63 max wedge?

-
1963 '413'

There was 'never' a 1963 ~ 413 Max-Wedge

The 1963 '413' was found in either the Chrysler or the Dodge Truck.

Available Horsepower Ratings
* 340 HP ~ 4-Barrel
* 360 HP ~ 4-Barrel
* 390 HP ~ 2 x 4-Barrel w/Long Ram Intake {300-J}

Both the 340 HP and 360 HP '413' Engines came thru with
#2406516 Cylinder Heads, with 2.08" Intake and 1.60" Exhaust.

The 413/390 HP was the rare '300-J' Engine, and did come
thru with the special '300-J' Cylinder Heads {#2402557} which
had 1.74" Exhaust Valves and an opened up Exhaust Valve Seat
throat area.

Current Value of '413' Engine Components
* Engine Block {#2205 697} ................. $125 - $150
* Forged Rods {#1851 127} .................. $60 - $80
* Forged Steel Crankshaft {#2206 158}.. $100

Note: The {#2206158} Crankshaft is a good one, and has
specially-treated journals.

The Max Wedge in 63 was a 426 wedge. 4.25" bore, common with the 383.... should be much easier to find pistons for.

I myself am putting my Max heads on a 69 440 block that I picked up for a good price at a swap meet many years ago.... The block did not come with them...

I guess the 413, stage 1 was a 62 deal?????

1962 413 Maximum Performance Packages were called;

* Dodge 'Ramcharger'
* Plymouth 'Super Stock'

Many did call it the 413 Max-Wedge, and then later the
'Stage 1' when an improved version was introduced.

If it is not a 1962 casting date it is not a real max wedge 413 ,and is just about worthless period .it should also have valve relieves in the top of the cylinders for valve clearance .

I guess the 413, stage 1 was a 62 deal?????

Technically, there was no "Stage 1"...

It was first marketed as "Max Wedge"...

Then in 63 they came out with "Stage II", which then "implies" that 62 was stage I, but it didn't become Stage I until Stage II came out.....

But it was not "recognized" as Stage I by Chrysler....

If you can follow that logic.... :banghead:

But non-technically ---> 62 is "Stage I"....

So if the Max Wedge motors became "Stage" motors...

The guys who designed them were the experts, or "coaches" to guide the design...

So would that mean that they could be called "Stage Coaches"????

They did have a stage 1 in the beginning of 1963 with the 3447 carter carbs ,then in about may of 1963 came out with the stage 2 motors with the different 3705 larger carbs and some other goodies .

They did have a stage 1 in the beginning of 1963 with the 3447 carter carbs ,then in about may of 1963 came out with the stage 2 motors with the different 3705 larger carbs and some other goodies .

Any documentation or links?

I'm just interested in seeing...

It is just from having these cars for years ,The max Wedge cars I am speaking of are all 1963 426 CID engines they basically made two designs in 1963 the stage 1 and later that year the stage 2 with the larger carbs and some other changes ,In about march of 1963 they also went to the trunk mount batteries in the max wedge cars .

1963 Max-Wedge

Red64Maxmtr_zpsb347a702.jpg

It is just from having these cars for years ,The max Wedge cars I am speaking of are all 1963 426 CID engines they basically made two designs in 1963 the stage 1 and later that year the stage 2 with the larger carbs and some other changes ,In about march of 1963 they also went to the trunk mount batteries in the max wedge cars .

So were the 63 Stage I motors 413 or 426 cubic inches??? #-o

Then the Stage II were 426 only.... :???::???:

The 1962 Max wedges are all 413 CID ,and all the 1963 Max wedges are 426 CID They made both stage 1 and stage 2 .They made much more of the 426 stage 1 cars as compared to the 426 stage 2 cars ,because the stage 2 cars were released vey late in the year of 1963.

If your friends block started as an Industrial or Marine engine, it should have the AAQA mark cast into the right front face of the block. That would make it worth a couple of bucks to someone looking to restore or accurately clone a Max Wedge. Also, the 413 goes out to 426 with just a .070 cut. There are many piston choices at that size. I'd say you could have an interesting builder there if the price is right.

Just for now I maybe getting a '70 440 from him. Its almost complete and he said $300 for it. But yeah I'm definitely thinking bout buying the van load. The 3 in the back had cast cranks so im thinking there a later 70s but they'll still work

Wrong. It's not like all the rest. It's a pig in a poke. You cannot get affordable off the shelf pistons for it. Some of yall need to clean your ears out. If it's not a Max Wedge, it's a piece of ****. The 413 has an oddball bore size and cannot be bored to a popular one such as the 440. It is not thick enough. I'm not even gonna come close to givin the guy bad advice.

SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR A 440!

Sorry, I don't care what pistons cost. I don't care what cu in an engine is. The most important thing to me is the heads used. Not everyone needs or wants a 360 or 440, which are the only recommendations given here. You can make any MOPAR run great with the with good heads. You are correct that piston cost and availability are considerations. But they are only considerations, not the end all for some. When I build an engine, there are many considerations, I won't get into here. You and I know to look at the whole package and plan what we want using the considerations that are important for the intended use. I doubt you make too many missteps anymore, but I've made my share in the past. I would have to check to be sure It was not a Max Wedge before I passed on one for $200. In this case The OP sounds like he has made a good choice and will get a good 440 at a good price.

66~FS

Correct,

It also can depend on what you have in your 'private stash'.

I have a set of NOS 426 Wedge {11.0 -1} TRW Pistons, with Standard Bore.

I'd take that 413 for $200 in a 'flash', and bore it out +.070".

Some 413 parts are the same as a 440 such as crank 2206158 forged 413,426,440 also rods 2406770 413,426,440. I've bought cheap 413's to bone out for cranks and rods for 440's in the past, this is a cheap way to improve a cast crank 440 with out spending big bucks on aftermarket cranks. I'd offer him 200 for the parts if it has those numbers in it, hell the steel crank is worth that.Everything you'll ever want to know about big blocks is available for free at 440 source. com. Oh yeah buy the way there's no 413 max wedge in 63. 62 413 stage 1, 63 stage 2 426, 64 stage 3 426

Sorry, I don't care what pistons cost. I don't care what cu in an engine is. The most important thing to me is the heads used. Not everyone needs or wants a 360 or 440, which are the only recommendations given here. You can make any MOPAR run great with the with good heads. You are correct that piston cost and availability are considerations. But they are only considerations, not the end all for some. When I build an engine, there are many considerations, I won't get into here. You and I know to look at the whole package and plan what we want using the considerations that are important for the intended use. I doubt you make too many missteps anymore, but I've made my share in the past. I would have to check to be sure It was not a Max Wedge before I passed on one for $200. In this case The OP sounds like he has made a good choice and will get a good 440 at a good price.

Doubt I make many missteps? I just busted my *** comin down the step to the front porch the other night goin to get Kitty from work. hurt like hell. lol

1962 ~ 413 'Maximum Performance'

The engine block {Casting #1852029} was a Truck Block.

The 413 Truck Block, had a slightly thicker casting, and
higher Nickel content, and weighed 3% more than the
413 Passenger Block {Casting #2120529}

The block also had minor eye-brow relief-cuts in the Deck
to provide for clearance of the 1.88" Exhaust Valves.

Is that correct 'Rusty'

The ***** about these ^^^ cars was some had thin alum fenders,, and you could put arm/elbow,, and leg dents in them just trying to work on 'em,, never mind pulling a head..

My *** still hurts where my mentor kicked it,, for doing same...

1962 ~ 413 'Maximum Performance'

The engine block {Casting #1852029} was a Truck Block.

The 413 Truck Block, had a slightly thicker casting, and
higher Nickel content, and weighed 3% more than the
413 Passenger Block {Casting #2120529}

The block also had minor eye-brow relief-cuts in the Deck
to provide for clearance of the 1.88" Exhaust Valves.

Is that correct 'Rusty'

I guess if you say so. Didn't the Max Wedges have some kinda transistorized ignition option? It had a hot ignition box that was triggered off the points rather than having them actually do the firing. The was a guy in Milledgeville years ago who had one and it was all stock. It had that type ignition on it. Still had the point distributor but had a big heat sink box on it too.

-
Back