that other stuff is nice but not absolute necessity.

It's all relativly easy. All parts are pretty much bolt and go.

as for the disc brakes and rear end and all that other stuff. It all depends what V8 you are putting in it, how you want to drive it and what your plans are.

There were lots of cars that came with V8's manual drumbs, abd NOT an 8 3/4. Just my 2 cents.

But if you are going to drive it hard, your car is only as strong as your weakest link.

I started the post below reguarding BB swaps. There is alot of different ways to go about it there. I beleive it goes into SB swap as well, with costs, and parts you need. If you are putting a 318 in it, and just doing a basic swap, I could see it being done for well under $1000

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=41762

Your not going to put a chevy in it are you? ;)

but of course, infact i was going to do an SBC w/ a ford tranny, and a toyota rear end, with some honda seats and a hyundai steering wheel. :bootysha: I figure that i should spread the love around when i post here.

Anyways, i'm probably gonna do a 318-360.(would like to do a BB, but then working on it might suck). Then do somewhat of a more resto-mod interior and try to setup the suspensions so its fun around town and could maybe handle some autox

the Duster that you found....Reguardless of what swap you want to do, Just be sure that it is a really solod car. Body, and sheet metal repairs are the worst, and can kill any expenses for any typ of dream one might have.

Phil

the Duster that you found....Reguardless of what swap you want to do, Just be sure that it is a really solod car. Body, and sheet metal repairs are the worst, and can kill any expenses for any typ of dream one might have.

Phil

One of the benefits of living in california. This one is clean with a bit of surface rust and small(softball sized) dent in one of the quarter panels. Its perfect for the time being i think as i'm not building anything close to a show car.

All you really need is torsion bars and a k frame a drive shaft and a befier rear end preferalby an 8 3/4 you can always get the k frame adapters if you dont wanna get a new k frame. but its essential to get the new drivesaft the v8 will twist that dinky 6 in a heartbeat. i kinda wanted to put one in and twist it just to show my cars mean lol you may need more but thats all i know of that you need

There is no difference between a \6 drive shaft and a v8 drive shaft in an A-body. If you swap the the rear end and/or swap in a 727 tranny the drive shaft will need to be shortened but no need to replace what you have until you start making some serious HP.

I have been using the \6 drive shaft for 35k miles now behind my 370 HP 360 which is driven hard and it is holding up just fine.

The things I replaced when I swapped from \6 to 360 were;

* K-member (or you can use adapter mounts).
* I swapped in disks in the front, the 9" drums are inadequate even with the \6.
* I swapped in an 8.25" rear end which also came with 2.5" by 10" drums. This required the drive shaft to be shortened 1.5".
* I swapped in .890" diameter torsion bars. The \6 bars are inadequate for even a \6.
* I swapped in a V8 radiator.
* I had a 4sp so I needed a new bell housing, clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel and had to modify the z-bar to fit the bigger bell housing. If you have an auto you will need a v8 automatic and if you have a 360 you will need to get a external balance flex-plate and use the same torque converter or get an external balance converter.
* I had a A-body doner v8 car so all the brackets, pulleys and accessory items swapped directly onto the 360 I built (the doner was a 318 ). I used the starter that was on the \6. I replaced the hoses but used the p/n's of the upper and lower hoses from the doner car for new ones.
* And of course you will need a new exhaust system. I had a built \6 with 6 into 2 headers and dual exhaust so I only need to modify mine to adapt to the v8 headers.

Some of these items may not be necessary to physically make the car mobile but I would consider them all necessary if you plan to drive the car more than back and forth to the end of the driveway.

I did this swap over a couple of years. All the suspension, brake and cooling updates were made while the \6 was still in the car and the car was never off the road for more than a couple of days at a time. I had the 360 already to go from Air cleaner to oil pan with rebuilt suspension attached on the doner k-member. When I actually did the motor swap I started on a Saturday morning and took the car for its first drive with the V8late Sunday afternoon. I would recomend you take the same approach that way the car is available to use verse ripping the motor out and have the car sitting for months or years trying to track down all the little parts you will need but no one ever tells you about.

I agree on the /6 rad being replaced. Even more so if the v-8 goiong in has some performance parts sprinkled on it.

Mr. Tires is right otherwise. DGC is further proof.

I myself did a /6 - 318 swap useing the adptive mounts. When I swaped in the 8-1/4 rear to replace the 7-1/4 rear, I needed to shorten the driveshaft a few inchs.

I used the OE /6 suspension and brakes for a long while before I upgraded them. I used 11 inch drums from a Cordoba and OE '74 Duster discks up front.
Muuuuuuch better!

The things I replaced when I swapped from \6 to 360 were;

* K-member (or you can use adapter mounts).
* I swapped in disks in the front, the 9" drums are inadequate even with the \6.
* I swapped in an 8.25" rear end which also came with 2.5" by 10" drums. This required the drive shaft to be shortened 1.5".
* I swapped in .890" diameter torsion bars. The \6 bars are inadequate for even a \6.
* I swapped in a V8 radiator.
* I had a 4sp so I needed a new bell housing, clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel and had to modify the z-bar to fit the bigger bell housing. If you have an auto you will need a v8 automatic and if you have a 360 you will need to get a external balance flex-plate and use the same torque converter or get an external balance converter.
* I had a A-body doner v8 car so all the brackets, pulleys and accessory items swapped directly onto the 360 I built (the doner was a 318 ). I used the starter that was on the \6. I replaced the hoses but used the p/n's of the upper and lower hoses from the doner car for new ones.
* And of course you will need a new exhaust system. I had a built \6 with 6 into 2 headers and dual exhaust so I only need to modify mine to adapt to the v8 headers.

Some of these items may not be necessary to physically make the car mobile but I would consider them all necessary if you plan to drive the car more than back and forth to the end of the driveway.

I did this swap over a couple of years. All the suspension, brake and cooling updates were made while the \6 was still in the car and the car was never off the road for more than a couple of days at a time. I had the 360 already to go from Air cleaner to oil pan with rebuilt suspension attached on the doner k-member. When I actually did the motor swap I started on a Saturday morning and took the car for its first drive with the V8late Sunday afternoon. I would recomend you take the same approach that way the car is available to use verse ripping the motor out and have the car sitting for months or years trying to track down all the little parts you will need but no one ever tells you about.

Very cool. And definitely gonna get all the engine parts before i do anything. maybe start with the basic stuff i can easily swap in. I live in an apartment complex right now and my folks(err mom) doesnt want to see a car in the driveway/garage for a long period of time. Plus, whats the point of buying a project if i cant drive it while i build it.

Very cool. And definitely gonna get all the engine parts before i do anything. maybe start with the basic stuff i can easily swap in. I live in an apartment complex right now and my folks(err mom) doesnt want to see a car in the driveway/garage for a long period of time. Plus, whats the point of buying a project if i cant drive it while i build it.
I live in an apartment complex, too. I rented a big storage unit and did the contstruction work on the Demon in there. It also gave me a place to put the big greasy stuff like the engine, transmission, and rear axle. The same greasy storage quickly evolved into secure storage of a rebuilt engine with lots of new shiny parts and cop car wheels with new tires.

I built up a K-frame with the engine, transmission, steering, and suspension attached since I was changing them all. I dropped the old stuff out on a dolly and wheeled it out from under the car. I emptied the dolly, reloaded it with my new stuff, wheeled it under the car, lowered the body and bolted it up.

DGC333 gave you a great parts list and some good advice. There are some areas that are not clear and or choices you will need to make.

* K-member (or you can use adapter mounts). Si.
* I swapped in disks in the front, the 9" drums are inadequate even with the \6. All Dusters through the 72 model year had a 5x4" bolt pattern (SBP) with LH threads on the drivers' side. Starting with the 73 model year, all wheels had RH thread studs, disk brake cars had a 5x4½" bolt pattern (BBP), /6 cars retained the 4" pattern. Although there is nothing wrong with the SBP disk brakes, your choice of wheel sizes are limited. Most, me included, go to the BBP brakes which were shared with the 68-70 B-body.

* I swapped in an 8.25" rear end which also came with 2.5" by 10" drums. This required the drive shaft to be shortened 1.5". Match the wheel bolt pattern with the front unless you like carrying two spare tires. There is some aftermarket support for the 8¼ in the way of gear ratios; not so the 7¼. If you grab the 8¼ from a Duster, Dart Sport, or Demon, try to get the driveshaft, too. It's save having to shorten the shaft.

If push comes to shove, you can use a 7¼ rear with a mild V8 and an automatic. I wouldn't recommend it with a stick or if you're going for some ¼ mile action.

* I swapped in .890" diameter torsion bars. The \6 bars are inadequate for even a \6. This is a matter of taste and preference. A soft bar with very firm damping produces a compliant ride and gives good control. The soft bar will be most effective if you have a front anti-sway bar. Otherwise you're putting your roll control on the torsion bar. If you're going canyon carving or autocrossing, go to larger bars.
* I swapped in a V8 radiator. Yep. More power=more heat.
* I had a 4sp so I needed a new bell housing, clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel and had to modify the z-bar to fit the bigger bell housing. If you have an auto you will need a v8 automatic and if you have a 360 you will need to get a external balance flex-plate and use the same torque converter or get an external balance converter. On the AT car, you'll need to have a working kickdown linkage. too. Study the donor car closely.
* And of course you will need a new exhaust system. I had a built \6 with 6 into 2 headers and dual exhaust so I only need to modify mine to adapt to the v8 headers. Need A-body exhaust manifolds or headers that will fit the A-body. There are some engine back kits that make this easy if you want headers.

I was in and out in two months working mostly weekends and a few hours after work from time to time. Having the car in a rented facility minimized the need to always be able to drive it after I've been working on it. I had a plan with sub-tasks and scheduled completion dates. I did as much as I could building up brakes in the apartment, for example, before I ever rented the unit. I also cleaned a lot of parts before I got going, too. Once I moved into the storage unit, I stayed with my schedule and actually got more done than I had planned. For instance, while the original engine was out, I painted the engine compartment. Needless to say, the car did not run that next week while the paint cured.

At the end of the two months, it went to the body shop for painting and next to the exhaust shop for the pipes.

Tips:
1. Get all of the parts first. You'll miss a few in spite of your best efforts. I did, at any rate.
2. If you rent a storage unit, be sure you have access to electricity. Public Storage builds their facilities where you would have to run a cord to the office to get a power outlet. I don't recommend them for that reason.
3. Have a good supply of water, oil dry, and hazmat containment supplies. Storage facility managers take a dim view of liquids running out from under their spaces. It you're doing it, there's no hiding it.

One last thing to note is if you are lookin ginto a SB, or BB V8. The information above is good for a SB, but a BB, is a bit more tricky with some added expenses.

One last thing to note is if you are lookin ginto a SB, or BB V8. The information above is good for a SB, but a BB, is a bit more tricky with some added expenses.

big block would be ideal, but then i would sacrifice handling and it would be more expensive. I'm probably gonna stick with a 318/340/360(whichever i can get for the most reasonable price).

big block would be ideal, but then i would sacrifice handling and it would be more expensive. I'm probably gonna stick with a 318/340/360(whichever i can get for the most reasonable price).

318 is most reasonable price...

318 360 is most plentiful.

If money is an issue, stay away from 340.

I'd say best bang for your buck is a 360. lots of options for you there. Big block is quite a bit more expensive to do. I know that some fabo members disagrea with me on that. But coming from someone that has done a BB, I know how much less a SB install would have cost.

Phil

-
Back