64 Barracuda slow going.

-

cudaguy36

Reaction score
Ok this is my first update since I joined and introduced myself.
The work on my 64' is very slow going because I dont get alot of opportunities to work on it since its kept in so-cal and I live in an apt in northern cal.
Ive rebuilt the brake system using all new drums,wheel cylinders, lines,master,shoes.ect.
My first thought was to upgrade to disks but cost and having to change wheels made me decide to do that at a later time.
I changed the studs to right hand thread on the front drivers side but as the pictures show you can see that my idea to cut off the stud and pound it out in the rear was poorly thought out and didnt work. :banghead:I will tackle that soon when I get back to work on it.
Anyways now it runs and stops : ) still a long ways off from being a daily driver.

Attachments

• 20140726_130453.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 715
  • 20150125_102553.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 648
  • 20140726_130436.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 655
Thanks for sharing, enjoy the ride and don't be afraid to ask for advice. Where in the bay area do you reside and how is it your car is in So-Cal?

So Im up in Fremont area and the car was orignally my dads. He gave it to me but im slowlt trying to restore it and make it reliable and presentable again. when done I plan on letting him keep it as long as he wants so he can enjoy it again and maybe take it to some of the local carshows.
I live in an apt. so its safer to leave the car down south were it can be more secured between work. My dad has owned the car since the late sixties (not sure what year).

Ok I know I havent had much to post in a while but hopefully soon I will.
ive ordered an electronic ignition conversion and some new motor mounts and a remanufactured 2 barrel carb. i did change the fuel pump and power stearing pump a month ago. i will be replacing the stock exhaust from the y back and adding new hangers since the old ones are gone.
i would love to do more but money is tight right now, im just trying to continue making forward progress until its daily drivable : )
Thanks all and Im loving all the great info ive been able to get from FABO so far.

I totally understand what your going through. Mine is in the garage where I live, but am going on 4 years of finishing the project. Glad to see another one being put back to use. Have an awesome day.

checkyour points setting if you changed to ecu yet then check your carb and timing , plug wires and filters or heres 2 options i have a 97-360 rollermotor for 1000.00 or ihave a 66 273 and 904still together , needs water pump buti:m sure i have that 2 , if you want to stay original love your choice in cars LIGHT EM UPPP

took 1 drive I WAZ ADDICTED====================================
OOPS A LITTLE WHEEL HOP 3MTA3 ON MY FIRST PLATES UNTIL THEY TOOK THEM AWAY 37 years later it still makes my weiner tingle lol
look in your rearveiw and read my plates Gooooooooooooooonnnnnnnneeeeee

Ok I finally have some more progress to report . I've replaced the complete exhaust and the car is currently in the local shop having the old worn out front end bushings replaced with all new polyurethane ones and a new idler and pitman arm. I had to take it to the shop for that work because thats a bigger job than im up for. I also scored a set of bilit aluminium 15"cragars with the 5x4.5 bolt pattern for a trade with my truck wheels so as soon as I get some adapters and tires to mount them up I will be offering up my old beat up 14" cragar ss wheels with the 5x4" small bolt pattern. I know, I know, the adapters will only be temporary until I can afford a disk swap.
Thats all for now, hopefully ill have some new pics to post up soon, Happy holidays all!

Every step gets you that much closer. Keep up the good work and Merry Christmas!

Ok I finally have some more progress to report . I've replaced the complete exhaust and the car is currently in the local shop having the old worn out front end bushings replaced with all new polyurethane ones and a new idler and pitman arm. I had to take it to the shop for that work because thats a bigger job than im up for. I also scored a set of bilit aluminium 15"cragars with the 5x4.5 bolt pattern for a trade with my truck wheels so as soon as I get some adapters and tires to mount them up I will be offering up my old beat up 14" cragar ss wheels with the 5x4" small bolt pattern. I know, I know, the adapters will only be temporary until I can afford a disk swap.
Thats all for now, hopefully ill have some new pics to post up soon, Happy holidays all!

I for one am excited to see your progress, and would love to see pics of your new rims!! Keep at it, it took me 12 years to completely redo the wifes 66!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 409
Its a time and money thing. If you have the money you don't have the time. If you have the time you don't have the money.

Ok so ive finally got some new pics to post. Heres the new wheels and tires and some specs. The wheels are American Racing Wheels Cragar style. Front are 15×6" Rear are 15×7" im sorry I didn't measure the offset and backspacing, I got them on a trade so I didn't get to choose. The tires are 205/60R15. Rear are 225/60R15 BF Goodwrich Radial T/A . I have 3/4" thick billit wheel adapters to convert the 5×4 to 5×4.5 lugs.
This kicks the tires out to the very lip of the wheel well with only 2mm of clearance from rubbing when the airshocks are lowered a bit. I may use 1-2" longer shackles so I can air down the rear shocks and soften the ride a bit. The plan is still to upgrade to disc brakes in the future when the rest is done.

Attachments

• 20160126_100415.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 354
  • 20160126_100430.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 307
  • 20160126_100459.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 295
  • 20160126_100516.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 316
  • 20160126_124207.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 388
  • 20160126_131222.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 378
Finally got some more progress last week.
I had a local carb shop rebuild my 2 barrel carter afb and wow! It runs alot smoother now. It actually accelerates quickly now and can even smoke the rear wheel (open diff) : (
Later this month im heading back down to so cal and plan to get the headliner replaced and tackle the rest of the interior myself.
Ill post pics of the interior work when done.

Awesome. Congratulations on the progress your making. Keep the updates coming

Awesome. Congratulations on the progress your making. Keep the updates coming
I didn't see it mentioned in any of your posts. (I may of missed it) Were the "bumpers" on your 64 in that good of shape when you started out on your restoration? The front bumper on my 65 is in great shape, but the chrome on the rear bumper is all but gone and there is some deterioration on its lower edge. I think I can rework it, but it would be nice to find one that is not damaged. I haven't had any luck finding one for a 65 on any of the "bumper sites." I changed out all of the lug nut studs on my 65 for all "right hands." It had "left hands" all the way around, don't know how that happened. Your are ahead of me on your restoration and your 64 looks great! Hope to test drive my 65 soon. BTW...I used my pneumatic rivet gun "aviation type" (like a "muffler cutter) and a flush rivet set to drive out my lug studs and used an installation tool I got from Rock Auto and my impact wrench to install the new studs. Did all twenty of them in about 45 minutes. Norm ATTACH=full]1714932877[/ATTACH]

upload_2016-5-8_22-13-41.png

I didn't see it mentioned in any of your posts. (I may of missed it) Were the "bumpers" on your 64 in that good of shape when you started out on your restoration? The front bumper on my 65 is in great shape, but the chrome on the rear bumper is all but gone and there is some deterioration on its lower edge. I think I can rework it, but it would be nice to find one that is not damaged. I haven't had any luck finding one for a 65 on any of the "bumper sites." I changed out all of the lug nut studs on my 65 for all "right hands." It had "left hands" all the way around, don't know how that happened. Your are ahead of me on your restoration and your 64 looks great! Hope to test drive my 65 soon. BTW...I used my pneumatic rivet gun "aviation type" (like a "muffler cutter) and a flush rivet set to drive out my lug studs and used an installation tool I got from Rock Auto and my impact wrench to install the new studs. Did all twenty of them in about 45 minutes. Norm ATTACH=full]1714932877[/ATTACH]

View attachment 1714932877
Yeah the bumpers on my 64 are in pretty good shape with only some minor piting on them. I will try to give them a good polish when I get around to removing them prior to paint (hopefully this year) .
The headlight bezels on mine were trashed though, I had to use "Liquid Steal" and bondo to smooth out all the damage and painted them with aluminum paint and clearcoat.
Sorry I didnt post any after pics.
Good luck on your 65' keep plugging away at it and youll be daily driving it in no time.
Great Idea btw on the lug removal. I was able to have the shop that sold me the tires punch my left hand turn lugs (rear only) out for free since I bought my tires from them. I got lucky there I guess.

-
Back