63 Dart bezels and 3D printing?

Is there a future in 3D printing resto-mod parts?

• No, please recycle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
-
First test print. Only about an inch to an inch and a half tall. I did the standard resolution (0.008" steps). I can do a higher resolution (0.005" steps) so it smooths out.

20191231_154144.jpg

I'm waiting on a new Anycubic i3 Mega printer. Should be here next Thursday or Friday. I can't wait to start printing things and maybe trying my hand at creating some custom stuff. I'm thinking like some of the hard to find stuff for my 64 GT. The Anycubic i3 Mega had really good reviews, originally I was going with the Creality Ender 3 Pro, but the reviews for the Anycubic were better so we will see. I think they all have basically the same parts, just different companies building them.

I'm waiting on a new Anycubic i3 Mega printer. Should be here next Thursday or Friday. I can't wait to start printing things and maybe trying my hand at creating some custom stuff. I'm thinking like some of the hard to find stuff for my 64 GT. The Anycubic i3 Mega had really good reviews, originally I was going with the Creality Ender 3 Pro, but the reviews for the Anycubic were better so we will see. I think they all have basically the same parts, just different companies building them.
Looks like a nice unit. Look forward to seeing what car parts you build with it.

First test print. Only about an inch to an inch and a half tall. I did the standard resolution (0.008" steps). I can do a higher resolution (0.005" steps) so it smooths out.

View attachment 1715445950
looks good for that resolution. I've decided to co another way on my dash bezels. I'll solid bond layer 2 sheets of corian scrap I have and make this (2 sided piece) on the CNC for a model, then make a silicone mold I still have to edit in the rims to stop the round gauges from going straight through the corian.
round gauges for 66 dart 02.jpg
round gauges for 66 dart 01.jpg
round gauges for 66 dart.jpg

Perfect thanks.

How are headlight bezels coming?

Bezels are going slow. I'm on waiting list for my son's 3D printer. I think the design is very close. Now to tune in printing process, then comes the testing. I'll for sure post next print. Hopefully within next month or so. Thanks for asking.

Bezels are going slow. I'm on waiting list for my son's 3D printer. I think the design is very close. Now to tune in printing process, then comes the testing. I'll for sure post next print. Hopefully within next month or so. Thanks for asking.
Np. Good luck with it.

Hi, would you be willing to share those STL files, so that I can give it a shot printing them?

Yeah, when I looked into why I couldn't send him a PM, I found that info. So sad, he was way too young to go. That is really a shame.

Yeah, when I looked into why I couldn't send him a PM, I found that info. So sad, he was way too young to go. That is really a shame.

As I recall he used tinkercad to make the test model. It was just a test so there were some things you wouldn't want on a real piece like not enough resolution etc. I think he sent me the link. If he did and it still exists, I can send i to you later. I think your best bet would be to get a hold of an original and model it again though.

Ultimately something like this would be best used in a "lost pla" casting method. The materials used generally aren't the best for use on, or inside of a car.

That is what I was thinking also, use a filament that is soluble and make a mold out of it.

I have been using TinkerCad a lot and I was trying to figure out how to make the offset for the headlight rings. There are a lot of tricks to doing some of the design phases and I just don't have enough time to spend messing around with it. I thought that if someone already did the hard work, then I might be able to tweak it to work better.

That is what I was thinking also, use a filament that is soluble and make a mold out of it.

Lost pla is like lost wax. Just melt it out. I haven't done it but there are examples on the you tubes

-
Back